Social Responsibility of Employer

Adrian Peterson could certainly lose his job over this. Any person not in a union, especially in an at-will state, would likely lose their job over a situation like this, and rightfully so. An employer rightfully can look at the character and the decisions that his employee makes and decide that they are the wrong person to be representing their business - not to mention a distraction at the workplace and whatever else.

It's also not fair to have ill feelings toward the NFL for something that a player did off the field. It is, however, just fine to have ill feelings based on the NFL not only doing nothing about it, but from the appearance of the Ray Rice situation, actively covering it up. The NFL is an enormous industry with perhaps the highest visibility of any business entity in the United States. So you can argue that they have quite a lot of moral/social duty. They have a lot of influence over a lot of people, and they have a lot of children who grow up being football fans and a lot of female fans as well who they are throwing under the bus with their handling of this situation. The NFL had a chance to take a hard stand against these issues and they did not do it. Obvious moral/social duty aside, it's horrible for their business in an industry and in a time period where PR and your perception can make or kill your organization.

The insane part for me is how the NFL goes out of their way to make it look like they care about people and communities with their United Way sponsorship, Play60, the whole Breast Cancer thing, on and on and on. Yet now we see their true colors. Money is all they see behind the scenes; they don't give a sh#t about any actual issues. Personally I hope that AP, Rice, Dwyer, and Macdonald all get every bit of punishment they deserve under the law, I hope they all lose their jobs, I hope Goodell is ousted (not gonna happen) and I hope the NFL takes a big hit for their careless actions (also not gonna happen sadly).

So the drunk driver who killed the biker the other night on Saltillo Road in Lincoln was an employee at my work, we're supposed to keep quiet about him so I don't know what the process is in that kind of situation.

That is employer speak for trying to make sure they can let someone go without having to pay unemployment or severance packages

Adrian Peterson could certainly lose his job over this. Any person not in a union, especially in an at-will state, would likely lose their job over a situation like this, and rightfully so. An employer rightfully can look at the character and the decisions that his employee makes and decide that they are the wrong person to be representing their business - not to mention a distraction at the workplace and whatever else.

It's also not fair to have ill feelings toward the NFL for something that a player did off the field. It is, however, just fine to have ill feelings based on the NFL not only doing nothing about it, but from the appearance of the Ray Rice situation, actively covering it up. The NFL is an enormous industry with perhaps the highest visibility of any business entity in the United States. So you can argue that they have quite a lot of moral/social duty. They have a lot of influence over a lot of people, and they have a lot of children who grow up being football fans and a lot of female fans as well who they are throwing under the bus with their handling of this situation. The NFL had a chance to take a hard stand against these issues and they did not do it. Obvious moral/social duty aside, it's horrible for their business in an industry and in a time period where PR and your perception can make or kill your organization.

The insane part for me is how the NFL goes out of their way to make it look like they care about people and communities with their United Way sponsorship, Play60, the whole Breast Cancer thing, on and on and on. Yet now we see their true colors. Money is all they see behind the scenes; they don't give a sh#t about any actual issues. Personally I hope that AP, Rice, Dwyer, and Macdonald all get every bit of punishment they deserve under the law, I hope they all lose their jobs, I hope Goodell is ousted (not gonna happen) and I hope the NFL takes a big hit for their careless actions (also not gonna happen sadly).

I think your being a bit too harsh on the NFL and Goodell. Goodell has been put in a can't win situation here. Everyone wants him to be judge, jury and executioner which isn't fair to the players in trouble or to Goodell. Also fans outraged at Minnesota and Baltimore's GM's should cool off. It's hard enough to field a winning team and keep your job, let alone when the star player puts them in this position. The second these teams start turning in 6-10 records then the fanbase start to explode. You can't have it both ways. Maybe it should be easier for teams like this to make the right decision, by being awarded compensatory draft picks for player values when they release them.

• 4 weeks later...

Those photos were also taken days (a week?) after the whipping. There is zero doubt in my mind that's abuse of the worst kind. It's reprehensible and ugly and he should be punished.

Nobody is arguing against that.

I will tell you now as a business owner that if one of my employees does something like this, I am finding every possible legal avenue I can to fire them. No doubt about it

The company I work for has a stipulation in the hiring paperwork that states if we are arrested for any crimes such as DUI, assault or any other disturbing crimes in their eyes, we would be fired. They have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to crime and arrests.

Interesting. Do you have to be just arrested or convicted?

Just arrested...One of my co-worker got a DUI on a Saturday night and come Monday morning they called him into the office and let him go. He ended up getting diversion and never lost his license, just paid a fine and had a breathilizer put in his pickup.

Interesting. Do you have to be just arrested or convicted?

Just arrested...One of my co-worker got a DUI on a Saturday night and come Monday morning they called him into the office and let him go. He ended up getting diversion and never lost his license, just paid a fine and had a breathilizer put in his pickup.

Wow....

As far as NFL teams... Wouldn't they be more worried about the loss of revenue because of the Employees actions then the action itself? From a legal stand point anyway it seems like a legit reason to fire or let someone go.

I doubt it. NFL ratings are surging every year, most games are sold out or very close (to the point they may remove the black out since they haven't used it in decades) the product on the field is entertaining and highly competitive. Over all the NFL is a quality organization.

As far as NFL teams... Wouldn't they be more worried about the loss of revenue because of the Employees actions then the action itself? From a legal stand point anyway it seems like a legit reason to fire or let someone go.

I doubt it. NFL ratings are surging every year, most games are sold out or very close (to the point they may remove the black out since they haven't used it in decades) the product on the field is entertaining and highly competitive. Over all the NFL is a quality organization.

The NFL isn't losing revenue from attendance or television. But individual teams have been threatened by sponsors that they will pull their money if players with questionable issues are kept on the team. It happened this year with Adrian Peterson and the Vikings.

AD has a huge impact on the team in Minnesota, what they would have to figure out was it worse when they were going to let him play anyway or when they said they would suspend him. I guess I was talking more to the franchise then the whole NFL.

The Vikings did figure out it was worse keeping him active. Once they said he would be back, the hotel chain backed out of their sponsorship and others were bound to follow. No one wants to be associated in any way with people like Peterson. The ownership learned that lesson the hard way

Exactly so they basically fired him. So what is wrong with that?

They didn't fire him at all.

First they deactivated him for one game so he could appear in court in Texas. Then they activated him for the next game. They cam under fire for the move so they put him on some sort of exempt list that pays him not to play.

He is making $800,000 per week from the Vikings to not play football. If that's getting fired, sign me up.