If I am Coaching the Illini Today

I commit to stopping the run, and surrender some big plays to the Huskers. Allowing AA to get 7 yards per carry is a slow, painful and certain death. If the Huskers run the ball, it keeps the D off the field. The Husker D is lacking depth, so this favors the Huskers greatly. If the Illini can stop the Huskers from scoring on 50% of their drives, they may be able to win; especially if the Husker scoring drives are quick.

• Fire 1

The Illini defense is pretty poor against the run....

If they happen to stack the box, we'll see if that'll slow down the Huskers.

If it does, crossing my fingers Tommy can light them up through the air like he did against Fresno.

Should be interesting to see how the defense responds to Lunt's passing attack.

If Illinois wants the upset IMO, they have to do a few things:

-Force turnovers which creates better field position.

-Short chunk plays on offense to keep NEB's offense off the field

-Go deep to challenge the NEB secondary, while giving Lunt time to pass

I think the short chunk plays that keep the chains moving for the Illinois offense will happen, depends if NEB's defense doesn't break.

NEB can't keep Illinois in this game like they did against McNeese.

If I'm coaching the Illini today: I run a healthy mix of bubble screens and short passes to RBs out of the backfield. Also mix in a few crossing routes to prey on our LB coverage. On D I'd gamble a few times early in the game by walking a safety up to the line, and maybe a CB blitz or two. And I'd be harping on my guys to strip the ball on every play.

Really though, if I'm coaching the Illini I'd call up my brother-in-law and have him place a large wager for me on Nebraska, giving the 21.5 points. :lol:

If I'm coaching the Illini today...I commit to making the Nebraska Defense go sideline to sideline. I cut block RG 75% of the time. I rely on the arm of Lunt to stretch the field both directions. East/West and North/South. Keep them off balance.

On defense I stick to man to man coverage to allow for extra run support from any DB's. Make TA beat you with his arm. Key on AA on zone reads so I can hit TA every time they want to run it. I would crash my DE that is being read to hit TA every play even if he gives it to AA. Gotta get there quick enough to not have a penalty though.

I cut block RG 75% of the time.

I agree with your analysis, although I'm hoping that a conference opponent won't do this. That's a bit naive and all, but I'd really be sad to see them go after RG4 like that.

It's not illegal though. It's smart coaching. Trying to man up on him is absolutely ludicrous, especially if you don't have the athletic ability to block regular. Cut blocking neutralizes a one on one talent gap. I'm surprised we haven't see it more to be honest. It'll make RG slower on pass rush.

The more Randy gets cut, the better he will be against it. He has the ability to simply jump right over anyone cutting him, he just has to be able to read the cut coming and act accordingly. The more he sees it, the more often he'll jump it. I think it's going to become more and more risky to cut him rather than just going with a double team.

The more Randy gets cut, the better he will be against it. He has the ability to simply jump right over anyone cutting him, he just has to be able to read the cut coming and act accordingly. The more he sees it, the more often he'll jump it. I think it's going to become more and more risky to cut him rather than just going with a double team.

Disagree. There are 100 ways (ok not a 100) to cut block, legally.

There's maybe like 5 and most of them can be countered in the exact same way.

There's maybe like 5 and most of them can be countered in the exact same way.

The moment you start leaving your feet, you're gunna set your self up to get hurt worse than if you just keep hands on. LOL you don't just "jump" over a cut block.