Recruiting a great quarterback

JTrain

If you want to continue to see improvement from your QB, you should have one on staff.

If we don't and TA gets into a bad habit or two mechanically, who is there to correct it? We have plenty of evidence that TB isn't going to get that done.

As a bonus, a QB coach could function as a second OC on the field to calm TA down if he's pressing and examine the defense to see what they are doing and feed ideas upstairs to Beck.

Sometimes autonomy over an offensive system is not a good thing.

Isn't that what Barney is for? "The big picture guy" there is a reason he failed multiple times as an OC and the fact Beck leans on him for seeing things is scary enough

That was half of my point. Barnstache deserves a job in admin for what he's done for the program. But he's clearly not getting it done in that big picture role and hasn't been for some time. We need an outside set of eyes with a fresh perspective.

If you want to continue to see improvement from your QB, you should have one on staff.

If we don't and TA gets into a bad habit or two mechanically, who is there to correct it? We have plenty of evidence that TB isn't going to get that done.

As a bonus, a QB coach could function as a second OC on the field to calm TA down if he's pressing and examine the defense to see what they are doing and feed ideas upstairs to Beck.

Isn't that what Barney is for? "The big picture guy" there is a reason he failed multiple times as an OC and the fact Beck leans on him for seeing things is scary enough

That was half of my point. Barnstache deserves a job in admin for what he's done for the program. But he's clearly not getting it done in that big picture role and hasn't been for some time. We need an outside set of eyes with a fresh perspective.

Doubt it ever happens. Guessing Barney has dirt on Bo and Carl or something

I can't imagine having dirt on Carl is too difficult...

I can't imagine having dirt on Carl is too difficult...

Probaly even easier to have dust on him. Of the Angel family

Per Joe Ganz's profile on the team website...

"A record-setting quarterback for the Huskers, Joe Ganz has been elevated to a graduate assistant role in 2012 in his third year on the Nebraska coaching staff. Previously, Ganz served as a football intern and graduate manager in 2010 and 2011. Ganz works extensively with the Husker quarterbacks, in addition to helping offensive coordinator Tim Beck in a variety of roles."

That's your QB coach/on field coach dedicated to calming down TA. Literally the first person TA visits when he comes off the field. I understand he's not full time according to HR payroll, but i think most can agree his job is to work with the QB's.

Everyone keeps talking about getting a QB coach. Tim Beck is the QB coach and Offensive Coordinator. I think that's the way it's done everywhere. I can't think of any other program that has a dedicated QB coach that is not also coaching something else, and most often it's the OC. Is Beck a good QB coach I think is the question.

For those who don't know, coaching positions are limited by the NCAA. NU can't just go hire another coach without getting rid of an existing coach. TE coach Cotton seems to be everybody's nominee for replacement, but he's more than TE coach: Associate Head Coach/Run Game Coordinator/Tight Ends/Offensive Line.

Everyone keeps talking about getting a QB coach. Tim Beck is the QB coach and Offensive Coordinator. I think that's the way it's done everywhere. I can't think of any other program that has a dedicated QB coach that is not also coaching something else, and most often it's the OC. Is Beck a good QB coach I think is the question.

For those who don't know, coaching positions are limited by the NCAA. NU can't just go hire another coach without getting rid of an existing coach. TE coach Cotton seems to be everybody's nominee for replacement, but he's more than TE coach: Associate Head Coach/Run Game Coordinator/Tight Ends/Offensive Line.

Titles, so they can get him out of the main part of the offense.

Titles, so they can get him out of the main part of the offense.

Regardless, they aren't going to get rid of Cotton and bring in a dedicated QB coach.

Here is a very simple way to help TA. If his primary route is say Westy, split left doing a 10 yrs out then when the ball is hiked, IMMEDIATELY look to your right at say KB. TA has enough film that teams know his first look is his throw. This will freeze the safety, make the CB try and jump the route. Then IMMEDIATELY look back to your left and hit Westy. Even something as simple as having a pump move. TA stinks at what I call the East West throws. Westy goes into out (E/W) pump ad watch the DB's crash only to have Westy go deep (vertical) something TA does well. Now harder with no OL play, but its a start.

Mechanics are hard to improve without dedication, time, reps and a coach. teaching him to "look off" DB's at the snap is easier.

Looking one way and going another would increase his success tremendously. As would realizing he is a vertical thrower. Not side line to sideline IMO.

Great post.

I feel that, if you're going to have a QB coach, it needs to be a combined QB/WR coach. That single coach will teach the QB mechanics and footwork. Footwork has a lot more to do with smooth motion and timing than anything else. Both the QB and WRs will be taught how to read the coverage both pre snap and during the play. WRs are taught how to defeat press coverage and how to find the soft areas in a zone coverage. Since the WRs and QB are both making the same read, they should hopefully both be on the same page. If you can incorporate some of the active route shifting that the recievers make during a play that is the strong point of the Run and Shoot offense, and teach the fundamentals required to allow that reciever and QB to both make the same read while the play is happening, it would lead to a much better passing game. I actually know just a little bit about this, and those offenses were not meant to be run by amazing passers and dynamite recievers. It was made to be run by less talented guys who were better at drilling, and had excellent synchronization. It's usually a case of the system making the players look good.

How much experience does Beck have as a division 1 QB coach? How about ganz? We literally have 2 guys who have zero experience as QB coaches coaching the most vital position in football.

Look up and down our staff and you see a substantial amount of rookies or guys that hung out at lower levels for far to long because they weren't good enough for the big leagues

If NU wants to compete at all nationally we have to have a top 10 staff first and foremost. We obviously aren't going to out recruit many southern schools so we better be willing to out coach them

• Fire 1

How much experience does Beck have as a division 1 QB coach? How about ganz? We literally have 2 guys who have zero experience as QB coaches coaching the most vital position in football.

Look up and down our staff and you see a substantial amount of rookies or guys that hung out at lower levels for far to long because they weren't good enough for the big leagues

If NU wants to compete at all nationally we have to have a top 10 staff first and foremost. We obviously aren't going to out recruit many southern schools so we better be willing to out coach them

I agree with you. I don't believe Beck played QB though I've been unable to find what position he did play in college. Now, that's not necessarily a requirement, and I also think years of experience teaching the position can substitute for playing experience. But it seems our QBs are not getting the type of developmental position coaching they need.

It could be that the players themselves are just not able to develop more or faster. Prior to last year, the sample size consists of Taylor Martinez who, I think we can all agree, was a special case. Armstrong is still only a sophomore with what- 13 games under his belt? It could be it's too early to tell if Armstrong will eventually develop into more of a complete QB and whether Beck's teaching of the position will be vindicated.

well, as we speak, Ganz and Beck have 3+ years experience each.

well, as we speak, Ganz and Beck have 3+ years experience each.

At NU......

I agree with you. I don't believe Beck played QB though I've been unable to find what position he did play in college. Now, that's not necessarily a requirement, and I also think years of experience teaching the position can substitute for playing experience. But it seems our QBs are not getting the type of developmental position coaching they need.

It could be that the players themselves are just not able to develop more or faster. Prior to last year, the sample size consists of Taylor Martinez who, I think we can all agree, was a special case. Armstrong is still only a sophomore with what- 13 games under his belt? It could be it's too early to tell if Armstrong will eventually develop into more of a complete QB and whether Beck's teaching of the position will be vindicated.

He is in his 3rd year with the program

He is in his 3rd year with the program

But as a true freshman was on the scout team, studying and executing everyone else's offense.