Recruiting a great quarterback

JTrain

I thought Johnny Stanton was that "all everything" QB recruit but he sits at # 3 on the depth chart. It seems like we over hype our QB recruits and rarely do we find a real difference maker.

My concern is that Armstrong by having 2 more years of eligibility & Stanton having 3, the great QB recruits may look at schools in which they know they will be able to have an immediate impact - either as a true freshman or red shirt. Of course if he is that good, he might move to # one on the depth chart if Bo can overcome loyalties. Maybe TA can still develop into the good consistent QB that we need. Saturday night he was shaken and rattled behind all of the mistakes of our OL

Soo....Bo and Beck haven't proven they are willing to play underclassmen as QBs?

I think people need to reel back the Stanton hype a bit. I think most of it came from the Elite 11 camp he did so well in. But there's only so much you can learn from no-pad drills. I only watched one of his high school games and he threw 3 INTs. He looked very, very raw as a passer. There's probably a good reason he sits at #3 behind a walk-on.

• Fire 3

I think people need to reel back the Stanton hype a bit. I think most of it came from the Elite 11 camp he did so well in. But there's only so much you can learn from no-pad drills. I only watched one of his high school games and he threw 3 INTs. He looked very, very raw as a passer. There's probably a good reason he sits at #3 behind a walk-on.

Nonsense. Assassin says he's the man. He's the man. No if's ands or butts aboot it brotha.

• Fire 2

How many QB's won a NC while in college and then went on to become starters in the NFL since 2000? I'm not talking about getting drafted into the NFL. I'm talking about actually contributing in the NFL. Scam Newton is about the only one that comes to mind. Vince Young started some games, but where is he now? The college game is considerably different than the NFL. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a lot more interested in winning NC's than I am how our QB's do in the NFL.

How many QB's won a NC while in college and then went on to become starters in the NFL since 2000? I'm not talking about getting drafted into the NFL. I'm talking about actually contributing in the NFL. Scam Newton is about the only one that comes to mind. Vince Young started some games, but where is he now? The college game is considerably different than the NFL. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a lot more interested in winning NC's than I am how out QB's do in the NFL.

Besides the local Iowa city girls/party, that is one thing that Iowa has hung its hat on in recruiting is sending people to the NFL. This is a complicated question above my pay grade.

Because of our offense, Nebraska does net get good pro-style QBs. We look at athletic QBs who can run & throw in HS. Many of these players get recruited to play other positions. If we do get a pro-style QB, they are raw.

Eric Crouch was drafted in the NFL in 2001-2002, but as a safety. It is the style of offense that dictates what we recruit.

Sorry, he was drafted as receiver and later moved safety.

Because of our offense, Nebraska does net get good pro-style QBs. We look at athletic QBs who can run & throw in HS. Many of these players get recruited to play other positions. If we do get a pro-style QB, they are raw.

Eric Crouch was drafted in the NFL in 2001-2002, but as a safety. It is the style of offense that dictates what we recruit.

Exactly. Which is why we shouldn't be surprised by what we've got for QBs. If you ask me, it'd be better to focus on the offensive line if this is the type of system we want to run. A 'serviceable' QB would be fine if our O-line could churn out yds on the ground against decent competition. Johnny Manziel-types don't come along every day.

The coaches have said at his best Stanton is as good a QB as Nebraska has. The problem is his inconsistency. Without watching practice, it's hard to argue, and I see no reason why they would say this if it weren't true.

The coaches have said at his best Stanton is as good a QB as Nebraska has. The problem is his inconsistency. Without watching practice, it's hard to argue, and I see no reason why they would say this if it weren't true.

Link or reference please?

It was in fall camp I think. Look it up. I believe it was Pelini himself. Honestly though, I read and hear so much stuff I couldn't begin to track it down any easier than you.

Link or reference please?

It was in fall camp I think. Look it up. I believe it was Pelini himself. Honestly though, I read and hear so much stuff I couldn't begin to track it down any easier than you.

I recall hearing/reading the same thing. Bo was pretty blunt about the QB competition and dropped that line. Some plays he'll look like a first string QB, others he'll look like a 3rd string.