It Isn't the 90s Anymore - Or Is It?

NUpolo8

I just want to have one conversation without it devolving into why nobody else cares about Nebraska or not being elite.

Polo'd

Oh well...

A few things.

Your wish exists on a ton of topics on this forum.

I didn't do anything of the sort here, skersfan I believe had the first post about that.

Carry on.

Plus, it is easier to blame you than skersfan. :lol:

Alonzo-Mourning.gif

• Fire 1

Yeah it's not like it was 20 years ago!

20 years ago teams like Florida St, Oregon, Auburn, Texas A&M, Arizona USC and Nebraska were highly ranked!

Now......

Totally shocked that you forgot to mention Miami, Michigan, Syracuse, Florida, West Virginia, Penn State, Colorado, Utah, Tennessee, Northwestern, Kansas, BYU, North Carolina, Washington State, Tulane, Georgia Tech, and Marshall.

I thought this was about being being elite, not looking for reasons why we aren't.

Because Miami, Michigan, Florida, Penn State and Tennesse didn't win or play for national championships in the 90s?

20 years ago teams like Florida St, Oregon, Auburn, Texas A&M, Arizona USC and Nebraska were highly ranked!

Now......

Totally shocked that you forgot to mention Miami, Michigan, Syracuse, Florida, West Virginia, Penn State, Colorado, Utah, Tennessee, Northwestern, Kansas, BYU, North Carolina, Washington State, Tulane, Georgia Tech, and Marshall.

I thought this was about being being elite, not looking for reasons why we aren't.

Because Miami, Michigan, Florida, Penn State and Tennesse didn't win or play for national championships in the 90s?

Yes, they did, and perhaps the the chief reason why they aren't isn't because it's not 1994 anymore, it's because they're struggling with poor coaching.

There are several teams, like the ones I listed, that were successful twenty years ago and still are up right now. So it's possible. Let's all remember that.

I can think of lots, lots of reasons why Nebraska isn't winning championships, but the fact that "it isn't the 90's" isn't one of them.

Now......

I cant believe i'm doing this

*sighs*

*takes shot of whisky*

I agree with Polo. Listing teams who were elite but are now struggling is counterproductive. I'd rather look at the teams he is in order to hold onto the expectations that we still can as opposed to looking for reasons/excuses why we arent/cant.

*ducks under table*

No, that's not was he was doing and he knows it. It has nothing to do with what our current expectations are. It's just another way to take a jab.

How was Florida State from 2001-2011 better than where we are now? How about Oregon from 2002-2008? Or Auburn from 1995-2003? Or Texas A&M from 1999-2011? Or Arizona from 1999-2013? Or USC from 1996-2001? Really, to even include Oregon, Texas A&M and Arizona on that list is laughable but I guess you have to lower your expectations of who was elite 20 years ago to be able to try to make a better point.

Yes, if you want to cherry pick a few of the best teams now, find one good year they had 20 years ago and basically say "see all these teams can do it, why can't Nebraska", it's not hard to find a few teams that fit that description. But you have to ignore a bunch of other teams that couldn't keep up that level of success and are currently much worse than Nebraska.

Noting I said was about expectations.

• Fire 5

This is just depressing. We have went from one of the best teams in college football history, to worrying about Northwestern and Minnesota, praying we get to a loser conference championship. How far have we fallen, but if we only lose to Minnesota it would be very hard to reach our past lofty goal of only four losses. Pathetic. Of course we only lose because the cheaters at Michigan State have the clap.

The only thing keeping this program alive is the move to the pathetic Big 10. Oklahoma, Okie Lite, Baylor, TCU and KState and we know Texas would kick our asses every year. But of course that damned BC caused it all and is still the reason we can not change the snap count.

Good Lord Almighty. The amount of crying going on after a close road loss to a top ten team is nauseating.

It's not the 70s or 90s anymore. The entire landscape of college football has changed the past 20 years.

The past few years have proven that no game is a gimme, and I'm not just talking about Nebraska.

We can still win the conference and have an outside shot at the playoffs if since things straighten out.

I agree with skers

it's not that we lost. it's how we lost, AGAIN.

Again, folks wouldnt be nearly as ansy if this teams showed half the determination and tenacity in the 1 qtr of these games as they do in the 4th when it's out of reach. Unprepared. Mentally out of it. Stupid mistakes. Cant handle the moment. ALL repetitive themes of "big" games under Bo. It's not talent. it's not x's and o's. it's phsychology. And our continuous lack of such is wearing extremely thin. Folks say this team feels different. Yeah, I said that too. AFTER WEEK ONE. I even wanted to after Miami. But after the Michigan St game, it's obvious that the same ole teather is still strapped to our back, holding us down from that next step.

Can't believe we are worrying about anyone left on our schedule. That's the problem. I have been a fan of NU for 30 plus years. Not only has team fallen, so have the fans. We now are thinking the road to the B1G might go through Minny or Iowa? Give me a break. No wonder we choke on the big stage. Wonder if the kids feel this way. NU used to be world beaters. Contenders among the pretenders. Its attitude and our lack of that's killing us (and poor coaching decisions). Guys getting off sides because they are "scared" of getting beat on the OL. BS. Throat punch the guy and win. JP, GW and others weren't always "better" they were simply meaner. No scheme, system, rule change or decades apart changes this. Mean is mean and nasty is still nasty. Man up and win out. Lose one and play in some crappy Dec 15th bowl game. Its that simple. Play for revenge against MSU. Circle the rematch. Feed on the anger of being cheated out of a win. Play for a chance to show the college football talking heads who is the toughest team in the B1G. Just get mean.

• Fire 2

This is just depressing. We have went from one of the best teams in college football history, to worrying about Northwestern and Minnesota, praying we get to a loser conference championship. How far have we fallen, but if we only lose to Minnesota it would be very hard to reach our past lofty goal of only four losses. Pathetic. Of course we only lose because the cheaters at Michigan State have the clap.

The only thing keeping this program alive is the move to the pathetic Big 10. Oklahoma, Okie Lite, Baylor, TCU and KState and we know Texas would kick our asses every year. But of course that damned BC caused it all and is still the reason we can not change the snap count.

Good Lord Almighty. The amount of crying going on after a close road loss to a top ten team is nauseating.

It's not the 70s or 90s anymore. The entire landscape of college football has changed the past 20 years.

The past few years have proven that no game is a gimme, and I'm not just talking about Nebraska.

We can still win the conference and have an outside shot at the playoffs if since things straighten out.

I agree with skers

it's not that we lost. it's how we lost, AGAIN.

Again, folks wouldnt be nearly as ansy if this teams showed half the determination and tenacity in the 1 qtr of these games as they do in the 4th when it's out of reach. Unprepared. Mentally out of it. Stupid mistakes. Cant handle the moment. ALL repetitive themes of "big" games under Bo. It's not talent. it's not x's and o's. it's phsychology. And our continuous lack of such is wearing extremely thin. Folks say this team feels different. Yeah, I said that too. AFTER WEEK ONE. I even wanted to after Miami. But after the Michigan St game, it's obvious that the same ole teather is still strapped to our back, holding us down from that next step.

Can't believe we are worrying about anyone left on our schedule. That's the problem. I have been a fan of NU for 30 plus years. Not only has team fallen, so have the fans. We now are thinking the road to the B1G might go through Minny or Iowa? Give me a break. No wonder we choke on the big stage. Wonder if the kids feel this way. NU used to be world beaters. Contenders among the pretenders. Its attitude and our lack of that's killing us (and poor coaching decisions). Guys getting off sides because they are "scared" of getting beat on the OL. BS. Throat punch the guy and win. JP, GW and others weren't always "better" they were simply meaner. No scheme, system, rule change or decades apart changes this. Mean is mean and nasty is still nasty. Man up and win out. Lose one and play in some crappy Dec 15th bowl game. Its that simple. Play for revenge against MSU. Circle the rematch. Feed on the anger of being cheated out of a win. Play for a chance to show the college football talking heads who is the toughest team in the B1G. Just get mean.

But how do you really feel, Lo?

FWIW, I for one still feel we'll win out. I'll literally be disappointed if we don't. I'm not gonna sit around and speculate on how we might get in with another loss when we have no excuse not to win out.

Now......

I cant believe i'm doing this

*sighs*

*takes shot of whisky*

I agree with Polo. Listing teams who were elite but are now struggling is counterproductive. I'd rather look at the teams he is in order to hold onto the expectations that we still can as opposed to looking for reasons/excuses why we arent/cant.

*ducks under table*

No, that's not was he was doing and he knows it. It has nothing to do with what our current expectations are. It's just another way to take a jab.

How was Florida State from 2001-2011 better than where we are now? How about Oregon from 2002-2008? Or Auburn from 1995-2003? Or Texas A&M from 1999-2011? Or Arizona from 1999-2013? Or USC from 1996-2001? Really, to even include Oregon, Texas A&M and Arizona on that list is laughable but I guess you have to lower your expectations of who was elite 20 years ago to be able to try to make a better point.

Yes, if you want to cherry pick a few of the best teams now, find one good year they had 20 years ago and basically say "see all these teams can do it, why can't Nebraska", it's not hard to find a few teams that fit that description. But you have to ignore a bunch of other teams that couldn't keep up that level of success and are currently much worse than Nebraska.

Noting I said was about expectations.

Oregon that year won the PAC 10, damn near beat penn st for us in the Rose Bowl, and by 2000 was nearly to what they are now.

And the only thing I'm jabbing at is the asinine argument that Nebraska can't win now because it isn't the 90's anymore. Or we shouldn't expect consistent greatness because it's no long the 90's. Or whatever phrasing is used. It's dumb, and there's no reasoning behind it. And that is obvious when you look at the teams now and then.

And instead of admitting that, you want to throw the other teams that haven't done as well, as if it somehow makes it OK that we play Bo nearly four million dollars to win championships, and make Beck one of the richest coordinators in d-1 to not have a sputtering offense against a team with pulse.

Then you want play the shades of grey game and question how good Oregon was in 02-08 compared to us. Which means nothing but just for fun......

After they went 5-6 in 04 just like us they had a one loss season in 05, had a three loss season in 07 and finished in the top 10 in 08. So they did three things Nebraska hasn't been able to do in years. And everyone here would be ok with the five loss season they had in 06 if it meant we got the other things they did.

The whole point is that Nebraska has I think most of the necessary resources to be successful. The only thing I'm not sure of is coaching. That is the only thing holding this program back, not the calendar, not it's location, not it's facilities, not anything else that's been constructed as a false hurdle.

Edit-- I think (or thought) they played OU in the 05 holiday bowl. So that may be incorrect.

• Fire 2

Oregon that year won the PAC 10, damn near beat penn st for us in the Rose Bowl, and by 2000 was nearly to what they are now.

And the only thing I'm jabbing at is the asinine argument that Nebraska can't win now because it isn't the 90's anymore. Or we shouldn't expect consistent greatness because it's no long the 90's. Or whatever phrasing is used. It's dumb, and there's no reasoning behind it. And that is obvious when you look at the teams now and then.

And instead of admitting that, you want to throw the other teams that haven't done as well, as if it somehow makes it OK that we play Bo nearly four million dollars to win championships, and make Beck one of the richest coordinators in d-1 to not have a sputtering offense against a team with pulse.

Then you want play the shades of grey game and question how good Oregon was in 02-08 compared to us. Which means nothing but just for fun......

After they went 5-6 in 04 just like us they had a one loss season in 05, had a three loss season in 07 and finished in the top 10 in 08. So they did three things Nebraska hasn't been able to do in years. And everyone here would be ok with the five loss season they had in 06 if it meant we got the other things they did.

The whole point is that Nebraska has I think most of the necessary resources to be successful. The only thing I'm not sure of is coaching. That is the only thing holding this program back, not the calendar, not it's location, not it's facilities, not anything else that's been constructed as a false hurdle.

and i think we can admit the standards have changed. to me, being great would be a B1G championship, at least one in 7 years of a steady coaching staff. and not losing to inferior teams multiple times a year, and being competitive in almost every game. at least look like the coaches know what they are doing. nothing changed in college football that prevents us from doing it. hell, msu and wiscy are able to do it. and even mich. and iowa have won bcs games since we have. so, teams ebb and flow, some stay consistently good. none of that is the point.

• Fire 1

and i think we can admit the standards have changed. to me, being great would be a B1G championship, at least one in 7 years of a steady coaching staff. and not losing to inferior teams multiple times a year, and being competitive in almost every game. at least look like the coaches know what they are doing. nothing changed in college football that prevents us from doing it. hell, msu and wiscy are able to do it. and even mich. and iowa have won bcs games since we have. so, teams ebb and flow, some stay consistently good. none of that is the point.

Correct, and I think there are acceptable building blocks. No one expected us to get to the playoff this year, and would be ecstatic with a conference championship. Eventually, sure they would build, but that's just the way it is.

I just think it's funny how talk here went how we were going to be screwed out of the playoff because of Espn bias to asking how likely it is of us getting to Indy if we don't win out. Pretty big swing.

• Fire 2

While we are at it, OU has looked pretty good since 2000. Won the conference like 7-8 times, a few BCS bowls and played in the MNC.........The only thing that changes anything is attitude and coaching................

Clemson 3 conference titles, BCS win in five years.

Bama 3 conference titles, 3 MNC's....

Problem is, we haven't been relevant since 2001. Other programs have improved and stayed at the top of their game. they have had disappointments, but righted the ship. NU still struggles with the basics, penalties, TO's, crapping the bed in big games, not picking up MSI stole our snap count.............

yep, times have changes blah, blah, blah................

The kids have to go in fearing no team. Respect sure. Fear? Hell no. We need to quit being in awe and realize this team, after being hamstrung by play calling and stolen snap counts almost beat MSU in their house with 19 unanswered points. Quit pi$$ing yourselves and kick a$$. We have all the talent and athleticism others have. Play like it. Quit moaning, flush the loss and beat every team like they stole something.

Oh and we have to win out to have any hope of the B1G. #believe #winout #respect #revenge #savemyjob

• Fire 1

I would argue that in today's game with each team having 85 scholarships coaching is even more important than in the past. Simply ask yourself if our coaching staff is one of the 10 best in the country? If not we have the issue looking us right in the 4 loss face

In a vacuum maybe, one has to actually use all 85 scholarships, which is a whole other matter.

I would argue that in today's game with each team having 85 scholarships coaching is even more important than in the past. Simply ask yourself if our coaching staff is one of the 10 best in the country? If not we have the issue looking us right in the 4 loss face

In a vacuum maybe, one has to actually use all 85 scholarships, which is a whole other matter.

Managing and using the 85 scholarships would technically fall under the coaching staffs job duties right???

Managing and using the 85 scholarships would technically fall under the coaching staffs job duties right???

Yes, I just didn't want to get into that whole kettle of fish.

I don't think you need a top ten coaching staff to be a top ten team.......but you better be just a balls out recruiter. See Ole Miss. We don't have that either.