Nebraska vs Parity

NUpolo8

It's not about how many schools made it to the top 10 since Nebraska was last there. It's about the sustainability of those schools to stay there. My guess is that list is way smaller than 38.

This argument Dirk is making is about as pointless as the ones where people compare Bo and Nebraska to Oregon, Alabama, and Boise St with regards to the only schools that have won 9 games 6 years in a row.

Like. Look at Missouri. Gary Pinkel has always been an average coach at best, and an average recruiter. Yet despite his general mediocre-ness, they managed to have a #1 ranking in 2007 and finish #5, and almost played for the national championship last season.

I find this video very relevant to your thesis.

• Fire 1

The only thing this tells us is what we have known for a few years now under Bo Pelini, and what we have known for decades:

Nebraska is and always has been a bit of an enigma in college football.

only in that we are a small, isolated state. but, then boise st. was an enigma.

and neither are really enigmas. when we have good to great coaches, we do good to great. when we have bad to decent coaches, we do bad to decently.

But other schools have bad to decent coaches and still have 'parity' dream years every so often, thus, we are still a bit of an anomaly because we don't ever have the anomaly seasons.

Like. Look at Missouri. Gary Pinkel has always been an average coach at best, and an average recruiter. Yet despite his general mediocre-ness, they managed to have a #1 ranking in 2007 and finish #5, and almost played for the national championship last season.

Missouri fans are happy to trade those 2 good seasons for the 4 losing seasons that he has had. Would Husker fans?

• Fire 1

The only thing this tells us is what we have known for a few years now under Bo Pelini, and what we have known for decades:

and neither are really enigmas. when we have good to great coaches, we do good to great. when we have bad to decent coaches, we do bad to decently.

But other schools have bad to decent coaches and still have 'parity' dream years every so often, thus, we are still a bit of an anomaly because we don't ever have the anomaly seasons.

Missouri fans are happy to trade those 2 good seasons for the 4 losing seasons that he has had. Would Husker fans?

I'm not sure I'd be ok with 5 win seasons but I would no doubt do a 1-for-1 trade of 7 wins for 11+ win seasons. Hopefully that makes sense.

I'm not sure I'd be ok with 5 win seasons but I would no doubt do a 1-for-1 trade of 7 wins for 11+ win seasons. Hopefully that makes sense.

I get what you are saying. Some would do that and some wouldn't. Keep in mind that Missouri is doing this with the same coach. They aren't firing one every 4-6 years.

I get what you are saying. Some would do that and some wouldn't. Keep in mind that Missouri is doing this with the same coach. They aren't firing one every 4-6 years.

like the Steelers did with Cowher. And what theyre doing with Tomlin. They understand the down times and build back up.

On the flip side, my Chiefs were a consistent and perennial playoff team in the 90's under Schottnehiemer, (7 times in 9 years, the two they missed were winning seasons) but he had one losing year in '98, and they canned him. That franchise hasnt even sniffed that kind of year by year success since. I know these are NFL examples and it's a different game, but yet it's not. It just shows that sometimes continuity and not kneejerk is the way to go.

like the Steelers did with Cowher. And what theyre doing with Tomlin. They understand the down times and build back up.

On the flip side, my Chiefs were a consistent and perennial playoff team in the 90's under Schottnehiemer, (7 times in 9 years, the two they missed were winning seasons) but he had one losing year in '98, and they canned him. That franchise hasnt even sniffed that kind of year by year success since. I know these are NFL examples and it's a different game, but yet it's not. It just shows that sometimes continuity and not kneejerk is the way to go.

It's somewhat similar. but at least with the pros, you can pick players through the draft and entice FA's with truckloads of money. That only works at the collegiate level in the SEC.

• Fire 2

Parity: The favorite buzzword of college football journalism since the late '90s. Of course it's true that scholarship limits brought certain powerhouses back down to earth, and increased TV exposure helped some of the little guys make headway. But parity is overrated.

With parity, you would expect fewer teams to have sustained success near the top. You would expect many more teams making appearances in the polls, meaning fewer teams consistently holding ground there. OK, so let's look at the numbers.

In the 1980s (10 seasons), 18 teams enjoyed the sustained success of at least five finishes in the AP Top 25. Seven teams had at least five finishes in the AP Top 10. Of those, two had the ultra-success of seven Top 10 finishes (Miami and Nebraska before TO figured it out ;) )

In the 2000s (10 seasons), 25 teams enjoyed the sustained success of at least five finishes in the AP Top 25. Eight teams had at least five finishes in the AP Top 10. Of those, four had the ultra-success of seven Top 10 finishes.

Polo. You have convinced me. We need to fire Pelini ASAP.

Finish the season first.

I was being sarcastic. Firing Pelini in my opinion would set us back another 10 years...

Of which you have no proof. Instead of another Callahan, what if they found another Bob Stoops?

parity applies more to the fact that a mid-level can knock off a powerhouse - which was not even thinkable 20 years ago. the power house schools are still going to win 9+ most years and finish in the top 25...but the bottom feeders are paying 1million+ to coaches and pouring money into the programs at a similar pace as the mid-level and almost keeping pace with the top level schools. The gap between Baylor and Oklahoma isn't what it once was, the gap between Kansas and Nebraska isn't where it once was. There is money for everyone now.

• Fire 2

Polo. You have convinced me. We need to fire Pelini ASAP.

Finish the season first.

I was being sarcastic. Firing Pelini in my opinion would set us back another 10 years...

I believe it would be a conference title within 3 years.

Of which you have no proof.

• Fire 3