What constitutes satisfaction?

tmfr15

I have seen numerous people right here on HB who seem to be fairly content or satisfied with the way things are currently. Many of them seem to be younger people and they seem to have lower expectations than many of the older posters. Not all by any means but generally speaking. But, even these people will say they are not satisfied but it sure doesn't prevent them from sticking up for the current situation of 9 wins, 4 losses, the coaching staff, etc. They stick up for it every chance they get but, when asked directly, they claim no one is saying they are satisfied.

I am someone who doesn't want coaching change......and someone who is also not "satisfied". But as we look back on a 50 year history of Nebraska football, we have benefitted more from coaching continuity than change.

• Fire 1
What constitutes satisfaction?

What are the three best things on a Chinese Buffet?

Blondes, Brunettes or Redheads?

A shaken or stirred martini?

Springtime or Autumn?

Chevy or Ford?

What I am getting at is that we don't have to settle on one definitive answer for the entire forum audience. More than that, we CAN'T settle on the one definitive answer. Some people have higher standards than others. For example, some people are disappointed if they don't get a trophy sized buck when deer hunting, I could care less if my deer has antlers. However, I'm picky about WHERE the bullet hits, since I am a "meat hunter".

So my benchmark is: If we play well and coach well, then let the chips fall where they may. I didn't like Oklahoma always beating us, but they usually had nine of the ten fastest guys on the field, and I couldn't berate someone for not being fast enough. Same with Cameron Meredith not being able to go toe to toe with Wisconsin's offensive linemen. Now, if we do dumb things (clapping for the ball and not catching on when the opponent's defense catches on) or committing an endless litany of penalties (an example, not an accusation) or in some way don't play anywhere close to our potential, I am not satisfied.

• Fire 1

I have seen numerous people right here on HB who seem to be fairly content or satisfied with the way things are currently. Many of them seem to be younger people and they seem to have lower expectations than many of the older posters. Not all by any means but generally speaking. But, even these people will say they are not satisfied but it sure doesn't prevent them from sticking up for the current situation of 9 wins, 4 losses, the coaching staff, etc. They stick up for it every chance they get but, when asked directly, they claim no one is saying they are satisfied.

I am someone who doesn't want coaching change......and someone who is also not "satisfied". But as we look back on a 50 year history of Nebraska football, we have benefitted more from coaching continuity than change.

Continuity or being blessed to have two extremely gifted HOF coaches with great staffs?

• Fire 1

It's really not the lack of big wins or championships that bothers me. It's the embarrassing blowouts and the games where we come out unprepared and get beat due to simple lack of fundamentals and basic execution. Those are the games where I'm unsatisfied. I can handle not winning it all but I can't handle looking like one of the worst teams in CFB.

This right here. Couldn't have said it better.

Continuity or being blessed to have two extremely gifted HOF coaches with great staffs?

We wouldn't have known about the second part without the first....and 1979 and 1990 had possibilities of disrupting that. Osborne's legacy is the last 5 years of a 25 year head coaching career.

• Fire 1

Absolutely, I am resistant to coaching change for this very reason also. But, as we look at that 50 year history, the period of time where we benefitted from stability was the direct result of 2 very good coaches, Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne. Those two are enough to skew any result you want to claim. The manner in which Frank was fired was regrettable and his replacement has contributed to the feeling that any change will invariably go poorly. I just don't see where it is indicative that things could not also change for the better. Pelini has straightened out a lot of things that went awry during the Callahan era but, I also know that with our conference and schedule, there is not much reason for Nebraska to settle for 4 losses, some embarrassing, year in and year out. I just happen to think Bo has peaked and I have seen no evidence things will progress any further. I'm not calling for his head mid season, and I also realize it is practically impossible to get rid of a coach that wins 9 or 10 every year but, we are still under performing numerous times per season, and we still have gone too long for a CC and have been outside the top ten too often imo.

In hindsight, of course we should have either got rid of Frank a year sooner (when his record warranted it) or given him more time. Anything except the way it went it down. However, I believe we are currently in a tougher predicament. We're padding our record (9 wins) against mediocre competition and falling on our face in games of importance and even in some that should not really be in question. Too good to fire a guy and too poor to be real excited about. Limbo Land....and it seems like it's been F O R E V E R.

We wouldn't have known about the second part without the first....and 1979 and 1990 had possibilities of disrupting that. Osborne's legacy is the last 5 years of a 25 year head coaching career.
What did we finish ranked in those seasons?

How you end the season makes a big difference.

Because it's a long, long off-season.

Beating a higher-ranked opponent in a bowl game would be satisfying. All by itself and because it's something to build on.

I wouldn't become complacent with it, I promise.

I'd just find it satisfying.

Agree. It sure was nice having that Georgia bowl game result to look at for all those months this previous off season.

I will answer for you 79 top 10, 90 24. Neither season had 4 losses. We finished ranked outside the top 10 7 times in 25 years with TO. We have finished ranked outside the top 10 every year with Bo. Seems like we let our expectations slip a bit

So the contract for the new coach reads finish outside the top 10 and you're history, right?

I will answer for you 79 top 10, 90 24. Neither season had 4 losses. We finished ranked outside the top 10 7 times in 25 years with TO. We have finished ranked outside the top 10 every year with Bo. Seems like we let our expectations slip a bit

So the contract for the new coach reads finish outside the top 10 and you're history, right?

Finish outside the top 10 for over a half a decade straight then yes

Finish outside the top 10 for over a half a decade straight then yes

I can hear the candidates beating on the door now.