Passes in the flat

Seems Armstrong is still struggling a bit with these. Obviously Beck wants these passes to be part of the gameplan to eventually extend the field vertically.

Is it footwork, technique, confidence......what do you think is the obstacle?

I think it's absolutely necessary to do it and to be able to do it right under pressure if we want to have a chance against the top defenses and don't want to look like the first three quarters of MSU again. Hopefully Pierson-El will play a bigger part in it.

Black 41 Flash Reverse Passes are pretty good too.

I think part of it is how deep he drops back. It's perfect for deep throws, but throws the timing off on short throws.

Not to mention making it difficult on the tackles to block for a guy that far behind the line.

I don't think that's really a problem. The depth on his drops seems fine most of the time. Just not on short timing routes, sometimes. He's not always giving himself enough time to set his feet and deliver the ball in time. I mean, he ends up throwing it on time, he just doesn't have his feet set yet, and he's losing accuracy. That's just what I'm seeing anyway, and I certainly don't claim to be an expert.

However, it seemed like he improved on it during the bye week. Something to build on, maybe.

I have always felt that Beck wastes too many downs on throwing in the flat. First, they don't hit them on the fly so the defense usually hits them around the line of scrimmage. If they persist, they need to develop the play action to the other side to draw the linebackers and safeties. We don't seem to get this done well. Second, the 6 point area is up the field not on sidelines. We don't throw enough up the middle short or medium. We should make more use of the tight end and backs flaring out of the backfield. We should not waste those precious three quarters seconds in our own flat and allow the defense to react.

Pet peeve of mine, teach the receivers to go for the 1st down line and suggest to Tommy that throwing short of that yardage does not always work.

Another pet peeve, the receivers after becoming a ball carrier will sometimes come to a stop and rabbit their feet up and down trying to decide on a juke move. Usually, they just lose time while the defense closes in about 2-3 yards before the rabbit feet try to step out.

• Fire 1

I have always felt that Beck wastes too many downs on throwing in the flat. First, they don't hit them on the fly so the defense usually hits them around the line of scrimmage. If they persist, they need to develop the play action to the other side to draw the linebackers and safeties. We don't seem to get this done well. Second, the 6 point area is up the field not on sidelines. We don't throw enough up the middle short or medium. We should make more use of the tight end and backs flaring out of the backfield. We should not waste those precious three quarters seconds in our own flat and allow the defense to react.

Pet peeve of mine, teach the receivers to go for the 1st down line and suggest to Tommy that throwing short of that yardage does not always work.

Another pet peeve, the receivers after becoming a ball carrier will sometimes come to a stop and rabbit their feet up and down trying to decide on a juke move. Usually, they just lose time while the defense closes in about 2-3 yards before the rabbit feet try to step out.

I agree with the bolded. TA's money is made on the deep routes (middle or sideline) and on the routes to the middle of the field. For whatever reason, (maybe as The Duke) alluded) TA doesn't set his feet on the routes to the flats i.e. not dropping quick enough or tries to do a 5 vs 3 step drop and when the receiver breaks, TA's not set, but throws anyway.

TE's and RB's across the middle kill us. I would love to see us add that. Even for a few plays per game to get it on film and make the LB's go with the TE every time to help pull them out of the box.

Man I'm glad someone else notices this. It drives me crazy when these guys get the ball and they don't go north and south. This pitter-pattering, hesitating, it usually does nothing more than end the play right there. I'd like to see these guys catch and secure the ball and immediately step upfield. I appreciate shiftiness and the ability to juke an opponent out of their shoes, but usually this is done at a higher speed and a sudden change of direction by planting one foot or the other. When we do it we seem to be standing in one place running an invisible flight of stairs........it looks ridiculous.

Man I'm glad someone else notices this. It drives me crazy when these guys get the ball and they don't go north and south. This pitter-pattering, hesitating, it usually does nothing more than end the play right there. I'd like to see these guys catch and secure the ball and immediately step upfield. I appreciate shiftiness and the ability to juke an opponent out of their shoes, but usually this is done at a higher speed and a sudden change of direction by planting one foot or the other. When we do it we seem to be standing in one place running an invisible flight of stairs........it looks ridiculous.

DPE is a prime example of this. Watch his PR's. One cut and up. He immediately tries to get North. No juking, no attempt to be shifty. Make the first guy miss with a quick step and gone. Same with his limited receptions.