TA Needs to Help OLine by Being In The Pocket

Mavric

Isn't the depth of the drop determined by the playcall and timing with the routes? I've always understood it to be that there are 3, 5, and 7 step drops depending on the how long you want the routes to develop. Maybe I'm wrong.

There are definitely calls for 3, 5 and 7 step drops but that is when the QB is under center. Doesn't work the same way out of the pistol/shotgun.

Isn't the depth of the drop determined by the playcall and timing with the routes? I've always understood it to be that there are 3, 5, and 7 step drops depending on the how long you want the routes to develop. Maybe I'm wrong.

There are definitely calls for 3, 5 and 7 step drops but that is when the QB is under center. Doesn't work the same way out of the pistol/shotgun.

Are you sure? I'm about 85% sure that a big part of Taylor's work with Calhoun, as reported, was his drops in shotgun/pistol both on straight passes and on play actions, and getting the footwork and drop depths right.

A big part of it was that his first two years his first step back was with his left foot instead of his right, which turned his upper body the wrong direction than conducive for passing the ball, and also made him have to take an extra step to progress through his dropback.

Are you sure? I'm about 85% sure that a big part of Taylor's work with Calhoun, as reported, was his drops in shotgun/pistol both on straight passes and on play actions, and getting the footwork and drop depths right.

A big part of it was that his first two years his first step back was with his left foot instead of his right, which turned his upper body the wrong direction than conducive for passing the ball, and also made him have to take an extra step to progress through his dropback.

There are still drops. It's not totally different. But the drops should be a lot shorter to not at all out of shotgun.

Right. But there's some type of corollary from shotgun so the timing is right.

I agree with you that stepping up into the pocket is a different issue. It's hard to say whether it would help or not on any particular play without knowing where everyone is and what's happening on the field. I'll take your word for it that in the examples you showed it would have bought him the right amount of time to make the correct throw.

How did TM ever get started on the wrong foot? If that dude had played QB for more than a couple years in HS, and had time to get his fundamentals right, he would have been an amazing QB.

Yall just over analyze dis shiggidy. Here lets make it simple,

Line can't block cuz sterup look high on colorado state flower, Pelini at center, yeah, thanks uncle bo, Armstrong coach by Joe Ganz, ain't teach him shiggidy bout pass mechanic, and he panic to fast.

He da fastest qb who get sacked mo den anybody I see.

There u go analyzation thanks to me, out

You all just over analyze this sh!t. Here, let's make it simple.

The line can't block because Sterup appears to be playing under the influence of marijuana. Pelini at center is nepotism at its finest. TA is being coached by Ganz! Ganz is incompetent and unable to teach him sh!t. TA also appears to get flustered in the pocket and panic causing errant decisions and passes.

TA is the fastest QB I have seen, who has gotten sacked more than any other QB I have seen.

The above is my complete analysis os the issues facing TA as the QB as observed by myself. Good bye.

I'm am here all week for any translations that are needed.

• Fire 2

Yeah those are excellent points. My feeling is that pocket presence is probably a tough thing to pick up on and will only come with time. I'm sure the coaches are pointing this out in film sessions and hopefully it can be corrected. The line played very well overall in those plays.

Yeah those are excellent points. My feeling is that pocket presence is probably a tough thing to pick up on and will only come with time. I'm sure the coaches are pointing this out in film sessions and hopefully it can be corrected. The line played very well overall in those plays.

Here's an honest question. If arm chair coaches, myself included, can identify issues I am sure the coaches can as well. In regards to TA, is it possible that they don't care about these issues and that is why we have seen them for 2 years? Maybe they feel these "issues" aren't costing us games and "if it ain't broke don't try to fix it". They look at the good vs the bad and continue to bank on him "getting it". Much like Martinez continued to have issues until he sought out private help.

Maybe at this point in his career/season the staff is content to continue to allow him to play like this as we are winning. Rely on him to not make mistakes and let the running game and vertical passing game (screens/swing passes when completed) be the staple on O while the D continues to improve. Similar to 2009, but also having an O with a pulse.

To the issue of pocket passers vs. dual threat QBs: just heard a guy on ESPN talking about whether Robert Griffin III will ever reemerge as a viable NFL QB. He said RGIII still had the mentality of a college football playmaker as opposed to an NFL pocket passer, presumably the latter being preferable.

Is it? I guess so. But the playmaker mentality still has to count for something. I think this goes along with the criticism that Tommy doesn't look down his progressions when he drops back to pass. It occurs to me that dual threat playmakers will never look down progressions the same way pocket passers do, because their #2 option isn't another receiver, it's making the decision: can I just take off running and get the same yards without putting the ball in the air? A thought that rarely occurs to Peyton Manning.

Maybe it's one too many things for a QB to think about, but it's also a pretty terrifying thing for defensive coordinators to think about.

My take is that Tommy is inconsistent like many CFB QBs. Even Connor Cook has issues with foot placement and decision making from time to time. The negatives have been talked about ad nauseum. I'll give ya some positives: With all the pressure he was getting in the MSU game, he moved in the pocket fairly well at times to avoid a sack. The pass play of beauty came late in the 4th quarter when he threw that complete pass to Moore on the right side. He showed patience, stepped into the pocket and threw a beautiful ball in stride to Moore. Another positive instance occured when he made a nice read through his progressions with a first down pass on Pierson-El's long run off of a slant route in the NW game. He looked to his left, nothing there, looked to the middle of the field, boom!

Tommy has made his fair share of solid passes thus far this year IMO.

Yall just over analyze dis shiggidy

Do you speak anything that me, a white man, have decided is acceptable vernacular?

helped you out

See, da thing be u gets what Im rollin, but u decides instead that it be mo betta,yeah be da clown. Naw..that ain't how I throw it back. I respects, u should too.

Hell, u think u da expert at clownin, but the very team u rootin fo be mostly made of my ancestry lineages, so smoke yo sterup stick and meditate in dat, will u?!

To the issue of pocket passers vs. dual threat QBs: just heard a guy on ESPN talking about whether Robert Griffin III will ever reemerge as a viable NFL QB. He said RGIII still had the mentality of a college football playmaker as opposed to an NFL pocket passer, presumably the latter being preferable.
Is it? I guess so. But the playmaker mentality still has to count for something. I think this goes along with the criticism that Tommy doesn't look down his progressions when he drops back to pass. It occurs to me that dual threat playmakers will never look down progressions the same way pocket passers do, because their #2 option isn't another receiver, it's making the decision: can I just take off running and get the same yards without putting the ball in the air? A thought that rarely occurs to Peyton Manning.
Maybe it's one too many things for a QB to think about, but it's also a pretty terrifying thing for defensive coordinators to think about.

Makes sense. Carolina Panthers fan. I have watched Cam go from a dual threat QB to one that Rivera is trying to make into more of a "typical" NFL QB. IMO they have taken away or limited what made him so good his first few seasons. His ability to make a read and then take off and use his legs. Dude is big, won't get laid out by DB's or LB's as he is as big if not bigger than most. But, Carolina is dialing it back to throw for a completion or go out of bounds with the ball.

My point being, NU like Carolina and Cam need to let TA be TA. If they can't teach or he won't learn the "proper" QB mold let him run. Design the passing game around the PA, vertical passing and his running. Instead of trying to have him be a pocket passer, roll the pocket and let him get a head of steam and either hit the primary, the outlet or simply follow the OL upfield. Let him run. Much like DPE in the return game. He makes one move (one read) and goes.