An Interesting Blind Resume Test (Please Stop Screaming About SEC Bias)

Landlord

Cowherd just said that he thinks the committee actually had a little Anit-SEC bias since Bama should be higher than 6, and Georgia is much better than 11. I feel so much better now.

WTF????

3 of 4 are from the SEC and they complain because the next two are too low when they are still in the top 11?

What a bunch of BS. That is such a week argument that I'm shocked it was even attempted.

Honestly, I think he was mainly being a smartass about it. All ESPN talkers lately have just been rubbin it in the nation's face and making smartass comments. If you ever listen to Cowherd you would understand it.

Cowherd just said that he thinks the committee actually had a little Anit-SEC bias since Bama should be higher than 6, and Georgia is much better than 11. I feel so much better now.

WTF????

3 of 4 are from the SEC and they complain because the next two are too low when they are still in the top 11?

What a bunch of BS. That is such a week argument that I'm shocked it was even attempted.

Honestly, I think he was mainly being a smartass about it. All ESPN talkers lately have just been rubbin it in the nation's face and making smartass comments. If you ever listen to Cowherd you would understand it.

No thanks.

• Fire 1

But aren't all the SEC "wins over top 25 teams" actually wins over other similarly overrated SEC teams? What was the SEC's big out of conference win this year? Auburn over Kansas State? Ohhh boy.

This.

Add it Alabama over a decent-looking West Vriginia team. The rest is full of terrible teams - not to mention no road games.

this would be a good argument if other conferences had good wins in or our of conference. some teams do from other conferences, but there are few. i did not look at them all, but probably no more than two or three per conference, if that.

i mean, wiscy is not even considered a good out of conference win for an SEC team, evidenced by it being ignored in the above posts.

But aren't all the SEC "wins over top 25 teams" actually wins over other similarly overrated SEC teams? What was the SEC's big out of conference win this year? Auburn over Kansas State? Ohhh boy.

This.

Add it Alabama over a decent-looking West Vriginia team. The rest is full of terrible teams - not to mention no road games.

this would be a good argument if other conferences had good wins in or our of conference. some teams do from other conferences, but there are few. i did not look at them all, but probably no more than two or three per conference, if that.

i mean, wiscy is not even considered a good out of conference win for an SEC team, evidenced by it being ignored in the above posts.

You are very right.

That is why absolutely every fan or "expert" who proclaims the SEC as the greatest conference in the world right now doesn't have a friggen clue. NOBODY knows how good any conference is. That is also why multiple teams in a 4 team play off from any one conference is just total BS.

• Fire 1

This.

You are very right.

That is why absolutely every fan or "expert" who proclaims the SEC as the greatest conference in the world right now doesn't have a friggen clue. NOBODY knows how good any conference is. That is also why multiple teams in a 4 team play off from any one conference is just total BS.

i have softened my stance a little. and thank you.

i agree that no one knows. it is all up to the "eyeball" test. but, at the same time, we are pretending that the sec has not proved themselves year after year. is the gap huge? no. but they win when it counts more times than not. and for the biggest game of them all, they are at least there year in and year out (blame that on bias if you want, but every team at the start of the year has a chance to get there, excluding 2004 auburn). so, when you have limited and imperfect information, you go on trends.

but i am just not worried because this will either work itself out, or at least a lot of teams (including neb.) will have a chance to prove themselves. and that is all you can ask for.

espn and sec are loathsome, but they are not the boogeymen we want them to be.

and finally, that is the playoff picture right now. and ole miss is at best a head scratchier (i wonder if that was not the committee trying to tell us something about how they think? wins matter more the respectable losses? i mean, neb. did pretty good with just one respectable loss, and not any good wins), but that will certainly work itself out. quite nicely i imagine as well.

just my imo.

It amazes me how some on this board are so much more qualified, than some of the greatest minds in college football. If Tom or Barry would only come on this board and soak up some of the never ending knowledge about how teams play, forget about all the information they get that no one else even sees, spend hours in meetings over this. But as usual Nebraska fan always knows better.

SEC has won the MNC 7 out of the last 8 and played in every single one, against what was supposed to be the second best team. They have more NFL talent drafted from that conference in a year than all the other ones combined or close to. Several Hall of Fame coaches to be. For sure our posters have a far better idea of what is going in college football. No question.

Maybe we can cut back on Tom's retirement, now that he takes that big check from ESPN & the SEC.

• Fire 1

You are very right.

i agree that no one knows. it is all up to the "eyeball" test. but, at the same time, we are pretending that the sec has not proved themselves year after year. is the gap huge? no. but they win when it counts more times than not. and for the biggest game of them all, they are at least there year in and year out (blame that on bias if you want, but every team at the start of the year has a chance to get there, excluding 2004 auburn). so, when you have limited and imperfect information, you go on trends.

but i am just not worried because this will either work itself out, or at least a lot of teams (including neb.) will have a chance to prove themselves. and that is all you can ask for.

and finally, that is the playoff picture right now. and ole miss is at best a head scratchier (i wonder if that was not the committee trying to tell us something about how they think? wins matter more the respectable losses? i mean, neb. did pretty good with just one respectable loss, and not any good wins), but that will certainly work itself out. quite nicely i imagine as well.

just my imo.

I don't disagree with you. In fact, I agree with a lot of what you said.

However, I want to highlight the bolded part above.

I'm not pretending anything. However, last year was last year. That should have absolutely NO bearing on how teams are ranked or viewed right now in this season. The problem is, it does because it affects the preseason polls which then affects how every other team is viewed when they go through the season with wins and losses.

• Fire 1

It amazes me how some on this board are so much more qualified, than some of the greatest minds in college football. If Tom or Barry would only come on this board and soak up some of the never ending knowledge about how teams play, forget about all the information they get that no one else even sees, spend hours in meetings over this. But as usual Nebraska fan always knows better.

SEC has won the MNC 7 out of the last 8 and played in every single one, against what was supposed to be the second best team. They have more NFL talent drafted from that conference in a year than all the other ones combined or close to. Several Hall of Fame coaches to be. For sure our posters have a far better idea of what is going in college football. No question.

Maybe we can cut back on Tom's retirement, now that he takes that big check from ESPN & the SEC.

Have you sat in on the meetings? How do you know they aren't the minority arguing against what ultimately came out?

And, once again....the bolded part should have absolutely NO affect on where teams are ranked right now.

All of this. When a lower ranked $EC team beats a higher ranked $EC team, the higher ranked team barely drops and the lower ranked team skyrockets, but if that happens to any other conferences teams, the higher ranked team plummets while the lower ranked team gets bumped up a few notches.

Hey not to let facts get in the way of your circle jerk, but:

When #21 Texas A&M beat #9 South Carolina, #9 South Carolina dropped to #21, which is a plummet of 12 spots.

When unranked Arizona beat #2 Oregon, #2 Oregon dropped to #12, which is only 10 spots.

When unranked Virginia Tech beat #8 Ohio State, #8 Ohio State dropped to #22, which is 14 spots.

When unranked Mississippi State beat #8 LSU, #8 LSU dropped to #17, which is 9 spots.

When #5 Auburn beat #15 LSU, #15 LSU dropped out of the polls, which is over 10 spots.

When #4 Baylor lost to unranked West Virginia, #4 Baylor dropped to #12, which is 8 spots.

When #25 TCU beat #4 Oklahoma, #4 Oklahoma dropped to #11, which is 7 spots.

I agree on the fact they do not play out of conference. But do you really think they are afraid to play tough out of conference games, or do they feel they play in a much tougher conference and get beat up enough in conference, play ranked teams so the need to go else where is not needed.

I do not think Florida has ever played on the road against a BCS level team.

Bama does, Tennessee does, but the rest stay home if possible.

I would agree with some of your posts, if they were not so dominant in the NFL drafts. That is where I changed my mind on the level of play.

I do not agree with the Ole Miss ranking, nor do I agree with the ND ranking. Florida State I think goes down tonight.

But none of this has any meaning at this time. Just a guide, and a whole lot is going to change on November 8th.

I truly think the committee got it pretty close to right.

The big ten did not win many games out of conference that mattered. I think Indiana was the main one over Missouri.

Give it some time.

Mississippi State was not ranked in the top 25 to start the season.

I agree that we should see them out of conference traveling to the west and north. I think you are going to see that change in the next few years.

But I do not ever want to see conference champions guaranteed entry with a 4 team playoff, 8 teams then okay.

I want to see the best teams play. I do not feel the big conference will or should be in it at this time. Michigan State screwed the pooch with their loss to Oregon.

But anything can happen. Some of the SEC teams are going to go away for sure, same as the Pac 12 and Big 12. By the time the final game is played, it could be all together different. Here is hoping we win our games, that is all Nebraska can control.

If there was major controversy in the committee, we would hear about it is my guess. Maybe not this this week, but down the road.

Just need to let the games play out and see what happens.

This.

You are very right.

just my imo.

I knew there was one other team I was forgetting (Wisconsin). But they looked really bad early in the year, we minus Gordon for the second half of that game and had a QB that couldn't throw. So, no, I don't think that was really a good win.

I actually feel the same way you do. They are the best conference but not by as much as many like to think. But their grip seems to be slipping to some degree. They were 5-3 against other Power 5 conference teams in bowl games last year which is good but they were 3-0 in games where the SEC team had a better record going in, 1-1 in games where the teams had the same record and 1-2 in games where the SEC team had a worse record entering the game - the one win being over a 10-4 Duke team that had aTm down by 21 at one point. So they benefited from some favorable match-ups although you can argue that they eared them by winning regular season games.

Add in the fact that their two "best" teams both lost their BCS games last year and I think it's fair to question if the gap is that much if any anymore. And they play scant few Power 5 teams out of conference so we don't have a lot to go by this year. They are 4-2 against other Power 5 teams this year with wins against KState and Wisconsin who both played terribly, a Texas Tech team that is coming apart at the seams and Clemson. They lost to an Indiana team that is winless in B1G play and Oklahoma.

There are a few more OOC games yet to come and then bowl matchups where we'll find out more.

• Fire 1