True Talent Level ?

Comish

Tackling fundamentals and proper pursuit angles are absolutely coaching issues. As are continuous mistakes. Turnovers, blown coverages, and run-fit errors are all mistakes players make. When it is several players over a span of many years and many opponents making the same mistakes, it is a coaching mistake. If these coaches responsible for these mistakes are retained, it is an Administration mistake.

• Fire 1

No I think our talent level is right there with everyone this year. I also havent been overly impressed by any team this year. Too bad we couldnt utilize it when the top was ripe for the picking.

I hate Wisconsin.

Talent is right there with everyone this year? We were blown out of the water by MSU for almost 4 quarters, Wisconsin smoked us, and we barely sneaked out a win against a FCS school. The talent is NOT there. Did you see the tackling yesterday? Did you see the pursuit angles yesterday? Nebraska has a few good players (Abdullah and Gregory) and the rest are pretty average.

I whole heartedly disagree with your statement regarding talent.

All those things you just listed are coaching related not talent related.

You cannot blame it all on the coach. At a certain point the players have to play and compete. Papuchis and Bo are a large part of the problem, but the players we have and have had are simply NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

f#*k that noise....NEB got the edge sealed on them time and time again....got blocked hat on a hat to the 2nd level by better preparation in fundamentals and scheme. This coaching staff didn't have a damn plan B when they got hit in the mouth.

So...you're telling me the same Wiscy team that got beat by Northwestern and LSU...has an all conference o line? They sure as hell looked like it against Neb...it wasn't that the Neb dline got completely manhandled everytime against the Wiscy oline, they didn't play smart. Period.

For crying out loud, Western Illinois held Gordon to 38 total rushing yards. The 2014 defense is top to bottom more talented than 2012, yet they got beat worse....WORSE this year. I would also argue Wiscy oline was better in 2012 than this year....the writing is on the wall. It's the coaching...

• Fire 1

Yes, but do you think we have as much talent as Michigan State and Ohio State? We continue to be out matched in games against "above average" teams.

I'm done... it's a cluster F$CK! It's coaches, players, trainers, etc. Everyone!

Tackling fundamentals and proper pursuit angles are absolutely coaching issues. As are continuous mistakes. Turnovers, blown coverages, and run-fit errors are all mistakes players make. When it is several players over a span of many years and many opponents making the same mistakes, it is a coaching mistake. If these coaches responsible for these mistakes are retained, it is an Administration mistake.

Talent isn't the main issue anymore, not close IMO.

If this were true, you would not have seen it become the absolute #1 focus two years ago......including Eichorst going to bat last year for additional $$$ dedicated to it including the private plane arrangement.
Recruiting is very important and I think many people can agree, there's been plenty of talent upgrades in the past few years now. Regardless of talent, the same systemic issues are occuring...hell, NEB hasn't seen a safety like Gerry since OHanlon...the Dline could all easily go pro in a few years...they still got the edge on Neb...time and time again. You cant tell me that Wiscy doesn't match up well across the board, specifically NEBS Dline vs. The Wiscy oline.

Difference between Neb and Wiscy/MSU: better coaching in the facets of preparation, in game adjustments, fundamentals, and putting your players in situations where they can succeed and thrive.

Our DL very much got outplayed yesterday......though they've had a fairly solid season overall. How many times this season have you heard a LB finally had a good game? Santos had his one career INT.....Roach had an 18 tackle game......we keep hoping Z Anderson will step up.....but none of them have consistently......which was a concern coming out of spring ball.

No I think our talent level is right there with everyone this year. I also havent been overly impressed by any team this year. Too bad we couldnt utilize it when the top was ripe for the picking.

I hate Wisconsin.

Talent is right there with everyone this year? We were blown out of the water by MSU for almost 4 quarters, Wisconsin smoked us, and we barely sneaked out a win against a FCS school. The talent is NOT there. Did you see the tackling yesterday? Did you see the pursuit angles yesterday? Nebraska has a few good players (Abdullah and Gregory) and the rest are pretty average.

Disagree all you want. We have talent out the wazuu. What we lack is confidence, attitude and coaching.

And what talent is that? Please show me talent on defense outside of Gregory? Tommie Armstrong capable of winning a National Championship?

You are seriously delusional if you think this team has the TALENT to win prime time games. Did you watch the game yesterday? Did you watch the MSU game? We do not have the talent to compete at that level and haven't for sometime.

Get out of the 90's. This is reality. We are AVERAGE!

God I love it when people say get out of the 90's. What part of what I said make that statement relevant.

Valentine, Mitchell, Banderas (once in a while), Gregory, Gerry, Anderson. Yeah, we have talent. Just have no fundamentals instilled. Thats on attitude and coaching.

The Huskers may be lacking a little talent here and there. But our across-the-board problem is coaching. We have planty of players talented enough to win all the games we play, but we lack the coaches. God, just look at the two teams we lost to: Wisconsin and Michigan State. We consistently have better recruiting classes than they do. If the argument then is that they still get better players, well then, again, that's coaching (player evaluation).

Disparaging the players talent is an attempt to absolve the coaches. When will the excuses end?

I hate Wisconsin.

You cannot blame it all on the coach. At a certain point the players have to play and compete. Papuchis and Bo are a large part of the problem, but the players we have and have had are simply NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

And who recruits those players?

The talent is better than it was 2 years ago, and we still got skull drug yesterday.

We literally had one thing to do on defense, stop or just slow down, one friggin' guy. And couldn't do it. A f'ing FCS team held Melgore to 38 yards on 17 carries.

That's not talent. That's coaching.

• Fire 4

I hate Wisconsin.

Disagree all you want. We have talent out the wazuu. What we lack is confidence, attitude and coaching.

And what talent is that? Please show me talent on defense outside of Gregory? Tommie Armstrong capable of winning a National Championship?

You are seriously delusional if you think this team has the TALENT to win prime time games. Did you watch the game yesterday? Did you watch the MSU game? We do not have the talent to compete at that level and haven't for sometime.

Get out of the 90's. This is reality. We are AVERAGE!

God I love it when people say get out of the 90's. What part of what I said make that statement relevant.

Valentine, Mitchell, Banderas (once in a while), Gregory, Gerry, Anderson. Yeah, we have talent. Just have no fundamentals instilled. Thats on attitude and coaching.

The face that you put Bando in that statement makes me laugh! All cred has been lost. Mitchell is weak. Valentine is okay.

Like I said - it is coaching and the players. It's both! The coaching isn't good enough and the players are not good enough.

Talent isn't the main issue anymore, not close IMO.

If this were true, you would not have seen it become the absolute #1 focus two years ago......including Eichorst going to bat last year for additional $$$ dedicated to it including the private plane arrangement.
Recruiting is very important and I think many people can agree, there's been plenty of talent upgrades in the past few years now. Regardless of talent, the same systemic issues are occuring...hell, NEB hasn't seen a safety like Gerry since OHanlon...the Dline could all easily go pro in a few years...they still got the edge on Neb...time and time again. You cant tell me that Wiscy doesn't match up well across the board, specifically NEBS Dline vs. The Wiscy oline.

Difference between Neb and Wiscy/MSU: better coaching in the facets of preparation, in game adjustments, fundamentals, and putting your players in situations where they can succeed and thrive.

Our DL very much got outplayed yesterday......though they've had a fairly solid season overall. How many times this season have you heard a LB finally had a good game? Santos had his one career INT.....Roach had an 18 tackle game......we keep hoping Z Anderson will step up.....but none of them have consistently......which was a concern coming out of spring ball.
Z. Anderson is by far the best LB Neb has right now....the other one is on the bench injured. The talent masks the real issues at the LB position, which is the coach...Ross Els.

I'm dropping off of this. I agree coaching is a MAJOR problem. However, you guys are fooling yourselves if you think we have the talent to win big games. You are.

And whose job is it to fix that?

We may not have the talent to win a national championship... but we do have the talent to not give up 56 straight points to a 1 dimensional offense that can't throw the f'ing football.

• Fire 3

I hate Wisconsin.

And who recruits those players?

The talent is better than it was 2 years ago, and we still got skull drug yesterday.

We literally had one thing to do on defense, stop or just slow down, one friggin' guy. And couldn't do it. A f'ing FCS team held Melgore to 38 yards on 17 carries.

That's not talent. That's coaching.

Agree with this. I don't think we'll send Pelini packing though, especially since Eichorst worked directly with Pelini on a recruiting plan. I hope the redshirted OLmen will be ready to step in next season, because we need the likes of Foster and Farmer to live up to their billing like yesterday.

How come whenever we go back to discuss Glory Days talent levels no one ever throws in the fact that we leaned heavily on superior talent through modern chemistry? Are we still in denial that steroids (80's) and Creatine (90's) in conjuction with a huge walk-on program allowed us to literally build a football talent pool? Don't believe it? Go look at the before, after, and way after photos of former players.

Lose a guard to injury, no big deal we got 30 guys just as big to choose from to replace him. That's if you can get him to admit he's injured and can't play. Injury consciousness today puts a coach in a position where if he plays someone at less than 100% he's a cruel barbaric SOB. If he looks the other way or the player hides the injury then he's a dumb SOB. Add to that the still mysterious nature of head injuries and it's a miracle players suit up 2 weeks in a row or have contact practices.

In all, we always had an edge back in the glory days. Edges we no longer have or are willing to take. Recruits can get noticed at NDSU just as easily as a Div.I , so why walk on? Coaching? Nothing new coming out of there...Hell, they all attend each other's coaching seminars in the off season so nothing's secret. You can always go the Money Route in recruiting, just make sure to budget an equal amount to pay off the NCAA and be willing to take a year or two of "punishment".

So unless the Biology/Sports Medicine Dept. at UNL cooks up the new greatest thing I just don't see anything changing along the lines of talent.

• Fire 2