True Talent Level ?

Comish

I'm dropping off of this. I agree coaching is a MAJOR problem. However, you guys are fooling yourselves if you think we have the talent to win big games. You are.

And whose job is it to fix that?

We may not have the talent to win a national championship... but we do have the talent to not give up 56 straight points to a 1 dimensional offense that can't throw the f'ing football.

This. This right here is indicative of the stubbornness of Bo Pelini. They couldn't throw the ball. Couldn't all season. What do we do when we are getting pounded running the ball? We bring in an extra DB and take out a LB. We have Cockerell taking on blocks 7 yards off the ball instead of stacking the box and covering up all the blockers early. What is the danger in moving up to the line Bo? We going to give up a long run? LMAO.

What in the absolute f#*k?

edit: stated wrong player

• Fire 1

How can we still be blaming player or their level of talent at this point?

Some of you so called experts have done nothing but brag up the higher level of recruiting done by Bo and his staff lately, but then we get our ass stomped and all of a sudden its a talent issue again? No.

In 2012, and the record setting loss to these guys, it may have been a talent/depth issue, or lack thereof, but not anymore. At this point, depth should not be an issue. These coaches have had plenty of time to prepare more players. Why isn't there any rotation?

We just allowed the most rushing yards ever by a single player. Ladanian Tomlinson set the record in 99 against UTEP. Melvin Gordon set the record, 408 yards, against a Nebraska Blackshirt defense. A defense with Randy Gregory, Vincent Valentine, Maliek Collins, and Greg McMullen up front. Zaire Anderson, Banderas, Roach and Santos at LB'er, not just push overs there either. Mitchell and Davie comined with Gerry and Cooper have been a touted secondary all season long. Now they just all of a sudden aren't talented? Gimme a break.

This was the first time I've seen the kids flat out quit since that Michigan loss in Ann Arbor a few years back. The tackling was pathetic. You could put that on the players, but at this point can you blame them completely? I'd feel pretty defeated too when we line up the same way with the same guys down after down and keep throwing the same ineffective crap at the wall. The same stuff that has failed against the run for Bo's entire tenure.

The angles are bad. The tackling is bad. This gap fit crap where we crash down directly into oncoming blockers in some way to force the play to the next guy is just not working. The next guy is out of place, or already blocked too often. It puts a ton of pressure on an individual and if one guy makes a mistake, BAM, its a big play all day.

You could blame the players for this sure. They aren't executing the scheme. All the talent in the world wouldn't solve the issue in this scheme if the guys aren't executing it. This scheme calls for near perfection from all involved. Year seven, here we are. Another record set on a defense that can't execute against higher level competition. At some point this becomes a systematic problem.

• Fire 3

We just allowed the most rushing yards ever by a single player. Ladanian Tomlinson set the record in 99 against UTEP. Melvin Gordon set the record, 408 yards, against a Nebraska Blackshirt defense. A defense with Randy Gregory, Vincent Valentine, Maliek Collins, and Greg McMullen up front. Zaire Anderson, Banderas, Roach and Santos at LB'er, not just push overs there either. Mitchell and Davie comined with Gerry and Cooper have been a touted secondary all season long. Now they just all of a sudden aren't talented? Gimme a break.

Our DL got owned yesterday. Our LBs didn't just "all of a sudden" become not talented......they weren't there to begin with......as Pelini alluded to after spring ball.

Our DL got owned yesterday. Our LBs didn't just "all of a sudden" become not talented......they weren't there to begin with......as Pelini alluded to after spring ball.

Way to gloss over the rest of that excellent post to waste your time with that addition. Dynamite drop in Monty.

On one touchdown, pelini was angry an chewing out davie afterward. He supposedly had the outside contain. The WR davie was on ran a slant that was actually a block on the safety that was coming up in run support. Idk how you can expect a corner to read run fast enough on that to come back and make a play on a decent running back let alone someone like Gordon. Not to mention what was the safety reading to fill the more inside gap?b. Obviously the Wisconsin coaches had figured out what the safety was reading and how to exploit the safety/ corner responsibilities. We had a good plan that had wiscy coaches stymied for a bit and then they found a hole in what we were doing and were unable to react

• Fire 2

How can we still be blaming player or their level of talent at this point?

Some of you so called experts have done nothing but brag up the higher level of recruiting done by Bo and his staff lately, but then we get our ass stomped and all of a sudden its a talent issue again? No.

In 2012, and the record setting loss to these guys, it may have been a talent/depth issue, or lack thereof, but not anymore. At this point, depth should not be an issue. These coaches have had plenty of time to prepare more players. Why isn't there any rotation?

This was the first time I've seen the kids flat out quit since that Michigan loss in Ann Arbor a few years back. The tackling was pathetic. You could put that on the players, but at this point can you blame them completely? I'd feel pretty defeated too when we line up the same way with the same guys down after down and keep throwing the same ineffective crap at the wall. The same stuff that has failed against the run for Bo's entire tenure.

The angles are bad. The tackling is bad. This gap fit crap where we crash down directly into oncoming blockers in some way to force the play to the next guy is just not working. The next guy is out of place, or already blocked too often. It puts a ton of pressure on an individual and if one guy makes a mistake, BAM, its a big play all day.

You could blame the players for this sure. They aren't executing the scheme. All the talent in the world wouldn't solve the issue in this scheme if the guys aren't executing it. This scheme calls for near perfection from all involved. Year seven, here we are. Another record set on a defense that can't execute against higher level competition. At some point this becomes a systematic problem.

BOOM!

Every fan base thinks their teams talent is better than it actually is that's why people on this board where calling for burkhead to be a first round pick. In my opinion there are several areas on this team that lack talent. First offensive line no one on the two deep is any good zero all conference guys. Linebacker is terrible lack of guys that cab play sideline to sideline and there were times last night were they were also two guys filling the same gap leaving holes that a truck could have gone through. Quarter back is atrocious TA is the worst starting qb at Nebraska I've seen in my life time. Even talented guys like Gerry were making bone head plays yesterday. This team is a middle of the road big ten team talent wise elite teams don't have that many weak spots. Damn this posy is long

I think our overall talent was exaggerated a bit. We have some bright spots (Gerry, Anderson, Collins, Gregory, Abdullah, Westerkamp, Foltz), but the talent level as a whole is mediocre. Our LBs, OL, and QBs are particularly bad.

I do think a lot of that is because our athletes are being handicapped by the scheme. I am jealous of teams that seem to consistently be able to plug players in their system and go. Our players come in hot and then seem to stagnate or regress as time goes on. I get the sense that if a decent coach came in who emphasized fundamentals and ran basic schemes, we'd suddenly see playmakers all over the field.

In my opinion there are several areas on this team that lack talent. First offensive line no one on the two deep is any good zero all conference guys. Linebacker is terrible lack of guys that cab play sideline to sideline and there were times last night were they were also two guys filling the same gap leaving holes that a truck could have gone through. Quarter back is atrocious TA is the worst starting qb at Nebraska I've seen in my life time. Even talented guys like Gerry were making bone head plays yesterday. This team is a middle of the road big ten team talent wise elite teams don't have that many weak spots.

Yup

Every fan base thinks their teams talent is better than it actually is that's why people on this board where calling for burkhead to be a first round pick. In my opinion there are several areas on this team that lack talent. First offensive line no one on the two deep is any good zero all conference guys. Linebacker is terrible lack of guys that cab play sideline to sideline and there were times last night were they were also two guys filling the same gap leaving holes that a truck could have gone through. Quarter back is atrocious TA is the worst starting qb at Nebraska I've seen in my life time. Even talented guys like Gerry were making bone head plays yesterday. This team is a middle of the road big ten team talent wise elite teams don't have that many weak spots. Damn this posy is long

In your assessment, it sounds more like it is a coaching issue than a talent issue. The statements, "two guys filling the same gap", "talented guys like Gerry were making bone head plays," sound more like a coaching issue. We've seen this defense play at a high level....many times this season actually against fair/not so good competition most of the time though. The coaches didn't have this team prepared when they got hit in the mouth. No plan B. It's on the coaches.....

I think we have decent talent but coaching is just flat out bad.

I have said this before and got ripped by someone on this board that follows recruiting much more closely than I do, but...when we are only a handful of schools looking at a guy, and he's being recruited by Indiana, Bowling Green, Akron, Ohio, and Purdue....we aren't going to be gathering much "elite" talent. Unless we develop it into elite talent.

I think of the Oregon coaching staff in this regard. They don't recruit stellar 5 star kids, they develop 3 stars into them. Just look at Mariota.

The 3 best assistants on this team IMO are Warren, Brown and Kaz....

Everyone else needs to be evaluated and most likely canned. I hate to say that about Garrison because he made a make shift, beat up o-line work last year....

But this year has been quite lackluster. Your starting captain on the line has regressed badly from last year. Cotton was a decent force last year...now, he doesn't even belong on the starting o-line, period.

• Fire 1