The offense

After watching yesterdays game I noticed almost every(?) snap with TA we lined up in either the shotgun or pistol formation. When Fyfe was in for his one or two drives we ran the I formation or with a single back. Why do we not call these kinds of play with TA, Abdullah, and Cross? Why do we always have 5 linemen to block when we are in the shotgun? Why not throw a TE in to help block since Abdullah wasnt able to block. Maybe with an extra TE blocking Abdullah could be a check down and he could get into open space. That is where he is best, for example...he was checkdowns in the miracle NW game last year and the game winning reception against Mcneese St. Why do we not play to our player strengths?

It seems to me Beck is calling similar plays that were designed for Martinez. He didnt really change anything on offense this year. I will give him credit were it is due in some areas but he is hurting this team. It seems he is almost to afraid to run the I formation. Even against Purdue we were on the goaline and lined up pistol which led to TA's fumble and Abdullahs injury. We are supposed to have big huge linemen (except the center, Pelini) and I am not sure why we dont use them to run with, especially on the goal line.

Even before halftime yesterday we gave up on offense, Beck calling passing plays like we were down 100-0. We saw against Miami how good our run game could be. Our defense was still allowing points but our run offense kept Miami off the field which led to fewer points by them. We need to control the game clock and not have a 3-n-out drive with 2 or 3 passes. Pounding away with Abullah and Cross will lead to wins and I am not sure why we do not utilize them in more of a run offense. They are perfect counters for each other. Abudullah hit the outside and Cross smash it up the middle. Our offense just needs to be simple but for now it is to complicated even though the coaches made it "easier" this year. We need an identity and I do not think Becks 50/50 playbook is good for Nebraska. It might be good for Kansas or some other passing school. Granted Abdullah, Bell, Martinez, and others broke offensive records under his playbook, the overall concept doesn't mesh well with Nebraska football. I am not saying he needs to be fired or Pelini but it could help. Hopefully they can figure it out before it costs them their jobs.

I don't care for Beck. I will try to make my post short. Beck stated at the beginning of the year that the TE and FB are becoming obsolete in college football (or something to that effect). He ( in his mind) is a genius and the rest of the football world are idiots. he calls what he WANTS us to do, not what we CAN do. He has no idea how to establish a power run game as he was the passing coordinator at KU when they had Todd Reesing who could actually pass. Beck wants a passing QB. That's all he knows. He has no counter to teams that stack the box. He could watch an hour or 2 on Sat and see quickly. Bring in a 2 back set so that can key on AA. Misdirection, end around with DPE, reverse, PA, TE scrape and cross the middle diamond formation etc....He is stubborn to a fault and refuses to acknowledge what needs to be done. He continues to call plays that are not in our wheelhouse i.e. multi routes with a QB who can't progress, Cross on stretch plays, TA throwing the quick screens in the flats etc......

When Beck wets himself (at least 2-3 games/year) he goes all air raid and expects our QB's to throw from the pocket with a crappy OL. IF we had Ganz, this O could be lethal. We don't. Beck wants that, so he calls it. Same when asked about the MSU game. He figured the "guys would eventually get it". WTH. He needs to be gone. The "hurry" up O when our D has been chasing Gordon up and down the field for over 400 yards......Yea great call.

Hope that helps.

...Beck stated at the beginning of the year that the TE and FB are becoming obsolete in college football (or something to that effect)....

Did he really say this? I've seen it mentioned a couple times but always thought it was a joke because we don't use our TE and FB. That's inexcusable.
Yes, he stated something to that effect

...Beck stated at the beginning of the year that the TE and FB are becoming obsolete in college football (or something to that effect)....

Did he really say this? I've seen it mentioned a couple times but always thought it was a joke because we don't use our TE and FB. That's inexcusable.
Yes, he stated something to that effect

I heard him say that about the FB, but not the TE.

CN: Would you say tight ends and fullbacks are becoming obsolete in college football?

TB: Absolutely. The game's become more athletic. It's almost basketball on grass. I think when you- back in the day- if when you think of it, all the way around: concussions. There are fewer practices. The NFL only has so many days in full pads. It's almost like, "No hitting with the head, no this, no that", no late hit, throw the guy out, protecting the players.

All these things that are developing, don't get me wrong, they're good things, but it shows the game is making a change to becoming less physical. They're trying to get it to be less physical by the rules and the regulations, again, for safety because guys are bigger, stronger, faster.

So it's turned in to more basketball on grass, and as schematics, if you have four legitimate wide receivers lined up, you have to cover ‘em, so you wanna have no help? Play what we call Cover Zero and there's nobody helping?

You have seven guys in the box and four guys covering four guys. You have one guy helping? You have six guys in the box and play man to man with one guy helping or if you have two guys helping you have five guys in the box.

That's it. There's nothing else they can do. So it actually cleans up the picture, and it cleans up what the defense, how they can line up, when that happens, so the more guys you have in there (in the box), the more they can put in there, and the more they can move those guys around. The more you spread ‘em out, the more they have to spread out to cover them, and the less they can move those guys around and some of those guys can't cover that guy. You know what I mean? That's why they game is turning into that more.

Rest of article here;

CN: Would you say tight ends and fullbacks are becoming obsolete in college football?

TB: Absolutely. The game's become more athletic. It's almost basketball on grass. I think when you- back in the day- if when you think of it, all the way around: concussions. There are fewer practices. The NFL only has so many days in full pads. It's almost like, "No hitting with the head, no this, no that", no late hit, throw the guy out, protecting the players.

All these things that are developing, don't get me wrong, they're good things, but it shows the game is making a change to becoming less physical. They're trying to get it to be less physical by the rules and the regulations, again, for safety because guys are bigger, stronger, faster.

So it's turned in to more basketball on grass, and as schematics, if you have four legitimate wide receivers lined up, you have to cover ‘em, so you wanna have no help? Play what we call Cover Zero and there's nobody helping?

You have seven guys in the box and four guys covering four guys. You have one guy helping? You have six guys in the box and play man to man with one guy helping or if you have two guys helping you have five guys in the box.

That's it. There's nothing else they can do. So it actually cleans up the picture, and it cleans up what the defense, how they can line up, when that happens, so the more guys you have in there (in the box), the more they can put in there, and the more they can move those guys around. The more you spread ‘em out, the more they have to spread out to cover them, and the less they can move those guys around and some of those guys can't cover that guy. You know what I mean? That's why they game is turning into that more.

Rest of article here;

Jesus Christ my head hurts.............

So it's turned in to more basketball on grass, and as schematics, if you have four legitimate wide receivers lined up, you have to cover em, so you wanna have no help? Play what we call Cover Zero and there's nobody helping?

That's it. There's nothing else they can do. So it actually cleans up the picture, and it cleans up what the defense, how they can line up, when that happens, so the more guys you have in there (in the box), the more they can put in there, and the more they can move those guys around. The more you spread em out, the more they have to spread out to cover them, and the less they can move those guys around and some of those guys can't cover that guy. You know what I mean? That's why they game is turning into that more.

Rest of article here;

http://www.cornnation.com/2014/6/29/5844500/nebraska-football-offensive-coordinator-tim-beck-interview

Jesus Christ my head hurts.............

In theory, what he is saying is that more WRs means fewer guys in the box. 8n theory, this is correct... but it has been changing ever since MSU and Seattle have started running a reactionary 'quarters' coverage that allow for as many as 7 people in pass coverage, or as many as 8 or 9 in the box, without having to change formation or audible.

Also, yes, the game is becoming more athletic, but that just means that athletic TEs can block like an OT and run like a WR. A good FB is basically a bigger RB who can block and catch passes. In this more athletic trend, it's possible to recruit a FB capable of running a 4.6 or 4.5 or better 40 yard dash. The qualities of those two positions are changing, but I feel it's just changing them in ways that make them MORE useful, if you can just get creative about it.

Bring in a 2 back set so that can key on AA. Misdirection, end around with DPE, reverse, PA, TE scrape and cross the middle diamond formation etc....He is stubborn to a fault and refuses to acknowledge what needs to be done.

So you are one of those guys who think Ameer Abdullah is better in the running game than Tommie Armstrong is in the passing game?...

...me too.

Unfortunately, in Tim Beck's alternate universe, rushing TDs only count for half a point, not six. So he's got to play the numbers.

So it's turned in to more basketball on grass, and as schematics, if you have four legitimate wide receivers lined up, you have to cover em, so you wanna have no help? Play what we call Cover Zero and there's nobody helping?

That's it. There's nothing else they can do. So it actually cleans up the picture, and it cleans up what the defense, how they can line up, when that happens, so the more guys you have in there (in the box), the more they can put in there, and the more they can move those guys around. The more you spread em out, the more they have to spread out to cover them, and the less they can move those guys around and some of those guys can't cover that guy. You know what I mean? That's why they game is turning into that more.

Rest of article here;

http://www.cornnation.com/2014/6/29/5844500/nebraska-football-offensive-coordinator-tim-beck-interview

Smh, I forgot he said that. Thats the thinking why we're such a mentally weak team. He's soft and it shows whenever a team tests us or tries to rough us up.