Lack of Team Leaders...Just Spitballin' Here

Bowfin

Maybe the reason we seem to lack leadership on the field is that Pelini & staff weed out those kids with leadership qualities early in the process.

Josh Mitchell is an exception that proves the point. He made it on to the field and tends to fight back when punched in the mouth, but he was hanging by a thread in Pelini's system.

Lavonte David was a leader, but that could have come from Junior college.

Tyler Moore and Ryan Klachko left for some reason, I don't know if their departures were a good or bad thing.

What I DO know is that I find it very, VERY puzzling that 22 players can fall apart simultaneously in half a dozen big games, just by chance. It is like they were picked because they exhibited that trait...or more likely, that trait goes along with whatever other ones that let players survive and advance in Pelini's world.

Last thing: Does anyone believe Jason Peters could have co-existed with Pelini? How about Tommie Frazier?

Ameer is a team leader. But the players are the employees, Bo is the CEO. The employees give us the final product but the CEO decides the direction of the company.

If the CEO hamstrings the company there's nothing the employees can do, no amount of widgets they can produce, that will overcome that.

• Fire 2

We need to be careful.

I don't think that anybody on this team - coaches nor players - want to be in this particular situation at all.

You could have all seniors on that field on Saturday all day. At this point, the problem isn't desire, or lack of (at least, starting off in that game it wasn't).

At this point, it's leadership (at the team's highest level), along with philosophy.

Does the current offensive/defensive philosophy give this team the best chance to win?

408 yards later...I'd say no.

What I DO know is that I find it very, VERY puzzling that 22 players can fall apart simultaneously in half a dozen big games, just by chance.

Many people throughout sports will say that a team takes on their personality of their coach.

This seems to be the case with us. Bo lost his cool on Saturday. And so did his players.

Up to this point in the season, and until about 20 minutes into the Vadger game, Bo has been calm and mostly under control on the sidelines. But on Saturday Bo completely lost his cool. He spent the last three quarters of the game screaming at players as they came off the field whenever they had blown an assignment. And there were *plenty* of blown assignments. I don't think Bo's tirades helped his players out as much as it unhinged the guy who just got ripped a new a-hole. And everyone else within earshot. It would be more productive if Bo would spend about five seconds chewing the guy out--just to get his attention. And then explain how he f'd up and what the guy needs to key on next time he's out there.

Ameer is a team leader. But the players are the employees, Bo is the CEO. The employees give us the final product but the CEO decides the direction of the company.

If the CEO hamstrings the company there's nothing the employees can do, no amount of widgets they can produce, that will overcome that.

+1

Damon Benning said yesterday on his morning radio show "you have to model what you preach."

If you are the head coach and are asking your players to stay focused, composed, but yet you are blowing up in players' faces or in the faces of the refs, then you are not modeling what you preach to the players, and eventually they will tune you out, and your antics just become white-noise.

+1

Damon Benning said yesterday on his morning radio show "you have to model what you preach."

If you are the head coach and are asking your players to stay focused, composed, but yet you are blowing up in players' faces or in the faces of the refs, then you are not modeling what you preach to the players, and eventually they will tune you out, and your antics just become white-noise.

++1

I said this in a previous post a couple days ago as well. That also holds true to your assistant coaches as well, especially.

Employees respond better to a boss who walks the same line that he or she tows.

+1

And this is exactly what's happening.

Whens the last time you saw Bo yelling at another coach or player, and they just took it with a rolling eyes "Bo bein Bo" look on their face. No reaction at all. It's reached that point.

+1

And this is exactly what's happening.

Whens the last time you saw Bo yelling at another coach or player, and they just took it with a rolling eyes "Bo bein Bo" look on their face. No reaction at all. It's reached that point.

I'm curious how much the players are tuning him out vs. how much they're scared to take on a leadership role with that guy stalking around on the sidelines. Who wants to stand up to that?