Pre-Season Excitement since 2010

carlfense

it really makes me sad. i am a terribly boring person. husker football is my social life. to not care about one of the few things i enjoy being passionate about? it bums me out.

but i guess i'll just have to pay more attention to my kid? i don't know. maybe get a charcoal smoker and spend my days figuring out the perfect brisket. start homebrewing? i guess i will find something else. maybe even running? i guess it is time for a new me.

Let's be friends. I got a smoker in January and yesterday I sent my wife a link to a homebrewing kit as a Christmas idea.

Can I come?

it really makes me sad. i am a terribly boring person. husker football is my social life. to not care about one of the few things i enjoy being passionate about? it bums me out.

but i guess i'll just have to pay more attention to my kid? i don't know. maybe get a charcoal smoker and spend my days figuring out the perfect brisket. start homebrewing? i guess i will find something else. maybe even running? i guess it is time for a new me.

Let's be friends. I got a smoker in January and yesterday I sent my wife a link to a homebrewing kit as a Christmas idea.

Can I come?

Sure! As long as you leave your relentless negativity out west. :P

i consider you my best friend. you introduced me to the love of my life, after all. claymore scotch ale. trying oskar's take probably tonight.

i got an electric smoker like 4 years ago. do not use it as much as i would like, but i am smoking some ribs this weekend.

i think a charcoal one would be fun to mess around with, but much more labor intensive.

what kind of smoker you got?

Can I come?

Sure! As long as you leave your relentless negativity out west. :P

But I named my kegerator "relentless negativity" in that I am relentlessly putting negative pressure on the tap.

• Fire 1

i consider you my best friend. you introduced me to the love of my life, after all. claymore scotch ale. trying oskar's take probably tonight.

i got an electric smoker like 4 years ago. do not use it as much as i would like, but i am smoking some ribs this weekend.

i think a charcoal one would be fun to mess around with, but much more labor intensive.

what kind of smoker you got?

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/72483-smoking-not-nuances-lame-cigar-thread-lame/

Side convo ^^^

Was there ever this much apathy felt in looking towards the next season under same coach under Callahan? It's a serious question. I think each under Callahan, looking forward to the next season was met with intriging mixes of curiosity, excitement, what-ifs and the such. Now it's jsut the merry go round of whatevs.

I understand the angst built up by some the last offseason. and I argued against pretty much all it. Thought at the time I had valid points. Those points obviously were not that valid at all, in a revisionist way of course. But at this point, I agree. I dont see how there could be any excitement whatosever for football if things are kept status quo and things like basketball put up a great season and god forbid win an NCAA tourney game. And i'm not sure there could be anything done the rest of this season aside from winning out, flukishly backing our way into the CCG and winning that too, to change that. And like if said before, it that does for some reason happen, it's because there were some drastic and glaring changes made immediately. And I'm pretty sure those necessary changes are not possible in such a short period of time. The problems ARE systemic. They ARE cultural at this point. And really the only logical fix is probably the reset button.

Just my though

I dropped off the callahan ship early in the first season. Started following Frank Solich and Ohio football. Not because the of the wins/losses but because there was no embrace in who we are as a fanbase. The coach made me feel alienated...didn't want to be a part of Nebraska tradition it was just a job. I feel like that with Bo again. Wins/losses be damned I don't feel like the guy wants to represent us, he's doing his job.

Now if you win it covers some of that but you know what's been fun about being a chiefs and royals fan the last couple of years? The comradery (seriously F this word...good god what a nightmare to spell....had to google it over and over and this site still says it's wrong) was special. I mean the chiefs have made the playoffs plenty of times in my lifetime (royals I was a wee lad) but it didn't have that connection with the fans feel (think Todd Haley playoff year). Bo felt fun early on (Nebraska's back and we're here to stay...I point the thumb...these fans were loud and electric). I feel like he despises us. Whether that's really the case or not isn't the issue because it's not just me.

Then you got players getting after us and where is Bo to step in and stop this nonsense?

Was there ever this much apathy felt in looking towards the next season under same coach under Callahan? It's a serious question. I think each under Callahan, looking forward to the next season was met with intriging mixes of curiosity, excitement, what-ifs and the such.

Good point. Even in Callahan's last season in 2007, Nebraska started out ranked #20 and was ranked #14 when they kicked the ball off to #1 USC.

When the wheels fell off over the rest of the season -- a jaw dropping display of Joe Ganz passing stats and defensive futility at the same time -- it was still new and perverse.

The purging of Callahan and Pedersen, the return of Tom Osborne, the search for a new coach and the start of a new regime certainly kept my attention.

The prospect of Bo Pelini's 8th season at the helm just feels lifeless. It would indeed be the most apathetic pre-season I've felt in 50 years as a Husker fan.

• Fire 2

I have not posted on this board since before the game on Saturday. Honestly, I lost interest in Husker football around halftime of that game. I honestly, cut deer hunting short that day (opening day) with my son so I could come home and watch that abortion of a game. I finally just told my son we are going to town and eating supper out. Unfortunately, the restaurant had the game on and honestly, I was pissed that it was on.

I am OK with losing. I am OK with people making mistakes because everyone is human. It is sports and that is what makes it exciting.

Here is why I lost interest and why I'm finally positing this here. I have always been the most optimistic Husker fan there is. I am not one who thinks they constantly always have to find things to bitch about. And...quite frankly, I can't stand being around fans that are like that.

I was very excited before this season because I honestly believe (still do) that we have the talent on this team to compete with anyone. That doesn't mean win. I mean compete. I believed (wrongfully so) that Bo had turned the corner with is attitude and personal coaching ability. I believed he always knew defense and he good players for his system to be successful and I believed this year, we had those players.

Here is where I fell of the band wagon. This team came out on fire Saturday. They were flying to the ball. The offense had points on the board. We were playing crisp and the players were jacked up to make things happen. We were doing it in THEIR house.

What was the problem???? Every game that has ever been played, something happens to the team on the field that just doesn't go right. A player misses a play. A player causes a stupid penalty. The coordinator calls the wrong play for a certain down. Those things happen on every team in every game.

Problem????? When that happened on Saturday night, who was the one that melted down on the side lines? It wasn't the player who messed up. It wasn't the coordinators. It wasn't the water boy. It wasn't a position coach......It was the friggen HEAD coach. He was not a leader. He absolutely lost the ability to lead the team because he mentally melted down.

In any big organization no matter if it's a large company, government or a sports team, the person at the top needs to be the calming presence when it seems like the world is crashing down.

Bo has totally failed at that.

Now, looking at your post and thinking about next year???? I have no idea how I can be excited because I have no reason to believe that Bo can be that leader in that situation NEXT year if we are able to get in a spot to actually win something significant.

We have the players to play with anyone. We need a coach that can be a leader to get them there.

I will guarantee you I will not be watching this Saturday. I'm not going to pass up another great afternoon with my son in the hills to watch what is supposed to be a mature professional melt down mentally when the going gets tough.

It's basketball season.

Had you been on the board earlier...this was my exact problem too. I shut the game off when they tied it at 17 because the writing was on the wall. This game was over because the team was in full on panic mode and there was no damn reason for it! You knew that the flood gates were open and the defense was now going to run around too obsessed with making every perfect read and would be too timid to attack. You knew the offense was going to compound matters by trying to fix it right away by pressing and running the 30 second 3 and out...everything happened just as you would suspect. And there was NO reason for it. Bo freaked...the team freaked...game over. Inexcusable!

My pre-season excitement for this year was at least an 8. We had a good win over Georgia in the bowl with many starters returning. We had a lot of injuries before game 1 and it did not lower my excitement. We had a close call with McNeese and my enthusiasm did not wane. We got beat in East Lansing in a close one where one catch at the end wins the game. I really liked how the team as well as coaching staff did not quit. Pelini kept his composure and was dialed in and had his team dialed in too. It was a sloppy game of missed opportunities but despite that, they never quit. My enthusiasm went to about a 1 after the Wisconsin game. It was one too many blowouts at key moments in a season to take... I was watching the channel 8 news and listened to their sports guy talk about how the defense would be motivated for The Minisoda game. Where the heck was the motivation in the last game? I have to admit the initial scheme was brilliant and Wisconsin could not do anything. Then they adjusted and we didn't have a plan B... Just utterly disappointing...

Was there ever this much apathy felt in looking towards the next season under same coach under Callahan? It's a serious question. I think each under Callahan, looking forward to the next season was met with intriging mixes of curiosity, excitement, what-ifs and the such. Now it's jsut the merry go round of whatevs.

I understand the angst built up by some the last offseason. and I argued against pretty much all it. Thought at the time I had valid points. Those points obviously were not that valid at all, in a revisionist way of course. But at this point, I agree. I dont see how there could be any excitement whatosever for football if things are kept status quo and things like basketball put up a great season and god forbid win an NCAA tourney game. And i'm not sure there could be anything done the rest of this season aside from winning out, flukishly backing our way into the CCG and winning that too, to change that. And like if said before, it that does for some reason happen, it's because there were some drastic and glaring changes made immediately. And I'm pretty sure those necessary changes are not possible in such a short period of time. The problems ARE systemic. They ARE cultural at this point. And really the only logical fix is probably the reset button.

Just my though

I dropped off the callahan ship early in the first season. Started following Frank Solich and Ohio football. Not because the of the wins/losses but because there was no embrace in who we are as a fanbase. The coach made me feel alienated...didn't want to be a part of Nebraska tradition it was just a job. I feel like that with Bo again. Wins/losses be damned I don't feel like the guy wants to represent us, he's doing his job.

Now if you win it covers some of that but you know what's been fun about being a chiefs and royals fan the last couple of years? The comradery (seriously F this word...good god what a nightmare to spell....had to google it over and over and this site still says it's wrong) was special. I mean the chiefs have made the playoffs plenty of times in my lifetime (royals I was a wee lad) but it didn't have that connection with the fans feel (think Todd Haley playoff year). Bo felt fun early on (Nebraska's back and we're here to stay...I point the thumb...these fans were loud and electric). I feel like he despises us. Whether that's really the case or not isn't the issue because it's not just me.

Then you got players getting after us and where is Bo to step in and stop this nonsense?

Im a big Chiefs fan too. We could talk for hours on what such positive changes do.

But the thing that I'm different on is Callahans first year, is that I pretty much remember him trying to embrace and saying the right things and so on. I just think that the complete flip in overall philosophy was such culture shock to the fanbase, and then to see it JUST NOT WORK in that first year and half, well, lets be honest. In that firs year, that's what REALLY rubbed people the wrong way. My dad is a perfect example. He NEVER gave Callahan a chance because he immediately flipped our culture, our identity into somethings irecognizeable, even though it was his personal expertise.

Does that make sense?