Bo is Only the Fifth Coach w/ 9+ Wins Yadda Yadda...

Landlord

5 (BTN Stats Guys say 6 but I can't find the sixth person) FBS Power-Five head coaches have had 9+ wins in their first seven years of coaching. They are as follows:

Less games back then - profootball did not pay as much as it does now. Less interest in being a pro way different landscape in college football 30 years ago. (Economy was a lot better in the USA manf jobs other outlets for kids to make money, different rules, different recruitment rules, partial qualifiers, etc etc etc...)

I know two guys that played College football in the Big Ten in college about 20 and 30 years ago and both state they could not be on even the practice team now days because the game has changed so much from the 80s and 90s...

Only fair comparisson is now against current coaches in similar conf, but again we dont want fair comparisons there are so many straw man arguments on both sides its amazing this board is not more on fire.

Lets be fair to Bo - yes his winning record at Nebraska for todays current landscape is damn impressive, however is it good enough to stay as the HC for NU? Iowa State would love Bo, maybe we should give him to ISU, however can we replace him with someone better, if not what can we do to empower our current HC to win?

I need a snickers I read this board lately so much negativity makes me want to puke.

DPE is absolutely the only reason for the improved punt return numbers.

FAIL!

As I said before, look at how the gunners were handled in 2013 compared to this year. No, really, you need to go watch about ten punt returns from last year and compare them to this year's, because it is astonishingly, night and day different.

By the way, who is responsible for Pierson-El being on campus...not any of Bo's staff, is it?

To add to this - punt returns any running game requires blocks and a team effort. Put DPE out there by himself without a team see how he does.

It was like watching the Iowa circus of failure yesterday - when commentary was sooo hot on Wiseman for his "power jump" over our line.." Ok if you watch the replay if you DVR the games like I do - he "jumped" aka stepped overr a linemen who was on the ground his own team, that he tripped over in the process tackling himself for a first down. If he had cleared his stepping over his own team mate would of been a touch down. Let us not confuse stepping and jumping over the line.

1zbtblv.jpg

11lj4lu.jpg

I like the idea of Bo to ISU.

I'd love to watch him run his beloved scheme without the benefit of the talent bump he gets here.

But, hey, he'd at least be back in the Big 12, where, you know, his scheme worked.

I was talking to my Mom back in Omaha this morning, she did not understand why I thought Bo or at least his staff should go.

I tried to explain to her, Iowa has one star Sheriff no one else really, Wiseman is not a good or great running back I would say he is a C+. I would say Wiseman is about as good as our 3rd stringer if maybe even then. Iowa has and has had a great O/D line.

Nebraska however has several stars, that Bo and his coaching staff seem to love to destroy so they never get a real shot at the NFL. Ferentz however seems to preserve the few he has. Iowa sends a lot of kids to the NFL, granted not a lot of super stars from Iowa but a lot of linemen.

Nebraska is losing a great team this year. This team was and is special. I would name who are my fav but I will not due to the team as a whole being a great unit.

I think next year we have a lot of raw talent again and some stars returning. However that being said the reason Bo or at least his staff needs to go, a crappy coach like Ferentz would of had a Big Ten Champ with these kids. I hate Feretenz I think Iowa should of canned him 6 years ago. However that being said I would say Ferentz taking all things into account including how he treat the kids I would put Ferentz ahead of Bo at this point. I hope Bo continues to change, however Bo failure to send kids to the NFL that have NFL quality says a lot.

Look at this, even if we had Suh for 4 years under Bo he might be in a wheelchair and not in the NFL. He might not have been able to donate millions to the program on his signing day. I still need to chill out, I am angry not sure who to blame yet. On Suh point Bo might have said or his staff to Suh when he had a season ending knee injury (Freshman year) to walk it off, and destroy his knee or keep playing him. I dont know why or how T - Magic ended up as gimp as he did but you had a kid who had the speed to be a reciever in the NFL who is not playing on Sundays now.

AWARD WINNERS
YEAR PLAYER AWARD 2009 Ndamukong Suh Chuck Bednarik Award 2009 Ndamukong Suh Bronko Nagurski Award 2009 Ndamukong Suh Outland Trophy 2009 Ndamukong Suh Vince Lombardi/Rotary Award 2001 Eric Crouch Davey O'Brien Award

I like the idea of Bo to ISU.

I'd love to watch him run his beloved scheme without the benefit of the talent bump he gets here.

But, hey, he'd at least be back in the Big 12, where, you know, his scheme worked.

I was talking to my Mom back in Omaha this morning, she did not understand why I thought Bo or at least his staff should go.

I tried to explain to her, Iowa has one star Sheriff no one else really, Wiseman is not a good or great running back I would say he is a C+. I would say Wiseman is about as good as our 3rd stringer if maybe even then. Iowa has and has had a great O/D line.

Nebraska however has several stars, that Bo and his coaching staff seem to love to destroy so they never get a real shot at the NFL. Ferentz however seems to preserve the few he has. Iowa sends a lot of kids to the NFL, granted not a lot of super stars from Iowa but a lot of linemen.

Nebraska is losing a great team this year. This team was and is special. I would name who are my fav but I will not due to the team as a whole being a great unit.

I think next year we have a lot of raw talent again and some stars returning. However that being said the reason Bo or at least his staff needs to go, a crappy coach like Ferentz would of had a Big Ten Champ with these kids. I hate Feretenz I think Iowa should of canned him 6 years ago. However that being said I would say Ferentz taking all things into account including how he treat the kids I would put Ferentz ahead of Bo at this point. I hope Bo continues to change, however Bo failure to send kids to the NFL that have NFL quality says a lot.

Look at this, even if we had Suh for 4 years under Bo he might be in a wheelchair and not in the NFL. He might not have been able to donate millions to the program on his signing day. I still need to chill out, I am angry not sure who to blame yet. On Suh point Bo might have said or his staff to Suh when he had a season ending knee injury (Freshman year) to walk it off, and destroy his knee or keep playing him. I dont know why or how T - Magic ended up as gimp as he did but you had a kid who had the speed to be a reciever in the NFL who is not playing on Sundays now.

AWARD WINNERS
YEAR PLAYER AWARD 2009 Ndamukong Suh Chuck Bednarik Award 2009 Ndamukong Suh Bronko Nagurski Award 2009 Ndamukong Suh Outland Trophy 2009 Ndamukong Suh Vince Lombardi/Rotary Award 2001 Eric Crouch Davey O'Brien Award

I think our injury prevention and strength/conditioning programs and techniques need a major overhaul. Our lineman look like we plucked em from the prime rib line at Golden Corral and we continue to have problems with many, many injuries, both season-ending and of the shorter variety.

It's hard to point to Suh as a product of Bo because you really haven't seen him put hardly any defensive players into the NFL. You can point to DB's, but honestly he inherited most of those when he got here. He did make it a point to recruit Fonzie in his first signing class, but really Fonzie and Amukamara are the only ones playing right now. I guess Stafford is getting garbage time. Asante/Hagg/Gomes all retired/unsigned. SJB has a bright future, hopefully.

I can't tell whether Bo really made those players better or just lucked out recruiting some really talented guys. I know which way I'm leaning.

It's sad, but I'd take Ferentz over Bo at this point. Kirk is pretty milquetoast, but at least he's won something of substance.

Fun fact: I went to high school with Scherff. He played QB for us until he was a sophomore, TE his JR year, and only started playing OT as a senior. Dude is a beast though. Loves to bust his butt in the weight room. Should be the next great Iowa lineman in the NFL.

5 (BTN Stats Guys say 6 but I can't find the sixth person) FBS Power-Five head coaches have had 9+ wins in their first seven years of coaching. They are as follows:

Less games back then - profootball did not pay as much as it does now. Less interest in being a pro way different landscape in college football 30 years ago. (Economy was a lot better in the USA manf jobs other outlets for kids to make money, different rules, different recruitment rules, partial qualifiers, etc etc etc...)

I know two guys that played College football in the Big Ten in college about 20 and 30 years ago and both state they could not be on even the practice team now days because the game has changed so much from the 80s and 90s...

Only fair comparisson is now against current coaches in similar conf, but again we dont want fair comparisons there are so many straw man arguments on both sides its amazing this board is not more on fire.

Lets be fair to Bo - yes his winning record at Nebraska for todays current landscape is damn impressive, however is it good enough to stay as the HC for NU? Iowa State would love Bo, maybe we should give him to ISU, however can we replace him with someone better, if not what can we do to empower our current HC to win?

I need a snickers I read this board lately so much negativity makes me want to puke.

Since 1998, these are the Power Five coaches who waited at least eight years to win their first conference title.
» Mack Brown, 2005, eighth year at Texas
» Bill Snyder, 2003, 15th year at Kansas State
Conference titles aren’t the only way to measure an elite program, though. Let’s use another tool: top-10 finishes.
Since 1998, how many coaches — Power Five or not — waited at least eight years for their first top-10 finish? None.
In the past 15 years of college football, there is no example of a coach without a conference title or top-10 finish suddenly breaking through in year eight or later.
Not one.

What did the moron DO? If you you call dpe back there a stroke of coaching genius, hell how many couldn't figure that one out.

I guess I'm gave you too much credit when it comes to seeing the improvement if you think just changing out Westerkamp for Pierson-El was the only change that was made...in which case we need to reassign the term "moron" to whomever didn't watch what happened to the gunners on both of Pierson-El's punt returns today. That wouldn't be you, would it?

I don't care what minor adjustment with the gunners the genius made it don't happen without DPE But i guess it is better than the genius's run D. " I haven't forget how to stop the run" adjustment.

I don't care what minor adjustment with the gunners the genius made it don't happen without DPE

Schematically there are some differences, but, I have to agree with you markiemark - it doesn't matter unless you have someone like DPE. There are plenty of good athletes out there that are NOT good punt or kick returners. It takes a feel, guts and good vision.

I think the most fair thing to say is that you can't really have one without the other. Though, I will admit that DPE takes off in some situations where last year we may have called a fair catch. Our mentality, previously, was too just 'catch the damn ball.'

I don't care what minor adjustment with the gunners the genius made it don't happen without DPE

Schematically there are some differences, but, I have to agree with you markiemark - it doesn't matter unless you have someone like DPE. There are plenty of good athletes out there that are NOT good punt or kick returners. It takes a feel, guts and good vision.

I think the most fair thing to say is that you can't really have one without the other. Though, I will admit that DPE takes off in some situations where last year we may have called a fair catch. Our mentality, previously, was too just 'catch the damn ball.'

You guys do remember in the first game this year that DPE was the 3rd guy to return punts right? Right after Kenny Bell bobbled his attempt they put in DPE. That pretty much tells you all you need to know. We had a frickin' superstar in waiting and he wasn't even their first choice to start the season.

• Fire 1

You guys do remember in the first game this year that DPE was the 3rd guy to return punts right? Right after Kenny Bell bobbled his attempt they put in DPE. That pretty much tells you all you need to know. We had a frickin' superstar in waiting and he wasn't even their first choice to start the season.

See also Lavonte David, who might have never seen the field but for Fisher and Compton's injuries.

Just curious but did you research how many of those coaches took over teams that just went 5-7 two years out of four prior to them taking over? Keep in mind Pelini had to completely rebuild his team.

You... seriously.... created an account just to ask this idiotic question?

Completely rebuild is a gross and improper overcharacterization when the roster was completely loaded with NFL talent. Please. You're embarrassing yourself.