Bo is Only the Fifth Coach w/ 9+ Wins Yadda Yadda...

Landlord

I am wondering if any of the other 9 win coaches also have most of the worst defeats their team has ever had. Records in yards allowed, points allowed. Maybe we could measure that statistic as it tells a more complete story.

Bo Pelini coached teams own 7 of the 9 worse defensive records in Cornhusker history. This team's problems are mental and coaching - they aren't in talent, which is a big issue. Papuchis is a figurehead with no real defined role and Tim Beck is a hodpodge offensive coordinator.

Personally, if you're going to get rid of both coordinators, I don't see why you don't just get rid of Bo.

Nebraska will be in tough competition going after a new coach with Michigan and Florida also searching for their next splash hire

Competing against these two for the splash-hire is a lot easier than compared to top program's that were looking for a head coach last year. Granted, that doesn't mean we should absolutely do it. I think if SE is diligent in his process and finds a coach he deems appropriate, pull the trigger. However, don't just fire a coach with no game plan (we'll get another Callahan). I honestly believe SE will act in the best interest of the program, spending the appropriate amount of time and energy to find his guy. I'm hoping this is sooner (i.e. sometime this week) rather than later.

Even further

Out of the 49 coaches that have won over 70% of their games at top 15 schools, guess how many of them never won at least one conference championship or gone to a major bowl (Rose/Orange/Fiesta/Sugar/Cotton)?

Bill Battle at Tennessee, went 59-22 in 7 seasons, was fired.

Jim Donnan at Georgia, was fired after 5 seasons.

Bo Pelini.

3 out of 49.

• Fire 2

The total embarrassment on the field in major games. Does Saben have these type of beat downs at Alabama in the last 8 years, Was Kelly in the same situation, with record setting losses. Some how for the hanger ons you have to get across that it is not about the wins, it is the overall projection of the program. Baby steps forward and giant leaps and bounds backwards is not the answer. Give me a close loss to Michigan State (really) or Wisconsin, showing steps to improving. I would be behind him to. But he is responsible for some of our worst defeats. How can you compare him to other great coaches, it is disrespectful in every way. He is an average coach, with a creampuff schedule, and in honesty until recently the most understanding, accepting fans in the country. Time for it to stop.

Keeping him is insanity.

• Fire 1

Some more research:

I took the top 15 most winningest FBS programs, plus Florida, and Florida State, and looked at their coaches since 1960. I used 70% as the qualifying winning percentage since that is right around where Bo is, and that is what 9-4 represents percentage-wise. This way, you get the effect of who is good enough to win roughly 9 games a season (since that is the stat that people keep defending Pelini with), but you remove the restrictive barriers of the statistic.

I didn't include their head coaching jobs before or after their time at that school, unless their other stops are other schools in the top 20 of all-time wins, and I used 4 seasons as the minimum to be included in the pool, as 4 years is often considered the benchmark for how much time a coach needs to make it "his" team.

Basically, the goal is to get a rough idea of how many coaches at schools with comparable history/success/money as Nebraska have been able to achieve the same standard of play. This isn't scientific, but I think it will be useful.

Michigan - 4 coaches - 3 qualify

Notre Dame - 7 coaches - 4 qualify

Texas - 5 coaches - 3 qualify

Nebraska - 5 coaches - 4 qualify

Ohio State - 4 coaches - 4 qualify

Oklahoma - 4 coaches - 3 qualify

Alabama - 6 coaches - 5 qualify

Tennessee - 4 coaches - 3 qualify

USC - 6 coaches - 3 qualify

Georgia - 4 coaches - 3 qualify

LSU - 6 coaches - 3 qualify

Penn State - 1 coach - 1 qualify

Auburn - 6 coaches - 3 qualify

West Virginia - 8 coaches - 1 qualifies (this seems to be a significant outlier)

Florida - 6 coaches - 4 qualify

Florida State - 3 coaches - 2 qualify

By my count, there have been 79 coaches at big-time power five schools since 1960 that have coached at least 4 years at their school.

Of those 79, 49 have been able to win 70% or more of their games, or 62% of them. If you remove West Virginia as a seemingly outlier, it is 48 out of 71 coaches, or 68%.

So roughly 65% of coaches at major programs in modern history that have coached at their schools for at least 4 years have been able to win just as well as Bo, if not better.

Very interesting data, thank you for looking this up. It further adds to my quandary though as to why this is the ceiling this far under Bo. I still think it is a pretty good run, many of those you lost dropped below 9 wins at some point, just not sure what to make of Bo's future.

Its not all about wins. As TO put it, it is about playing like champions. You do that, the wins take care of themselves. Bo needs let go because he is not well composed on the sideline, his behavior has to be a turn off to a recruit's parents and coaches. He HAS to be a bear to work for. Can you imagine? No wonder assistants are afraid to do what they want. TO did it better. Way better. We need another one like him.

There is no evidence what so ever that his behavior turns off recruits. In fact we consistently hear from recruits and their parents that they like Bo.

There is no evidence what so ever that his assistant coaches are afraid of him.

Very interesting data, thank you for looking this up. It further adds to my quandary though as to why this is the ceiling this far under Bo. I still think it is a pretty good run, many of those you lost dropped below 9 wins at some point, just not sure what to make of Bo's future.

I'm fairly certain that most all of us would be okay trading the occasional 7-5 season for the occasional conference championship in return.

• Fire 3

There is no evidence what so ever that his behavior turns off recruits. In fact we consistently hear from recruits and their parents that they like Bo.

There is no evidence what so ever that his coaching can lead us to a championship.

There is no evidence what so ever that we will ever have less than 4 losses under him.

There is no evidence what so ever that his coaching can lead us to a championship.

There is no evidence what so ever that we will ever have less than 4 losses under him.

I was responding to false claims, not beliefs. He made claims as if they were fact. I believe Bo can get is to the promised land.

But the guy I quoted was outright fabricating things.

You are better than this Landlord.

I was responding to false claims, not beliefs. He made claims as if they were fact. I believe Bo can get is to the promised land.

But the guy I quoted was outright fabricating things.

How many more years of 9-4 or 10-4 would you let him do before making a change? Last season I said I'd give him one more, that is this year and I am done with him. Just curious where you draw the line personally.

Osborne lost nine out of ten to Oklahoma in one stretch and seven straight bowl games. Remember his quip when they handed over the trophy in the 1995 Orange Bowl? Something to the tune of "I've been coming down here all these years and never knew they gave out one of these afterwards."

Margin of loss? That's like "slightly dead" vs. "really, really dead" to me, but your opinion might differ.

Pelini needs a team shrink, a run defense, and an offensive identity. He has been exposed in the run defense department in spectacular fashion, but so was his punt return strategy last year. I scratched my head at why he couldn't see the punt returns last year or the run defense this year, but I can't say that he can't do for his run defense what he did to his punt returns.

this was bo's 7th year with a talented senior class and solid talent on defense. including a heisman candidate at rb and a top 5 nfl draft pick at de. arguably his easiest schedule. and, again, after 7 years with everything in his favor, this was the best he could do. he was out-coached in every game that mattered. his defense was embarrassing (we hired him to fix the defense). this was not a good team. but, people still, somehow, think another oc is the right answer. how many oc's will we need to go through?

when will people understand that bo is the problem. since '10, every year has been arguably worse. we had what appeared to be a little uptick in 2012, but that came crashing back down.

• Fire 1