Bo is Only the Fifth Coach w/ 9+ Wins Yadda Yadda...

Landlord

It is a losing battle to argue against Bo's 7 seasons of #9wins or his winning percentage. The true argument against this staff is A) the inability to win big games and B) the performance of the team during those big game losses.There is no need to make light of Bo's accomplishments, just as no good will come from ignoring the shortcomings.

I believe what LOMS is doing - what a lot of us are doing - is trying to put it all in context.How does this team that won't quit, that has battled back in Iforgethowmany games, also occupy the same jerseys as the guys who got blown out by Wisconsin - THREE TIMES.It's the Jekyll-and-Hyde character of this team, matching that of its Head Coach, that everyone struggles with.
It's pressure. There is nothing on the line after dropping every game that mattered. Pelini's team crap the bed whenever there is something worth playing for, and show guts and grit when there is nothing left to lose.
Not sure what team you have been watching. Did you miss 2009, 2010, or 2012? Heck 2012 is about as clutch as it can get.

5 (BTN Stats Guys say 6 but I can't find the sixth person) FBS Power-Five head coaches have had 9+ wins in their first seven years of coaching. They are as follows:

George Woodruff (Penn State - 1892-1898)

Tom Osborne (Nebraska - 1973-1979)

Barry Switzer (Oklahoma - 1973-1979)

Chris Petersen (Boise State - 2006-2012)

Bo Pelini (Nebraska - 2008-2014)

To disarm the stupid argument of all of your facebook friends, here are the comparisons of each of these head coaches in those 7 years that go deeper than wins.

George Woodruff coached in the 1890's before bowls and polls and conferences and etc., but he is credited with 3 national championships.

Tom Osborne

79% Winning Percentage

16-11 Against Ranked Teams

0 Top-5 Finishes

7 Top-10 Finishes

2 Conference Championships

5 Major Bowls (defined as Cotton, Fiesta, Sugar, Rose, Orange)

2 Major Bowl Wins

0 Undefeated Season

18 Losses

Barry Switzer

90% Winning Percentag

27-5 Against Ranked Teams

6 Top-5 Finishes

7 Top-10 Finishes

2 National Championships

7 Conference Championships

5 Major Bowls (for some reason they didn't play in bowl games his first two seasons, but these would have been major bowls as well)

4 Major Bowl Wins

2 Undefeated Seasons

7 Losses

Chris Petersen

91% Winning Percentage

7-5 Against Ranked Teams

2 Top-5 Finishes

4 Top-10 Finishes

5 Conference Championships

2 Major Bowls

2 Major Bowl Wins

2 Undefeated Seasons

8 Losses

Bo Pelini

71% Winning Percentage

9-17 Against Ranked Teams

0 Top-5 Finishes

0 Top-10 Finishes

0 Conference Championships

0 Major Bowls

0 Major Bowl Wins

0 Undefeated Seasons

27 Losses

That's some good research.

It is a losing battle to argue against Bo's 7 seasons of #9wins or his winning percentage. The true argument against this staff is A) the inability to win big games and B) the performance of the team during those big game losses.There is no need to make light of Bo's accomplishments, just as no good will come from ignoring the shortcomings.

I believe what LOMS is doing - what a lot of us are doing - is trying to put it all in context.How does this team that won't quit, that has battled back in Iforgethowmany games, also occupy the same jerseys as the guys who got blown out by Wisconsin - THREE TIMES.It's the Jekyll-and-Hyde character of this team, matching that of its Head Coach, that everyone struggles with.

I have seen this team quit. In person. Against Wisconsin.

Its not all about wins. As TO put it, it is about playing like champions. You do that, the wins take care of themselves. Bo needs let go because he is not well composed on the sideline, his behavior has to be a turn off to a recruit's parents and coaches. He HAS to be a bear to work for. Can you imagine? No wonder assistants are afraid to do what they want. TO did it better. Way better. We need another one like him.

If advantages are all it takes to win 9 games each year, then tell me why only 5 have done it. Are you truly saying NU has infinitely more resources and/or advantages than anyone else? I am not sure what to think right now, Knapp's post was as close as I can come to explaining my feelings, but trying to mitigate a fact that only 5 out thousands have accomplished is like spitting into the wind. The bigger issue in my mind is how the heck does a Coach who is good enough to accomplish the rarest of feats have such a poor side to his record as well?

They aren't all it takes; obviously Bo Pelini is at least in part responsible and successful for his own accomplishments. For example, an orangutan could not coach this team to 9 wins.

To answer your question as to why only 5 have done it, because it is a needlessly restrictive parameter that works in his favor. Think about it:

First, you rule out any coaches that had to start their careers at lower schools, such as Les Miles, Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Jim Tressel, Mack Brown, Bob Devaney, etc.

Then, you don't give them any room at all for a growing pain season. Bob Stoops and Pete Carrol both had one of those right before winning championships, for example.

After that, you weed out any coaches that haven't coached at least 7 years, such as Chip Kelly and David Shaw, and also coaches that coached long enough to finally hit a bump in the road, like Mark Richt.

You also leave no room for coaches who have took perennial doormats and made them contenders, like Mark Dantonio, Bill Snyder and Gary Patterson.

You also get to use 9 as an arbitrary win number, even though not all 9 win seasons are equal, and some coaches can go 9-4 and be unranked like 2013 Nebraska, and others can finish 9-4 and be #13.

Don't forget if a coach wins 9+ wins in 7 out of 8 seasons, but the one time he didn't was in the middle, then he doesn't count towards that statistic either.

• Fire 1

I can't comprehend a scenario in which a coaching change IS EVEN CONSIDERED after this win and before we see what happens in the Bowl Game.

Additionally, I can't envision Bo being fired if he wins the Bowl game, bringing home a trophy and a tenth win.

So, like a bratty kid in the toy aisle at Wal-Mart, one can scream all one wants, but it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

This isn't to say that any debates on the failings of this coaching staff doesn't have merit, but that's reality.

I can't comprehend a scenario in which a coaching change IS EVEN CONSIDERED after this win and before we see what happens in the Bowl Game.

I can't comprehend a scenario where this ever has a chance of happening.

1.) You take multiple coaches off the board. Coaching moves happen in the month of December. Top targets will move, and potential coaches for us will no longer be there.

2.) Coaching searches take a couple weeks, usually. You would be talking about the middle of January for a coach to be hired, and then form a staff which can take days/weeks as well.

3.) To go along with above, it ruins any chance of having a decent recruiting class. Your commits will look elsewhere because of unfamiliarity with new coaches. The new coaching staff would have to repair these relationships with commits, hope they would stay, plus recruit other players in less than a months time.

Either way, the one thing I can absolutely promise you will not happen is that we wait until after the bowl game. That would just be horrendously bad management and would likely get SE's job security called into question.

Those nine wins per year aren't an accident. You can't accidentally do the 1,000 things it takes to run a program like this well enough to win nine games a year, every year. If it was luck, it would happen more often. It doesn't, it isn't lucky, it's a level of skill Pelini has attained.

Accident and luck weren't the best terms, I had a hard time analogizing and explaining.

I guess saying it's a level of skill is technically true, but that 'level' is about a C+ grade considering all of the advantages at his disposal that are conducive to putting a good football team on the field.

If advantages are all it takes to win 9 games each year, then tell me why only 5 have done it. Are you truly saying NU has infinitely more resources and/or advantages than anyone else? I am not sure what to think right now, Knapp's post was as close as I can come to explaining my feelings, but trying to mitigate a fact that only 5 out thousands have accomplished is like spitting into the wind. The bigger issue in my mind is how the heck does a Coach who is good enough to accomplish the rarest of feats have such a poor side to his record as well?

Not every coach is fortunate enough to play in the Big XII north or B1G West their first seven years. We I guess technically we were in that legends or leader crap too, but you get my point.

They aren't all it takes; obviously Bo Pelini is at least in part responsible and successful for his own accomplishments. For example, an orangutan could not coach this team to 9 wins.

To answer your question as to why only 5 have done it, because it is a needlessly restrictive parameter that works in his favor. Think about it:

First, you rule out any coaches that had to start their careers at lower schools, such as Les Miles, Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Jim Tressel, Mack Brown, Bob Devaney, etc.

Then, you don't give them any room at all for a growing pain season. Bob Stoops and Pete Carrol both had one of those right before winning championships, for example.

After that, you weed out any coaches that haven't coached at least 7 years, such as Chip Kelly and David Shaw, and also coaches that coached long enough to finally hit a bump in the road, like Mark Richt.

You also leave no room for coaches who have took perennial doormats and made them contenders, like Mark Dantonio, Bill Snyder and Gary Patterson.

You also get to use 9 as an arbitrary win number, even though not all 9 win seasons are equal, and some coaches can go 9-4 and be unranked like 2013 Nebraska, and others can finish 9-4 and be #13.

Don't forget if a coach wins 9+ wins in 7 out of 8 seasons, but the one time he didn't was in the middle, then he doesn't count towards that statistic either.

I think that Bo not breaking the ceiling is a clear indictment, but to not allow a single season to drop back as a "growing pain" season is rather phenomenal IMHO. Bo took over a team with 2 losing years in the past four seasons and hasn't allowed the team to slip below 9 wins regardless of the controversy during the season. There has been plenty of controversy during his tenure, which makes this stat all the more impressive.

What I have a hard time wrapping my head around is how is 9-10 wins all he can achieve despite his success? Every year I think he can turn the corner, yet we still win 9-10 games. A lot of programs would kill to be in our shoes, but it is still mind boggling how we haven't gone down or up from the plateau.

Additionally, I can't envision Bo being fired if he wins the Bowl game, bringing home a trophy and a tenth win.

So, like a bratty kid in the toy aisle at Wal-Mart, one can scream all one wants, but it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

This isn't to say that any debates on the failings of this coaching staff doesn't have merit, but that's reality.

The people you are referring to as bratty kids will be the 10000+ that stop the sellout streak next year if there's no head coaching change.

• Fire 4