Bo is Only the Fifth Coach w/ 9+ Wins Yadda Yadda...

Landlord

Not every coach is fortunate enough to play in the Big XII north or B1G West their first seven years. We I guess technically we were in that legends or leader crap too, but you get my point.

You DO know what the disparaging nickname for the Big 8 was when Osborne was coaching?...

..."Big 2, Little 6".

Look, I don't know if Bo has what it takes to be a head coach, but I just don't see anything happening this year...although I have been wrong plenty of times before.

There is also a sense that whoever would be Bo's successor will be an automatic improvement, which I remember hearing ad nauseum when Callahan was hired.

Not every coach is fortunate enough to play in the Big XII north or B1G West their first seven years. We I guess technically we were in that legends or leader crap too, but you get my point.

You DO know what the disparaging nickname for the Big 8 was when Osborne was coaching?...

..."Big 2, Little 6".

Look, I don't know if Bo has what it takes to be a head coach, but I just don't see anything happening this year...although I have been wrong plenty of times before.

There is also a sense that whoever would be Bo's successor will be an automatic improvement, which I remember hearing ad nauseum when Callahan was hired.

Yeah our next hire could be crap, what is your point? He would win as many conference and national titles as Bo

The people you are referring to as bratty kids will be the 10000+ that stop the sellout streak next year if there's no head coaching change

That's a lot of phone calls for you to have made...

I bet ole Mike Jacobsen has already started calling people, it wont take long for this to turn into a legitimate ordeal. Just look at the board after today's win. Do you honestly think fans will have the same level as excitement as they did at the beginning of this year? If they dont we will have some issues with that highly regarded sellout streak. Even if 5% of season ticket holders decide against renewing those season tickets, you're looking at filling roughly 4,500 seats for the sellout streak to continue. I think polo has a good point.

Even if 5% of season ticket holders decide against renewing those season tickets, you're looking at filling roughly 4,500 seats for the sellout streak to continue. I think polo has a good point

So how many season tickets have been turned in since the Minnesota loss...anybody know?

Will the amount of season tickets not renewed this year exceed the amount of people who would snap them up?...anybody know?

How many fans will forgive and forget if Pelini wins a bowl game?...anybody know?

Like I said, 10,000+ phone calls are a lot to make. Same as 4,500 season ticket holder interviews.

..."Big 2, Little 6".

I agree with what you're saying, I know that traditionally the Big 8 was seen as a weak conference, even with Osborne at the helm. All I was getting at was that this arbitrary number of 9 wins is just a milestone for people to hang their hat on and preach that Bo is taking the program in the right direction. It is simple data mining, which anyone on either side of the fence can do. I will say Bo has improved the program in off the field situations is great, I'll give credit where it is deserved. However, that doesn't simple get to off-set our performance on the field.

Bo is a good coach, nothing more nothing less - consistenly providing 9 wins with 4 losses. I'm to the point now that I think we can move on, I'm not content on being third in a division when we should realistically competing against Wisconsin every year. Now could we fall flat on our face if we go in a different direction, yeah - its pretty obvious we could. But I would also hope that if we did, we would recognize it and move on... the way the Oklahoma's and Alabama's of the world do.

Yeah our next hire could be crap, what is your point?

My point is that our next hire could be crap, so don't delude yourself into thinking that getting rid of Pelini will automatically be a straight line to a national championship.

We all agree that something needs to change, but I think that there is just as much chance of success coming from Pelini changing as there is in changing Pelini. Since that is an opinion that probably differs from yours, and only fools argue opinions, I'm not going to argue opinions.

Even if 5% of season ticket holders decide against renewing those season tickets, you're looking at filling roughly 4,500 seats for the sellout streak to continue. I think polo has a good point

So how many season tickets have been turned in since the Minnesota loss...anybody know?

Will the amount of season tickets not renewed this year exceed the amount of people who would snap them up?...anybody know?

How many fans will forgive and forget if Pelini wins a bowl game?...anybody know?

Like I said, 10,000+ phone calls are a lot to make. Same as 4,500 season ticket holder interviews.

The fact the university had tickets remaining in August and was cutting deals, as far as no seat licensing or annual donations required for certain seats, should be a red flag that tickets are not in as high of demand as they once were. I have wondered about the counterparty in this argument though. Are there steadfast Bolievers who would threaten to relinquish their tickets if he was let go? It'll be very intersting to see how it all plays out.

The fact the university had tickets remaining in August and was cutting deals, as far as no seat licensing or annual donations required for certain seats, should be a red flag that tickets are not in as high of demand as they once were. I have wondered about the counterparty in this argument though. Are there steadfast Bolievers who would threaten to relinquish their tickets if he was let go? It'll be very intersting to see how it all plays out.
I would have to go and find the articles, but the student section was the only real issue at the end of the day. They had everything else settled prior to the season by several weeks, the issue was the students not buying.

I'm not content on being third in a division when we should realistically competing against Wisconsin every year.

Neither am I, and yes, we should.

If Pelini wants to stay, he's going to have to tear apart his run defense and start from scratch, same as Osborne had to do at this same stage of his career when Oklahoma and the Florida teams were unbeatable. I was told by my uncle and his friends that Charlie McBride had to have his job threatened to buy into the change.

Pelini will also need to figure out what to do with Beck and his Jekyll and Hyde offense and Barney Cotton.

Some more research:

I took the top 15 most winningest FBS programs, plus Florida, and Florida State, and looked at their coaches since 1960. I used 70% as the qualifying winning percentage since that is right around where Bo is, and that is what 9-4 represents percentage-wise. This way, you get the effect of who is good enough to win roughly 9 games a season (since that is the stat that people keep defending Pelini with), but you remove the restrictive barriers of the statistic.

I didn't include their head coaching jobs before or after their time at that school, unless their other stops are other schools in the top 20 of all-time wins, and I used 4 seasons as the minimum to be included in the pool, as 4 years is often considered the benchmark for how much time a coach needs to make it "his" team.

Basically, the goal is to get a rough idea of how many coaches at schools with comparable history/success/money as Nebraska have been able to achieve the same standard of play. This isn't scientific, but I think it will be useful.

Michigan - 4 coaches - 3 qualify

Notre Dame - 7 coaches - 4 qualify

Texas - 5 coaches - 3 qualify

Nebraska - 5 coaches - 4 qualify

Ohio State - 4 coaches - 4 qualify

Oklahoma - 4 coaches - 3 qualify

Alabama - 6 coaches - 5 qualify

Tennessee - 4 coaches - 3 qualify

USC - 6 coaches - 3 qualify

Georgia - 4 coaches - 3 qualify

LSU - 6 coaches - 3 qualify

Penn State - 1 coach - 1 qualify

Auburn - 6 coaches - 3 qualify

West Virginia - 8 coaches - 1 qualifies (this seems to be a significant outlier)

Florida - 6 coaches - 4 qualify

Florida State - 3 coaches - 2 qualify

By my count, there have been 79 coaches at big-time power five schools since 1960 that have coached at least 4 years at their school.

Of those 79, 49 have been able to win 70% or more of their games, or 62% of them. If you remove West Virginia as a seemingly outlier, it is 48 out of 71 coaches, or 68%.

So roughly 65% of coaches at major programs in modern history that have coached at their schools for at least 4 years have been able to win just as well as Bo, if not better.

I am wondering if any of the other 9 win coaches also have most of the worst defeats their team has ever had. Records in yards allowed, points allowed. Maybe we could measure that statistic as it tells a more complete story.

I'll even do it easier.

Alabama

Oregon

Nebraska.

BCS appearances by the team in order.

• Fire 3