The collateral damage of firing Bo Pelini

knapplc

I'm so going to miss Faux Pelini. I posted earlier this season a rather melancholy thing: The funny thing about the Good Old Times is, you never know when you're in them until they're gone.

Well, now Bo's gone, and with him perhaps Faux Pelini. Faux has been one of the best things to come out of the Pelini Era, and today we face the very real possibility that he's going to hang up his keyboard.

But that's not all. What will Tunnel Walk of Shame do? Those comics have been gold, but with an all-new staff, will he continue? Will the magic still be there?

Bo's going to land on his feet somewhere. The assistant coaches will be fine. The players will get their degrees and move on with life, or to the NFL. But I'm still going to be sitting here at my desk waiting to be entertained.

• Fire 1

Fake Bo Pelini @FauxPelini · 4h 4 hours ago

THIS WAS NOT WHAT I MEANT BY EXECUTION YOU IMBECILES

0 replies 426 retweets 1,012 favorites

AT THE END OF THE DAY THIS PRESS CONFERENCE BLOWS

0 replies 625 retweets 1,958 favorites

Worst part: During super-secret lunch, @FauxPelini told me he'd prob shut it down if not-fake Pelini got canned. Pls reconsider!

0 replies 167 retweets 447 favorites

I HEREBY OFFER TO COACH NEBRASKA IN THE BOWL GAME I CAN DO IT VIA TWITTER HOW HARD CAN IT BE

0 replies 1,782 retweets 4,161 favorites

WELL I FINALLY LOST LESS THAN FOUR GAMES IN A SEASON SO YOU'RE WELCOME

0 replies 937 retweets 2,193 favorites

WHERE IS MY STAPLER

0 replies 1,403 retweets 2,369 favorites

CAN I GO BACK INTO THE STADIUM AND SAY GOODBYE ONE LAST TIME ALSO WHERE IS MY BLOWTORCH

0 replies 2,988 retweets 4,612 favorites

THIS IS VERY CONFUSING I DIDN'T KNOW OUR ATHLETIC DIRECTOR WAS A REAL PERSON

0 replies 1,766 retweets 3,612 favorites

LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT YOU ARE PAYING ME NOT TO LIVE IN LINCOLN NEBRASKA AND I AM SUPPOSED TO BE SAD

0 replies 5,540 retweets 6,105 favorites

THAT'S IT I QUIT

0 replies 4,528 retweets 5,739 favorites

WAIT WHAT

0 replies 6,920 retweets 6,784 favorites

Yeah, fauxpelini and TWOS are/were funny and highly entertaining. But it has been so long since we excelled on the field that we have lost sight of why these things came about. It is because we have been bad and all we could do to deal with it is make fun of it and laugh at it. I'll trade that away for having a respectable on the field product that competes for championships and doesn't totally choke against decent teams. If change results in not giving up 408 yards to one player and the loss of fauxpelini, I can live with that.

• Fire 1

I'm so going to miss Faux Pelini. I posted earlier this season a rather melancholy thing: The funny thing about the Good Old Times is, you never know when you're in them until they're gone.Well, now Bo's gone, and with him perhaps Faux Pelini. Faux has been one of the best things to come out of the Pelini Era, and today we face the very real possibility that he's going to hang up his keyboard.But that's not all. What will Tunnel Walk of Shame do? Those comics have been gold, but with an all-new staff, will he continue? Will the magic still be there?Bo's going to land on his feet somewhere. The assistant coaches will be fine. The players will get their degrees and move on with life, or to the NFL. But I'm still going to be sitting here at my desk waiting to be entertained.

I mean, I get what you're saying, but when the largest collateral damage you can think of is the cessation of two things that at the end of the day mock our status in the college football universe may go away.......man we should have done this years ago.

As for your desk boredom, I post GEMS on my twitter feed. Or maybe Old Hoss Radbourn is your thing.

Ok, snarky inside joke post to knapp aside, let's look at this.

Here's a snip from twos and his monologue before his comic about Minnesota.

Because when its going well, theres a general atmosphere of ridiculous merriment. Everyone acknowledges that their joy is unfounded and probably short-lived, but for a while, after we beat a team like Rutgers, people can at least sit around and go, Hey, maybe theyre not so bad. A few things to get cleaned up but if they can were going to the playoffs. People most definitely said this and even kind of believed it.

Man, we deserve so much better. Eichorst nailed it today. He said everything a lot of people believe. We. Are. NEBRASKA. That statement by Mr Shame should have never been a reality. I know I have my ties that absolutely endear me to what I heard today, and why I was such a penis all year (sorry guys, for real. We're good. Except sd'sker.)

But c'mon man. We were getting sold short. I, sadly feel better about Nebraska's situaish than I have for a great while.

And NorCal got some rain today. Things are looking up.

Here I was expecting to read a knapp novel, dissecting every aspect of the today's events and offering levelheaded analysis on the future of the program.

Well played.

I've been at another family Thanksgiving get-together all day. I'm too tired to write a novel. I'll give it a day or two to gain some perspective and put something together later this week.

Man, we deserve so much better. Eichorst nailed it today. He said everything a lot of people believe. We. Are. NEBRASKA. That statement by Mr Shame should have never been a reality. I know I have my ties that absolutely endear me to what I heard today, and why I was such a penis all year (sorry guys, for real. We're good. Except sd'sker.)

dominic-west.jpg

what the f#*k did i do?

Ok, snarky inside joke post to knapp aside, let's look at this.

Here's a snip from twos and his monologue before his comic about Minnesota.

Because when its going well, theres a general atmosphere of ridiculous merriment. Everyone acknowledges that their joy is unfounded and probably short-lived, but for a while, after we beat a team like Rutgers, people can at least sit around and go, Hey, maybe theyre not so bad. A few things to get cleaned up but if they can were going to the playoffs. People most definitely said this and even kind of believed it.

But c'mon man. We were getting sold short. I, sadly feel better about Nebraska's situaish than I have for a great while.

And NorCal got some rain today. Things are looking up.

Hope springs eternal, is what I took from that. And it's true - and it should. Hope is what makes every college football fan tick until proven otherwise. But the rest of it, yeah, he nailed that, too. And I'm hoping that's not the end of what he writes because he can do that next year and so on. For a while, even with a new staff and new characters.

I don't know why you would say "sadly" you feel better about things. This is a step in a new direction. That shouldn't be sad, aside from the normal human reaction to a man getting fired. That's nothing to be giddy about, but it was a known, necessary step. An inevitable step the way things were going, and likely to go.

I don't think we should feel too sad today - certainly not about the coaching situation. It may be a rocky road ahead, and the next guy may not be the one to get us where we want to be. But we'll never find that guy unless we take the first step, and we just did.

"I think it is the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend, and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope."

- 'Red' (Morgan Freeman)

The Shawshank Redemption

I dropped the sadly because, obviously, I was never a fan of where Bo placed himself within the program. Even when we were all happy, myself included, it was a premise where and was placed first and foremost. And above the the program. Even THE program.

I didn't like that. And I didn't like that I was glad a man getting fired brought me joy. That's a dumb thing when it's all said and done.

I dropped the sadly because, obviously, I was never a fan of where Bo placed himself within the program. Even when we were all happy, myself included, it was a situs is where and was placed first and foremost. And above the the program. Even THE program.

I didn't like that. And I didn't like that I was glad a man getting fired brought me joy. That's a dumb thing when it's all said and done.

Dont see true emotion from you often Polo. Kinda wana bring you in for a bro its kool hug.