Sherman: Don't expect a lengthy search at Nebraska

zoogs

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/104355/dont-expect-a-lengthy-search-at-nebraska

If you disagree with Eichorst because you think Pelini was set to turn Nebraska back into a national contender, fine. But don't argue against change because you're worried it might get worse. Yeah, it might. It might also get better.

Other programs in the Big Ten let a fear of failure dictate decisions. That's never been Nebraska. Bob Devaney, the former legendary coach and AD, embraced challenges.

Nebraska may never win at the rate it did during the 1970s, 80s and 90s. But to perform like a championship program, first you've gotta act like one.

This is a great article that in addition to predicting a quick hire, touches on the perhaps superficial appeal of getting a coach whose qualities contrast sharply with the old coach, and asks if this still would have happened had the Huskers beaten Minnesota.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/104355/dont-expect-a-lengthy-search-at-nebraska

If you disagree with Eichorst because you think Pelini was set to turn Nebraska back into a national contender, fine. But don't argue against change because you're worried it might get worse. Yeah, it might. It might also get better.

Other programs in the Big Ten let a fear of failure dictate decisions. That's never been Nebraska. Bob Devaney, the former legendary coach and AD, embraced challenges.

Nebraska may never win at the rate it did during the 1970s, 80s and 90s. But to perform like a championship program, first you've gotta act like one.

This is a great article that in addition to predicting a quick hire, touches on the perhaps superficial appeal of getting a coach whose qualities contrast sharply with the old coach, and asks if this still would have happened had the Huskers beaten Minnesota.

After the press conference, I really have complete confidence in Eichorst. Very much in charge.

• Fire 1

But don't argue against change because you're worried it might get worse.

This argument is tired. It's fun to talk about these things in the abstract, but we just fired a nine-win coach. This isn't some soap opera with make-believe characters, this is a huge employer with literally thousands of people depending on its continued success. Arguing against change for the sake of change makes perfect sense when you stand to lose millions of dollars in the process. At least, arguing for constraint in the decision-making makes sense.

If Eichorst doesn't have a splash lined up and he's winging this after Sunday morning, then we've just put a lot of things in jeopardy with the hope that it *might* get better. That's not a good gamble, and it could as easily backfire as succeed.

I don't think Eichorst did this, however. I think he's spent the last year getting himself ready for this circumstance and the "process" was all but concluded before he ever dismissed Pelini. I get the impression from Eichorst's presser that he has this firmly under control. THAT is what dictates your decision-making. The forethought and proper planning, the due diligence on candidates and more than handshake assurances that you have your guy, not some vague "it might get better."

Arguing that it might get worse is simple prudence. This is big-time college football. Edifices like Nebraska aren't built on "might."

• Fire 1

This argument is tired. It's fun to talk about these things in the abstract, but we just fired a nine-win coach. This isn't some soap opera with make-believe characters, this is a huge employer with literally thousands of people depending on its continued success. Arguing against change for the sake of change makes perfect sense when you stand to lose millions of dollars in the process. At least, arguing for constraint in the decision-making makes sense.

If Eichorst doesn't have a splash lined up and he's winging this after Sunday morning, then we've just put a lot of things in jeopardy with the hope that it *might* get better. That's not a good gamble, and it could as easily backfire as succeed.

I don't think Eichorst did this, however. I think he's spent the last year getting himself ready for this circumstance and the "process" was all but concluded before he ever dismissed Pelini. I get the impression from Eichorst's presser that he has this firmly under control. THAT is what dictates your decision-making. The forethought and proper planning, the due diligence on candidates and more than handshake assurances that you have your guy, not some vague "it might get better."

Arguing that it might get worse is simple prudence. This is big-time college football. Edifices like Nebraska aren't built on "might."

Do you really think that we couldn't maintain at least the record we had with pelini, especially with our non con sched and being in the west!

I don't think Eichorst did this, however.

I don't think he's winging it either.

But hm, I don't think there's a lot that's been put in jeopardy. 9 win seasons are OK, but they're not substantially better than 7-win seasons, for example. And Bo did his utmost to transform Nebraska into a place where 9 wins would become the celebrated, contented norm. That road we were going down put a lot more in jeopardy and it was a development that had to be stopped -- along with that bunker vs the fans mentality.

I hope we can get the splash (it'd be Tressel, for me. What a perfect match for both sides, IMO) but in the long run, any number of coaches could step in and accomplish the healing this program needs right now. And that's whether or not they produce, or step aside for a yet more future coach to try.

I don't think Eichorst did this, however.

I don't think he's winging it either.

But hm, I don't think there's a lot that's been put in jeopardy. 9 win seasons are OK, but they're not substantially better than 7-win seasons, for example. And Bo did his utmost to transform Nebraska into a place where 9 wins would become the celebrated, contented norm. That road we were going down put a lot more in jeopardy and it was a development that had to be stopped -- along with that bunker vs the fans mentality.

I hope we can get the splash (it'd be Tressel, for me. What a perfect match for both sides, IMO) but in the long run, any number of coaches could step in and accomplish the healing this program needs right now. And that's whether or not they produce, or step aside for a yet more future coach to try.

I agree with the notion that 9 wins is not substantially better than 7. I'd even go further and say it's not really any better at all for this program. Nebraska should have won a conference championship somewhere in the last 15 years. It's mindboggling really...there have been some pretty down years in both conferences we've been in during those years.

If Eichorst doesn't have a splash lined up and he's winging this after Sunday morning, then we've just put a lot of things in jeopardy with the hope that it *might* get better. That's not a good gamble, and it could as easily backfire as succeed.I don't think Eichorst did this, however.

I don't think he's winging it either.But hm, I don't think there's a lot that's been put in jeopardy. 9 win seasons are OK, but they're not substantially better than 7-win seasons, for example. And Bo did his utmost to transform Nebraska into a place where 9 wins would become the celebrated, contented norm. That road we were going down put a lot more in jeopardy and it was a development that had to be stopped -- along with that bunker vs the fans mentality.I hope we can get the splash (it'd be Tressel, for me. What a perfect match for both sides, IMO) but in the long run, any number of coaches could step in and accomplish the healing this program needs right now. And that's whether or not they produce, or step aside for a yet more future coach to try.

Bravo.

After the press conference, I really have complete confidence in Eichorst. Very much in charge.

"Um." -Shawn Eichorst, Athletic Director, The University of Nebraska-- Lincoln.

(but really, though, I agree. :) )

If the only definition of "improvement" is more than 9 wins, then you may be right. But frankly, if the next coach strings seven consecutive 9-3 seasons together, but manages to not alienate the fan base, media, or have too many blowout losses along the way, I will consider it "improvement."

• Fire 1