McElwain: Reason to be Cautious

When it comes to picking a coach, I don't like coaches who are supposedly good coaches, but have only had pedestrian winning records. Take McElwain for instance. He has coached at CSU for three years. He's had one good year, this year. In the previous two years, he had a losing record, 12-14. Yeah, CSU had a good year, but they only have one semi-quality win, a victory over Boston College. The rest of their schedule was pretty-much patsies. I think it's risky diving for a guy who has only had one good season. McElwain is similar to Brady Hoke, who had several losing seasons at Ball State but then took them to 12-1. The point is that a good coach should have a good record over time AND have demonstrated the skills of a good football coach.

Yes, you can argue that Scott Frost can't be trusted. And you would be partially right. Yes, both Frost and McElwain could come here and both do very well. But, the reality is that neither has a long enough body of work to determine whether they will actually be good, or just be another Brady Hoke.

It's easy to get infatuated with a guy because he becomes the flavor of the month. Now that Florida is pursuing McElwain, he is suddenly supposedly a better coach. The guy still has only one winning season.

When it comes to picking a coach, I don't like coaches who are supposedly good coaches, but have only had pedestrian winning records. Take McElwain for instance. He has coached at CSU for three years. He's had one good year, this year. In the previous two years, he had a losing record, 12-14. Yeah, CSU had a good year, but they only have one semi-quality win, a victory over Boston College. The rest of their schedule was pretty-much patsies. I think it's risky diving for a guy who has only had one good season. McElwain is similar to Brady Hoke, who had several losing seasons at Ball State but then took them to 12-1. The point is that a good coach should have a good record over time AND have demonstrated the skills of a good football coach.

Yes, you can argue that Scott Frost can't be trusted. And you would be partially right. Yes, both Frost and McElwain could come here and both do very well. But, the reality is that neither has a long enough body of work to determine whether they will actually be good, or just be another Brady Hoke.

It's easy to get infatuated with a guy because he becomes the flavor of the month. Now that Florida is pursuing McElwain, he is suddenly supposedly a better coach. The guy still has only one winning season.

Disagree. It takes a great coach to take CSU to 10-2.

• Fire 1

First time poster long time lurker. Jim McElwain is the real deal but it doesn't matter as soon as CSU drops the buy out he's Florida's guy. I've went to several CSU games over the past 5 years and what he done to this program out here is amazing. I watched under the previous staff and their inept coaching and just went to games to kill time and watch what other teams offered. Watched the spring game of Jim's first year and it was God awful, GG the qb was bad and i mean TA 1-11 bad missing everyone but the defense. Hollywood the WR was equally as bad dropping 6 or 7 passes from the other qb. Now look at them, GG the qb is the MW player of the year and that kid can throw a ball and Hollywood should win or be top on biletnikoff award. I know they play sup par teams but what he did with what he had this guy was my number 1 hopeful.

• Fire 2

Not true. We all know that Bo could have taken them to 10-2. Their schedule was weak.

Not true. We all know that Bo could have taken them to 10-2. Their schedule was weak.

You can't be serious...