New HC Hiring AAR

He'd have to really screw things up to get pushed out after just three. Consider that Rich Rodriguez did -- and look where he is now. Michigan got rid of him a bit early.

Realistically, I think we hold the referendum on the Riley era after year 4.

Especially given some of the challenges currently facing this program. There's a lot of healing and probably a lot of attrition that needs to and is going to happen over the next couple of years. And the recruiting under Bo, it's been OK, but those cupboards are not particularly well-stocked, either.

If Riley can do things reasonably well, he's going to get a chance to continue to build the program with his own recruits. And here's hoping he does a much better job of it in years 5,6,7 if he gets them, than Bo did.

Bo tried to transform this place into a place with second-tier program level fan expectations, and created an unacceptably venomous atmosphere. Even with all that, he got seven full seasons here without winning a conference title.

at the least he heals the player/fan rift.......one step at a time, weedhopper! cleaning up after Bo will be no small task.

Sorry I guess I just don't think Bo is leaving much of a mess. Plenty of talent in the cupboard. The fanbase is a mess but I don't blame Bo for that, I blame Al Gore for inventing the internet. If anything he is leaving big shoes to fill considering what Riley brings to the table record wise.

9~4 wasn't well received

It wasn't the quantity of wins, it was the quality of wins.

No question. But would this fan base look past a 7-6 season? I think next year he gets a pass, even with a favorable schedule.

But if he doesn't deliver by year 2, things heat up, imo.

I don't think so. I think fans will be willing to give him more time to get his recruits in (goes with any coach)

I thought 8-9 wins are basically a given and it's been the coaching staff holding us back.

9~4 wasn't well received

No question. But would this fan base look past a 7-6 season? I think next year he gets a pass, even with a favorable schedule.But if he doesn't deliver by year 2, things heat up, imo.

I don't think so. I think fans will be willing to give him more time to get his recruits in (goes with any coach)

Ya think? We've been trudging along here with 9~10 wins each year, nothing great but it's not program shattering. Mix in a new coach and a couple of 7~6 years, in a weak division with supposedly better talent than we've had for awhile, i think things might get uncomfortable.

I could be wrong, maybe it won't even be an issue.

9~4 wasn't well received

No question. But would this fan base look past a 7-6 season? I think next year he gets a pass, even with a favorable schedule.

Before Bo got fired, some guys at work and I were looking at the 2015 schedule and thought there was a very good possibility that given the way the team played this year, they would likely go 7-5 next season. So in my opinion, if Riley goes 7-5 next year it would not be a huge deal, and if he goes 8-4 or better it is an improvement! I'm hoping he can do MUCH better than that, which is all up-side! Here was our prediction for Bo next season if he were still coaching:

W - BYU

W - South Alabama

L - @ Miami

W - Southern Miss

W - @ Illinois

L - Wisconsin

L - @ Minnesota

W - Northwestern

W - @ Purdue

L - Michigan St

W - @ Rutgers

L - Iowa

We went back and forth on that Iowa prediction but it seems the road team has the edge in that series, so we gave Iowa the win!

• Fire 1

Bo's firing was about Conference Championships. Demeanor on and off the field was the excuse. If Bo would have won that Championship this year, he'd still be here. And the fans would be god damn giddy about it too.

I really believe Bo's final demise was going down with his assistants. He stuck by them till the end. I would almost bet that he was asked to find a new OC/DC, or he would lose his job. He chose losing his job over getting rid of a friend. His respect for his coaches cost him his job.

Before Bo got fired, some guys at work and I were looking at the 2015 schedule and thought there was a very good possibility that given the way the team played this year, they would likely go 7-5 next season. So in my opinion, if Riley goes 7-5 next year it would not be a huge deal, and if he goes 8-4 or better it is an improvement! I'm hoping he can do MUCH better than that, which is all up-side! Here was our prediction for Bo next season if he were still coaching:

W - BYU

W - South Alabama

L - @ Miami

W - Southern Miss

W - @ Illinois

L - Wisconsin

L - @ Minnesota

W - Northwestern

W - @ Purdue

L - Michigan St

W - @ Rutgers

L - Iowa

We went back and forth on that Iowa prediction but it seems the road team has the edge in that series, so we gave Iowa the win!

Not sure how fewer wins against almost the exact same schedule is an improvement.

W - BYU

W - South Alabama

L - @ Miami

W - Southern Miss

W - @ Illinois

L - Wisconsin

L - @ Minnesota

W - Northwestern

W - @ Purdue

L - Michigan St

W - @ Rutgers

L - Iowa

Not sure how fewer wins against almost the exact same schedule is an improvement.

Mav - That was my prediction on how BO would have done next year if he hadn't been fired.

9~4 wasn't well received

W - BYU

W - South Alabama

L - @ Miami

W - Southern Miss

W - @ Illinois

L - Wisconsin

L - @ Minnesota

W - Northwestern

W - @ Purdue

L - Michigan St

W - @ Rutgers

L - Iowa

7-5 would be unacceptable if Bo would have given another year and it would not be a big deal if Riley did it. It's been two years of talking about lowering expectations and accepting mediocrity so let's not start now.

at the least he heals the player/fan rift.......one step at a time, weedhopper! cleaning up after Bo will be no small task.

Don't go there. Bo didn't make a mess of this program. If you didn't like Bo's personality that's your prerogative, but Bo ran a clean program. The only problem was the disconnect fans felt they had with the team and that isn't a steep hill to overcome. This isn't the Callahan mess. Not even close. Riley's walking into a good thing, an early Christmas present if you will.
Bo created some rifts within the program for damn sure....

Go listen to Jay Foreman or Damnon Benning...they elude to issues with the culture and how toxic it was....

These guys had contact to players and coaches....

9~4 wasn't well received

W - BYU

W - South Alabama

L - @ Miami

W - Southern Miss

W - @ Illinois

L - Wisconsin

L - @ Minnesota

W - Northwestern

W - @ Purdue

L - Michigan St

W - @ Rutgers

L - Iowa

7-5 would be unacceptable if Bo would have given another year and it would not be a big deal if Riley did it. It's been two years of talking about lowering expectations and accepting mediocrity so let's not start now.

I don't think you understand what normally happens with coaching transitions. 7-5 is more acceptable under a new coach than it would have been under Pelini. Of course that doesn't mean people would be content with it. And doing it in the 2nd year would not be acceptable.

Sorry I guess I just don't think Bo is leaving much of a mess. Plenty of talent in the cupboard. The fanbase is a mess but I don't blame Bo for that, I blame Al Gore for inventing the internet. If anything he is leaving big shoes to fill considering what Riley brings to the table record wise.

I think that's it's clear that the culture in the program needs to be cleaned up, It is toxic. Not sure if that will really happen until Harv is gone, but at least this guy will have Harv's approval stamp.

But it's clear that this guy walks into a much better situation than Bo did, better talent across the board, no crapahan stench, no,change of conferences. Etc.