Disappointed with all the negativity

Beemer13

I'm with you, Beemer, but I think it's really a minority with the negativity. And a lot of the skepticism, in my opinion, comes from the fact that we didn't know the guy's name. I doubt Frost or Whittingham or Narduzzi or whatever other coordinator would really be a better candidate, but those were the names thrown about.

one thing for sure, this hire will define Echorist!

I'm just really impressed with the professionalism of our AD. I like the way he does things and hope he sticks around for quite some time. Definitely hope this hire rewards the AD's faith in him.

Think about Foley at Florida, though. This is the guy that hired Ron Zook. And then Urban Meyer. And then Will Muschamp. And now Jim McElwain. Getting an elite coach is a risky dice roll. Though I think the classy mutual exit with Muschamp is definitely to his credit.

• Fire 1

I'm excited about the new staff.

There has been a ton of negativity surrounding this program recently. Not surprising really, this program has become somewhat toxic and I think our former coaches contributed greatly.

Regardless, fans can cheer and show support, but criticism and discussion is only natural. I know some people don't think so. The problem is when it goes overboard and becomes hateful or destructive. I don't see that from most. Most just want to see better and want to find the answers to why theres such a lack of progress. The only reason they take it so personally is because they care. There is a point where you can take it too personal and I myself have battled that back. I think I've gotten better over time.

The people I don't understand is the ones saying their going to bail off the Husker wagon if they don't start winning immediately or if the coaches don't win immediately. Setting these strange ultimatums for their fanhood. Too many people are focused on numbers, especially wins and losses. If anyone is so prepared to abandon their Husker fanhood, by all means go ahead. Sure wins and losses are obviously important, but there's a lot more to it. This last coaching regime should have taught people a lot, if people were just willing to learn.

You could have said you quit on them because you feel like they quit on you. I felt like that this last two years. Then Eichorst made this move, for the good of the program, and it showed me this program is still committed to being great. We needed this. A fresh start.

I want to see good football. Fundamental football. I want the players to look like they're having fun. I want to see some passion, unlimited effort. I want to see the best prospects from this state get a scholarship. I want to see leadership. I want to see pride. I want to see competition at all positions, in every game, on every play. I want to see kids hungry to learn and I want to see coaches hungry to teach them. Not a team with their heads hung low as they're coaches yell at them.

If I see those things, we might still lose.....but if we do those things, we most likely win. We should be able to take pride in those things as Husker fans.

• Fire 2

Truly hasn't been a better week in the last 7 years for me. We have a man that wants the job, isn't looking to leave every time the heat gets turned up. Not looking for the end of the rainbow. Wants to be involved with the fans and state he will follow our history and tradition. Very much reminds me of Tom Osborne, only a talkative one!!!

I am tired of the negativity, I think we all are.

Give this guy a chance, be the fans we claim to be. He has never done anything against this program. That is a vast improvement over his predecessor.

Clean slate, lets start being Nebraska again. It starts with Coach Riley and each and everyone of us. Lets be the best fans in college football.

• Fire 3

I don't think it matters whether we're negative or positive. If Riley does a good job and puts together a winning team we'll all be behind him. If his team is bad , all these positive people who claim this was the greatest hire ever will turn on him like a pack of hungry hyenas.

Some of us might point out that he's doing okay but there are just a few things that need fixing, but we'll be called every name in the book by these same experts who will be strutting around sportin' a tomato face like Bo after a bad call and passing around petitions to exile the coaching staff from the state.

• Fire 2

I'm with you Beemer. New coach, new hope. Big programs have wanted him. I see no value in anything but full support. If he does well, Eichorst is a genius. If he does fair, at least we won't be embarrassed by a temper tantrum throwing coach. If he fails, we'll try again, maybe with a new AD. But it's going to be good. Have a bit of patience for the turnover to the new staff, and I'll bet he takes us higher than we got with Bo or Cally.

• Fire 1

IMO, the success of this HC depends on the quality of the assistants he hires. I am hoping it is the best available, not the best from Oregon St and NU, but the best money can buy.

When looking at MR, we got what we want, save a guy who is a "proven" winner. I am guessing this means guys who have win the MNC or conference championships.....This would be a small and exclusive list. What we got was a HC who has been in the business a long time. Who has coached at the pro and college level, won the equivalent of the Super Bowl in Canada twice and has had some players get some post season accolades while managing to win bowl games and knock of top level competition.....while coaching at a Lowe level PAC 12 school. He has the knowledge and contacts to make a go of this.

Last years flavor of the week , James Franklin, has a career record no better than Reilly. McElwain this year, if not or the 10-2 at CSU, would not have a winning record......He was the OC for Saban. But Bo was a hit shot DC for Stoops and Miles..........

My only concern is his knowledge of the B1G and it's style of play. Seems NU took a few years to figure it out. The PAC 12 save Stanford, isn't a "physical" league IMO. I like the idea of a pro style O if it means a TE and FB, QB under center and running down hill. Not looking forward to a pass happy WCO........if Reillly holds true to his word, he already knows our players abilities and will hopefully bring in an OC who can maximize what we have while seemlessly transitioning to what he wants.

I am spalso hoping ( possibly wrong) that SE would have explained the need to get a home run with the OC and DC, possibly even throwing out some names........

I am also relieved that the talking heads seem to like the hire and think its a good move. Especially after the firing a 9 win coach stuff........

Good input folks. Thanks for all the comments. I admit I was as shocked as everyone with the Riley hire. I looked at his record and scratched my head. I wanted Bo gone at halftime of the Wisconsin game. For me, it was painful to watch that game. I shut it off in the 3Rd quarter. I hate to see my Huskers lose, but i hate even more the image of our coach stopmping around the sidelines screaming at players, refs, and asst. coaches. The fact that after every flag or big play the cameras were trained on Pelini, waiting for the meltdown. I mentioned my age because its important that I grew up watching a coach and the entire program conduct themselves with dignity and respect. I think that had a lot to do with how successful our program was in general. Other teams wanted to be like Nebraska, other fans gushed about their experience at Memorial Stadium, we were the standard. A program tends to take on the attitude of its leaders. The last 15 years has been tough and I think as a fanbase we have sort of forgotten what makes this place so special.

I'm excited about what Mike Riley brings to us and why I think SE went after him. He is the antithesis of the last 2 coaches and he does with less. We have the money to bring in a quality staff that will develop underappreciated talent and turn them into great athletes. If that happens then we have replicated the formula that Tom Osborne mastered and that we as fans were so proud of. I dont expect to win every game or get a trophy every year, but if we can be competitive and do it with class, I will be a happy Husker. Heres hoping Shawn got it right.

I have seen a lot of negative posts, but I would say it's mostly because we are all fans here, and we want the Huskers to be really good again. We want to win conference championships and be in the mix for either one of the prestigious bowl games or the national championship. The last decade has been hard on all of us (at least for me anyway, but I think most would agree). I think Bo did an okay job and brought some hope back after Callahan, but he didn't get us to quite the spot we wanted to be in. Enter Mike Riley. I'm anxious to see what kind of staff he surrounds himself with, what they can do with this year's recruiting class, and what the team will look like next year.

FWIW, going for two was the right call.

Yes indeed. Going for two was the right call.

I feel out of place, being one of not many Husker fans who knew about Mike Riley. Which is mostly due to having a friend that went to OSU. He always gushed over Riley and talked about how well he would do at a big time program. I hope he's right.

I don't get this?

Most knowledgeable fan-base in college football? Huh?

I've been shocked that about only 20% of the people on here know about Mike Riley. He was only the coach of the Chargers 15 years ago...he was on everyone's top 3 list in coaching hires 10 years ago.

Is everyone on this board 7 years old??????

I have seen a lot of negative posts, but I would say it's mostly because we are all fans here, and we want the Huskers to be really good again. We want to win conference championships and be in the mix for either one of the prestigious bowl games or the national championship. The last decade has been hard on all of us (at least for me anyway, but I think most would agree). I think Bo did an okay job and brought some hope back after Callahan, but he didn't get us to quite the spot we wanted to be in. Enter Mike Riley. I'm anxious to see what kind of staff he surrounds himself with, what they can do with this year's recruiting class, and what the team will look like next year.

It was a ballsy call but if it was the right one or not is up for debate. Never know how OT would of worked out.

If Einchorst wouldn't of said money is no object that i dont think alot of people would question his move. They would of questioned it to an extent but maybe been like well this is what he could get. But when you say money isnt an issue you think hes gonna throw the bank vault and Saban, or Miles, or even Tressel to get the job done here. He didnt do that so alot of people are taken back by it.

Right after he said that he also said that a lot of programs have thrown money at problems and it hasn't worked. He simply was saying they were going to get the right person and money wasn't an issue.

My guess is you will see some very well paid assistants on this staff

It was a ballsy call but if it was the right one or not is up for debate. Never know how OT would of worked out.

Yeah we do... There was no OT then. Would have been a tie and Nebraska likely win the NC

I'm with you Beemer. New coach, new hope. Big programs have wanted him. I see no value in anything but full support. If he does well, Eichorst is a genius. If he does fair, at least we won't be embarrassed by a temper tantrum throwing coach. If he fails, we'll try again, maybe with a new AD. But it's going to be good. Have a bit of patience for the turnover to the new staff, and I'll bet he takes us higher than we got with Bo or Cally.

I want to be with you, but then I get that vision of his record. I read more positives, then I get that vision of his record, more positives, more visions. One thing I am proud of is being part of the Husker fan family. Can't family members talk among themselves?

Didn't have OT back then did we? What a tie would have meant would have been a sharing of a national title. And recognition from the most knowledgeable that we actually deserve the title more than Miami because we were essentially playing on their turf.

• Fire 1