Armstrong's future

My money is on Tommy to be the starter next year. The guy has played a lot of games.

And what about that has anything to do with being next years starter? I think we've seen what Tommy has to offer....hard north and south runner can't move laterally....locks on to one receiver and an average passer at best.

And so you can say Stanton will be the starter based on what? He hasn't played.

Based on how bad Tommy looked at times there's no way Stanton couldn't be better........Between the interceptions, fumbles, locking onto receivers, and flat out looking like a cry baby out there

For god sakes Tommy went whole halves without completing passes

If Stanton was so much better than Armstrong why is he number three on the depth chart..... And don't tell me preferential treatment I don't buy it in this case.

It will be interesting too see how he develops under Riley but i honestly think we will see Stanton start only one season as a red shirt senior after Tommy Graduates.

And something too many of the stanton crowd don't understand is that, and this is from Riley himself, his offense is flexible. It is the sum of its parts so too speak. What ever this offense strengths are that is what they will do. Right now we are a run first team with an option QB. So next years offense isn't that much of a mystery.

This means we are not guaranteed too run a pro style offense next year just because our third string QB fits his offense.

Guys, NO one is saying its a lock in or anything. And NO one is saying tommy isnt teachable. I think the point is just being made that Stanton was on Rileys radar for a reason so there is reason to believe that he would fit better in to Rileys offence vs Pelinis. Tommy has the experience but yea at times tommy was just flat out bad but like martinez bo put his entire faith in him when he should of been riding the pine after his display in some of those games.

I think all hands will get a shot at earning the starting spot, including TA.

I think Riley will make it work with what he has next year. As far as the long term is concerned, its not that inconceivable that we start seeing recruits at the QB position that are less of the "multiple"/raw talent athlete type that can run a variant of the option and then pass and more of a 6'4"/6'5" type of pocket QB that is a good athlete (e.g., can move laterally to buy time in the pocket) and a far more polished passer and reader of defenses.

My money is on Tommy to be the starter next year. The guy has played a lot of games.

And what about that has anything to do with being next years starter? I think we've seen what Tommy has to offer....hard north and south runner can't move laterally....locks on to one receiver and an average passer at best.

Based on how bad Tommy looked at times there's no way Stanton couldn't be better........Between the interceptions, fumbles, locking onto receivers, and flat out looking like a cry baby out there

So based on speculation? If anybody has a chance to overtake TA I'd say it's Fyfe. He was second string after all.

And something too many of the stanton crowd don't understand is that, and this is from Riley himself, his offense is flexible. It is the sum of its parts so too speak. What ever this offense strengths are that is what they will do. Right now we are a run first team with an option QB. So next years offense isn't that much of a mystery.

thought that this year and what did we get?

Riley has never had a Quarterback rush for more then 200 yards in a season(since 2003). Lets not confuse "Flexible" with all the sudden Riley is going to start running the triple-option.

I hAve always thought TA could be great. He shows moments but the previous regimes inability to actually coach someone up has hurt him. Add on top of that the atrocious line play and you get what we see today. Fix the line and provide some actual coaching and you will be surprised.

Why do you think OSU appeara to have three Heisman worthy QB's? Coaching and line play make a huge difference. If TA was playing at OSU I'd bet alot of money he'd look the part.

• Fire 2

Guys, NO one is saying its a lock in or anything. And NO one is saying tommy isnt teachable. I think the point is just being made that Stanton was on Rileys radar for a reason so there is reason to believe that he would fit better in to Rileys offence vs Pelinis. Tommy has the experience but yea at times tommy was just flat out bad but like martinez bo put his entire faith in him when he should of been riding the pine after his display in some of those games.

A lot of those games were Tim Becks fault, not Tommies. Don't mistake the two. Play calling was atrocious at Mich State, Minny, and Wiscy. Those defenses read and played our pass attack very well. In that situation you need a very experienced Qb or an elite one too beat them.

When you watch Martinez's tape you see him tuck the ball and run a lot due to the defenses correctly reading the routes and smothering the WR's. Armstrong is more disciplined and stays in the pocket way more than he should under the same circumstances, and forces plays too often while missing others. But what sophmore QB hasn't?

Martinez and Armstrong are equally victims of Tim Becks ineptly planned pass attacks and even worse play calling.

You guys and your pro-style, gunslinging perception. You gotta get past this. Riley has done a few different things offensively in his time at Oregon St. He's a good football coach. He has a record of building systems and calling plays to the skillsets of his players. For the love of god already, get passed his last two years with a passing qb and poor record and do some research before gettin so carried away with the doom and gloom stuff on Riley. If Armstrong's actually the best qb, and turns out to be on our team, Riley and his offensive staff will be able devise a system that he can run, and run successfully. That's something that has not been happening. Not for Tommy this year, and not for Taylor Martinez most the time either.

But in the end, seeing Riley's ability to develop underestimated talent, I'm really excited for the possiblity of Johnny Stanton emerging.

who was better than Martinez? Never mind don't want this to turn into a TM bashing thread

You guys and your pro-style, gunslinging perception. You gotta get past this. Riley has done a few different things offensively in his time at Oregon St. He's a good football coach. He has a record of building systems and calling plays to the skillsets of his players. For the love of god already, get passed his last two years with a passing qb and poor record and do some research before gettin so carried away with the doom and gloom stuff on Riley. If Armstrong's actually the best qb, and turns out to be on our team, Riley and his offensive staff will be able devise a system that he can run, and run successfully. That's something that has not been happening. Not for Tommy this year, and not for Taylor Martinez most the time either.

But in the end, seeing Riley's ability to develop underestimated talent, I'm really excited for the possiblity of Johnny Stanton emerging.

who was better than Martinez? Never mind don't want this to turn into a TM bashing thread

Andrew Luck

Andrew Luck

ha unfortunately he didn't play for NU

So based on speculation? If anybody has a chance to overtake TA I'd say it's Fyfe. He was second string after all.

if tommie starts again, we have no qbs.

Going to throw out a question here. Is it possible that both Martinez and Armstrong got QB help in the off-season due to the lack of help they were getting during the season? Everyone on the board saw it as putting in extra time but it could damn well have been the only coaching they were getting that year.

Lets say Stanton is good enough to QB from here on out. Does Armstrong convert to WR or RB or would you see him saying f it and transfer out.

I dont think that TA could be a running back...he just takes to long to get started...he always looks like he is stuck in mudd until he gets his stride. He also seems very hesitant to pick a spot and go.