Armstrong's future

My money is on Tommy to be the starter next year. The guy has played a lot of games.

And what about that has anything to do with being next years starter? I think we've seen what Tommy has to offer....hard north and south runner can't move laterally....locks on to one receiver and an average passer at best.

And so you can say Stanton will be the starter based on what? He hasn't played.

Based on how bad Tommy looked at times there's no way Stanton couldn't be better........Between the interceptions, fumbles, locking onto receivers, and flat out looking like a cry baby out there

For god sakes Tommy went whole halves without completing passes

So, let me get this straight. We have had a staff that everyone agrees couldn't develop a QB. We now have an HC that is known for developing QBs and all our QBs are going to improve but TA isn't.

Got it.

Lets say Stanton is good enough to QB from here on out. Does Armstrong convert to WR or RB or would you see him saying f it and transfer out.

I dont think that TA could be a running back...he just takes to long to get started...he always looks like he is stuck in mudd until he gets his stride. He also seems very hesitant to pick a spot and go.

And he fumbles too much

I see greatness in TA. Needs coaching and maturing. And tuck the ball and run like hell if they WR are covered. He's a big bodied guy get a few yards or bust one open for a long run. Just hold onto the dang ball. He makes me nervous when he gets hit.

What about Darlington, the kid played in a system in high school that asked him to make alot of quick accurate throws and to read the defense. He could surprise some people!

Darlington has a lot of potential and could make a case for starter or backup, but I question his health. Two very serious concussions in consecutive weeks to start his senior year of high school, a red shirt year to help him get healthy, and still some questions about his health. If he can get healthy, he's got potential.

Going to throw out a question here. Is it possible that both Martinez and Armstrong got QB help in the off-season due to the lack of help they were getting during the season? Everyone on the board saw it as putting in extra time but it could damn well have been the only coaching they were getting that year.

I think they were getting coached, but Martinez sought help too improve his fundamentals. His throwing mechanics were terrible. And he did this too accommodate Beck's desire to be able too throw more.

My money is on Tommy to be the starter next year. The guy has played a lot of games.

And what about that has anything to do with being next years starter? I think we've seen what Tommy has to offer....hard north and south runner can't move laterally....locks on to one receiver and an average passer at best.

Based on how bad Tommy looked at times there's no way Stanton couldn't be better........Between the interceptions, fumbles, locking onto receivers, and flat out looking like a cry baby out there

So based on speculation? If anybody has a chance to overtake TA I'd say it's Fyfe. He was second string after all.

Ya because we have to take the Bo Pelini depth chart seriously with Mark Pelini as our #1 center :confucius

• Fire 1

My. Where to start?

1. Seriously, you saw no improvement in TM. I thought he got much better as time went on. Granted, he got outside coaching, but that is not that unusual at QB. Better ball security would have been nice, but he appeared to be moving in that direction. It will be nice to have the best QB coach not be the grad assistant, though.

2. Where is TA going to go. He has used his redshirt year, so he either goes someplace and hopes to play one year or he slides down a division.

3. I, too would like to see what TA does with some QB coaching.

4. In terms of his completion percentage, I refer you to the lifetime stats of THE Tommie. Yes, the throws that he was asked to make were lower percentage, but watch the 1995 KS game. Damn.

5. I'm sure that Coach Riley gave up his essentially lifetime contract to get a shot at coaching a particular redshirt sophomore. (please tell me that was a joke)

So based on speculation? If anybody has a chance to overtake TA I'd say it's Fyfe. He was second string after all.

Ya because we have to take the Bo Pelini depth chart seriously with Mark Pelini as our #1 center :confucius

What do you know of Stanton outside of the Elite 11 camp?

Hate to say it but it was pretty evident this year that Tommy Armstrong doesn't go through his progressions well and doesn't check down either. He has hot routes and telegraphs his throws. How many times this year did he completely not see a wide open Kenny Bell or other receiver?? Lots. I can't recall one screen or dump off to Abdullah other than the miracle play by Ameer vs McNeese.

You can't coach vision in a QB. You either got it or you don't. See Zac Taylor/Joe Ganz. TA is Martinez 2.0 minus the Forrest Gump straight line speed.

If Stanton was so much better than Armstrong why is he number three on the depth chart..... And don't tell me preferential treatment I don't buy it in this case.

It will be interesting too see how he develops under Riley but i honestly think we will see Stanton start only one season as a red shirt senior after Tommy Graduates.

And something too many of the stanton crowd don't understand is that, and this is from Riley himself, his offense is flexible. It is the sum of its parts so too speak. What ever this offense strengths are that is what they will do. Right now we are a run first team with an option QB. So next years offense isn't that much of a mystery.

This means we are not guaranteed too run a pro style offense next year just because our third string QB fits his offense.

It will be a even field in the spring, if Tommy wants to keep the staring job he will have to prove to Riley that he is the best one for it

I have heard rumblings that Stanton is pretty accurate at times, but he locks onto the first read and tends to throw it there no matter what. Sound familiar? Good to see we have someone coming in that can actually coach up the QBs. I don't think there is a lack of talent at the position, there has only been a lack of coaching.

My take is that he ends up leaving the program or else just becomes irrelevant.

He doesn't have the tools to run Riley's offense. He could barely run ours (see his completion % vs winning teams); let alone a pro style .

The last interesting nugget is that Riley was interested in Stanton out of high school

Will be interesting to see how a new coach sees the position considering Pelini was pretty well known for loyalty to starters despite how bad they played and/or who was behind them

He's not going to leave and I'd bet he starts. His biggest problem, Beck, will be gone and this should have happened long ago. Hopefully with a new S&C staff and OLC the OL can give him better protection.

Sorry about you being minus one nad makes it hard to get through life and really understand football.

T_O_B