Torture Report

The CIA rejects those criticisms, saying the Senate report is wrong.

In a statement, Director John Brennan admitted to some "shortcomings" and said the CIA had implemented some "remedial measures."

"Our review indicates that interrogations of detainees on whom EITs were used did produce intelligence that helped thwart attack plans, capture terrorists, and save lives," Brennan said. "The intelligence gained from the program was critical to our understanding of al-Qaida and continues to inform our counterterrorism efforts to this day."

This isn't as bad as I thought it might be (I mean it's still bad, don't get me wrong). I'm also just going by the summary and haven't read the report myself.

Announcing its release, Feinstein said the report found a program that is a "stain on our values and our history." But she said it is important to release this report because it will show the world that "America is big enough to admit when it is wrong."

The release of this report is important, she said, because the U.S. needs to "face an ugly truth and say never again."

She's kidding herself if she thinks this stuff won't continue. They'll just get more creative.

Interesting stuff, carl. Thanks for posting.

Don't care. Turn the CIA lose. Politicians butt out and tend to the business that you were elected to do.

"You wanna know how to get the enemy? They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. That should be the American way! And that’s how you get the enemy. Now do you want to do that? Are you ready to do that?"* We need to be.

These people would not think twice about torturing and killing you and your family. They are the cowards who plant bombs in places where hundreds of non-combatants gather. The only mercy they deserve is a quick death.

T_O_B

*A bastardized quote from Jim Malone The Untouchables

There are several ugly bits here, not least that the CIA detained an "intellectually challenged" man to try to make a relative of his talk. But that highlighted part is particularly revealing. The CIA tortured a detainee, he then gave them some bad information, and they used that bad information to detain two more people. It shows how secret programs of torture and detention can become a self-perpetuating system, with little accountability, that spirals out of control.

http://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/12/9/7360871/torture-report-innocent-people

These people would not think twice about torturing and killing you and your family.

In some cases you're right but we shouldn't be so cowardly as to stoop to their level.

Make no mistake that cowardice and fear are what we're talking about here. Torturing people isn't an act of patriotism or bravery.

The CIA rejects those criticisms, saying the Senate report is wrong.

In a statement, Director John Brennan admitted to some "shortcomings" and said the CIA had implemented some "remedial measures."

"Our review indicates that interrogations of detainees on whom EITs were used did produce intelligence that helped thwart attack plans, capture terrorists, and save lives," Brennan said. "The intelligence gained from the program was critical to our understanding of al-Qaida and continues to inform our counterterrorism efforts to this day."

Well that settles it.

After seeing several of my fellow Americans getting their heads sawed off by these a*s clowns, I could really give a sh*t less what we did to their associates that had no long term physical damage.

How about an innocent civilian being trapped on an upper floor of a high-rise that is on fire and when the flames got close enough to start smoldering your clothes, having to choose between being burned alive and having to leap several hundred feet to your death on the sidewalk below?

Maybe crying about the rights of a moosie who would build an IED and strap it on to his own child to try and kill you and your buddies who were there trying to ensure that the local girls had an opportunity to go to school and make something out of their lives?

Most of what they did is regularly used on our own military personnel in SERE training.

Discomfort? Stress? I would imagine none of that compares to having a dull knife stuck through your throat and feeling your neck being methodically sawed through.

F&%k Feinstein!

I don't want our government doing things that are against international law. I want our military/CIA to be doing things that actually accomplish our goals, keeps us safe and is appropriate for what needs to be accomplished.

That said, I have tried to feel sorry for the people who have found themselves on the other side of this. I honestly have. I believe as a human, I should feel sorry for people who are caught up in something that causes them to be tortured.

But......I just can't. After seeing and witnessing what these people are willing to do to Americans or others who they don't like.....sorry.....I just can't muster feelings for them. Now, if someone is innocent and just ended up there because they were at the wrong place at the wrong time, yeah...I feel bad for them. But, I have no clue who or if anyone of them was actually innocent.

I pray that God has mercy for them. Other than that.....blaa......

I think that the most baffling aspect of public opinion on this issue is that a sizable portion of the population that claims to not trust the government supports the government when it is either torturing or executing people.

The baffling part is that the cognitive dissonance isn't absolutely crippling.

• Fire 3