Torture Report

I think that the most baffling aspect of public opinion on this issue is that a sizable portion of the population that claims to not trust the government supports the government when it is either torturing or executing people.

The baffling part is that the cognitive dissonance isn't absolutely crippling.

The same could be said for people who seem to believe the government can solve so many problems if they allowed more and more into our lives but.....hey.....look at the horrible things they are capable of doing.

The blade cuts both ways.

I think that the most baffling aspect of public opinion on this issue is that a sizable portion of the population that claims to not trust the government supports the government when it is either torturing or executing people.

The same could be said for people who seem to believe the government can solve so many problems if they allowed more and more into our lives but.....hey.....look at the horrible things they are capable of doing.

Huh? I think those are quite a bit different. I happen to think that the government is capable of good and is capable of evil.

That seems dissimilar from the "government is always bad!" crowd, right?

• Fire 1
The Senate torture report is set up as a series of case studies, looking at how dozens of detainees were treated by the United States.

Surely the report must look into more than merely *dozens* of detainees. They reviewed 6 million pages of documents in preparing the damned thing. The Executive Summary of the report is 500 pages long.

I wonder how many millions (or tens of millions) of dollars we've wasted on this report. Perhaps we should waterboard the people who wasted all that taxpayer money. :facepalm:

• Fire 3

The Senate torture report is set up as a series of case studies, looking at how dozens of detainees were treated by the United States.

Surely the report must look into more than merely *dozens* of detainees. They reviewed 6 million pages of documents in preparing the damned thing. The Executive Summary of the report is 500 pages long.

I wonder how many millions (or tens of millions) of dollars we've wasted on this report. Perhaps we should waterboard the people who wasted all that taxpayer money. :facepalm:

I think you're on to something.

Huh? I think those are quite a bit different. I happen to think that the government is capable of good and is capable of evil.

Where did I say you were the one I was talking about?

There are people who when you talk about government encroachment into our lives have the attitude of...."Come on, that's just a bunch of tin foil hat stuff. They are only trying to help". Meanwhile, it has proven time and time again that it can do the most awful/horrendous things when allowed more and more power.

There are people who when you talk about government encroachment into our lives have the attitude of...."Come on, that's just a bunch of tin foil hat stuff. They are only trying to help". Meanwhile, it has proven time and time again that it can do the most awful/horrendous things when allowed more and more power.

So what are you trying to say with the bold?

I went through SERE. While I can confirm that some of this stuff takes place you also don't have that feeling of unknown, whether or not you'll actually make it out of there. It's training, not real life. You can DOR at anytime. Don't compare this to SERE.

Oh yeah? Did they issue the chicken or the bunny in your class?

If KSM and his Johnny Jihad cronnies had that gut wrenching "feeling of the unknown", well count me in the camp that has no pity.

The job was to extract information to save American lives. Now the Kalifornia Swamp Donkey stands on her political throne and releases info that's sadly going to get more Americans killed.

By the way it kind of makes you scratch your head and wonder why release this today? Oh yeah, Gruber is testifying before Congress regarding Obamacare. Great smoke screen by the left.

I don't know how I stumbled in here but I'm stumbling out. Makes my blood boil. I prefer to hang out in political forums with like minded peeps. Merry Christmas y'all!

So what are you trying to say with the bold?

Pretty much what it says. There are people in the world that are all for bigger government and more involvement in our lives. BUT, then they also are shocked and rant when something like this torture is revealed.

Interestingly, they then turn around and ridicule people who are concerned about bigger government and their involvement in our lives.

This is no different than the people who rant about Government involvement in our lives but then support and have no problem with them doing things like this torture.

Both groups of people have contradictory emotions towards government.

Pretty much what it says. There are people in the world that are all for bigger government and more involvement in our lives. BUT, then they also are shocked and rant when something like this torture is revealed.

Interestingly, they then turn around and ridicule people who are concerned about bigger government and their involvement in our lives.

This is no different than the people who rant about Government involvement in our lives but then support and have no problem with them doing things like this torture.

That doesn't seem like a particularly strong argument to me. Is anyone for larger government for the sake of larger government?

It seems like you're trying to draw parallels where there aren't any.

That doesn't seem like a particularly strong argument to me. Is anyone for larger government for the sake of larger government?

It seems like you're trying to draw parallels where there aren't any.

If you choose to see the problem only from one side....then...hey...to each their own.

You get the board NU I'll get the water and a case of beer. What the hell, no football on Saturday might as well have some other kind of fun.

T_O_B

• Fire 1

Every single person up to and including Bush that authorized this should be tried in the Hague for war crimes. The fact that anyone thinks that this is acceptable is just plain sickening. Rape and Torture is subhuman... It's perpetrated by evil men. Every time I think maybe we've progressed as a species farther then the dark ages at least I can count on something like this to come up and prove me wrong.

• Fire 1

But the case for limited government is weakened when those making it ignore or defend torture, testicle-crushing, and waterboarding, complaining only about big government when someone proposes spending taxpayer dollars to help people. And I say that as someone who has written a book arguing that seemingly benign and compassionate government spending can curtail individual freedom.

It is difficult to take someone seriously who thinks the imprisonment of human beings in cages and the behavior of government agents with guns have less impact on personal freedom than the capital-gains tax rate. That is one reason it is so easy for many to dismiss arguments against programs like Obamacare as being motivated purely by economic self-interest.

Some of the same people who wanted to shine a light on the White House’s Obamacare machinations wanted to hide the torture report for the benefit of a previous administration.

Refusing to apply the same scrutiny to more sweeping government powers as insurance regulations isn’t conservatism. It’s what Jonathan Gruber might call stupidity.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/republicans-torture-report-jonathan-gruber-hypocrisy/

[The] United States is committed to the world-wide elimination of torture and we are leading this fight by example. I call on all governments to join with the United States and the community of law-abiding nations in prohibiting, investigating, and prosecuting all acts of torture and in undertaking to prevent other cruel and unusual punishment.

George W. Bush, June 2003.