Cuba

The United States will open an embassy in Cuba for the first time in a half century and restore full diplomatic relations, senior administration officials announced Wednesday.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2014/12/17/alan-gross-released-from-cuban-prison.html?via=twitter_page

Wow. About time, too. NUance will probably rejoice. :P

Ha ha! It IS awesome. Opening Cuba was one of Obama's original campaign promises way back in 2008. Aside from the cigars (which is what I think you're referring to above), I've been saying this for years. Why don't we open Cuba? We should have done this shortly after the Soviet Union disbanded. It would've been good for both countries.

• Fire 1

Does this mean I can go fishing in Cuba now? I have very much wanted to do this.

Looks like it:

"We're authorizing as much travel as we can within the constraint of the legislation," a senior administration official told reporters before Obama spoke. The embargo will still stay in place pending Congressional action. Americans will be permitted to use debit and credit cards in Cuba, and Americans will be able to bring back Cuban cigars legally for the first time in over 50 years.

Does this mean I can go fishing in Cuba now? I have very much wanted to do this.

Looks like it:

"We're authorizing as much travel as we can within the constraint of the legislation," a senior administration official told reporters before Obama spoke. The embargo will still stay in place pending Congressional action. Americans will be permitted to use debit and credit cards in Cuba, and Americans will be able to bring back Cuban cigars legally for the first time in over 50 years.

I for one can't wait for the hipster quips, "pfft, I went to Cuba BEFORE it got Americanized"