USA Today Coach's Corner: Mike Riley

Mavric

Q: I was in Corvallis earlier this week speaking with your successor, Gary Andersen. The general impression I received from inside the football building is that people were surprised by your departure but not shocked, if that makes any sense. In my mind, that might be because you've had other opportunities in the past. What made this one different?

A: Gosh, you know, I think that's the $1 million question. It's hard. But I guess I would describe it like this: I was at a point at Oregon State where I felt … I loved the place, I loved the kids. If I was ever going to leave, I always wanted to be able to leave not because I was unhappy or because like people say, you know, it was time you go. Also, the thought crossed my mind, "Hey, there's lots of exciting things in life." And when they cross your plate, you either try it or you don't. And either choice can be good. But I figured that at my age and this stage of my career, that if I was going to do it this was probably going to be my last chance to do something different.

Link

• Fire 1

The one thing that is for sure about Nebraska, it is the only show in the state. It's one of those few places that doesn't have another major university or pro team. I understand the attention and the expectations. That's OK with me because I've coached in the NFL and I know when people talk about pressure and all that. I think mostly pressure is self-induced. We all want to compete and win and do well.

So within that top 25 of recruiting, I firmly believe that we can find our niche and get the right talent of player and the right person to come here. I just have a belief in that. I wouldn't have taken the job if I didn't.

These lines really stood out to me. It's kind of the antithesis of what we've been hearing for the past couple weeks here. A bit refreshing to hear, if I may say so.

• Fire 1

The one thing that is for sure about Nebraska, it is the only show in the state. It's one of those few places that doesn't have another major university or pro team. I understand the attention and the expectations. That's OK with me because I've coached in the NFL and I know when people talk about pressure and all that. I think mostly pressure is self-induced. We all want to compete and win and do well.

So within that top 25 of recruiting, I firmly believe that we can find our niche and get the right talent of player and the right person to come here. I just have a belief in that. I wouldn't have taken the job if I didn't.

These lines really stood out to me. It's kind of the antithesis of what we've been hearing for the past couple weeks here. A bit refreshing to hear, if I may say so.

NO! Recruiting is hard and fans expect too much!

Recruiting is hard, a 24/7 job. The past staff thought that people would come like they did to LSU. Never mentioning they had Miles who is one of the best recruiters to ever grace the sideline. We have a staff that wants to recruit, is not going to eliminate kids because of star power. Nebraska can bring in 5 star athletes, but if you never try to get them, or make half assed attempts to get them your screwed. Aim high. Never eliminate a kid until he has signed with someone else. Things change, communication is the key.

This group using social media like they do is going to pay off for them I think. They act like they want to be here, and want top kids to come here. They see the positives, that must be sold. We are in a far better place than we were a month ago.

It's hard not to get excited about his staff. They seem to be above average in recruiting (not quite Callahan-esq) and have a track record of developing talent. I'm not sure we have had that combination since TO.

whoaaaaaa.........there, big guy. let's see some results before we start comparing this bunch to TO and his staff.

• Fire 1

It's hard not to get excited about his staff. They seem to be above average in recruiting (not quite Callahan-esq) and have a track record of developing talent. I'm not sure we have had that combination since TO.

whoaaaaaa.........there, big guy. let's see some results before we start comparing this bunch to TO and his staff.

Or we could see some results before we start pissing and moaning about them.

• Fire 1

Recruiting is hard, a 24/7 job. The past staff thought that people would come like they did to LSU. Never mentioning they had Miles who is one of the best recruiters to ever grace the sideline. We have a staff that wants to recruit, is not going to eliminate kids because of star power. Nebraska can bring in 5 star athletes, but if you never try to get them, or make half assed attempts to get them your screwed. Aim high. Never eliminate a kid until he has signed with someone else. Things change, communication is the key.

This group using social media like they do is going to pay off for them I think. They act like they want to be here, and want top kids to come here. They see the positives, that must be sold. We are in a far better place than we were a month ago.

After all the crying Pelini and his staff did about the fans, the media, the administration, and on and on it should come as no surprise they weren't able to convince more recruits to come here. Hard to convince people to come somewhere when you don't want to be there yourself.

• Fire 3