Why isn't there as much public outrage with the cop killer...

NUance

"Police officers shot dead a teenager armed with a handgun after he got out of a stolen car in St. Louis on Wednesday night.

The shooting comes five months after a police officer shot dead an unarmed teenager in a suburb of the city.

Officers were tailing the car, which was reported stolen in December, when it struck a wall and for sport or target shooting the engine stopped, St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson told reporters.

The 19-year-old passenger was carrying a Tec 9 handgun (semi automatic hand gun, what's he doing with this?) when he got out of the car to flee, and officers ordered him to drop the weapon, Dotson said. Both officers opened fire when he did not, fatally wounding him, he added."

What?

"Police officers shot dead a teenager armed with a handgun after he got out of a stolen car in St. Louis on Wednesday night.

The shooting comes five months after a police officer shot dead an unarmed teenager in a suburb of the city.

Officers were tailing the car, which was reported stolen in December, when it struck a wall and for sport or target shooting the engine stopped, St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson told reporters.

The 19-year-old passenger was carrying a Tec 9 handgun (semi automatic hand gun, what's he doing with this?) when he got out of the car to flee, and officers ordered him to drop the weapon, Dotson said. Both officers opened fire when he did not, fatally wounding him, he added."

What?

Seems pretty self explanatory.

T_O_B

Officers were tailing the car, which was reported stolen in December, when it struck a wall the engine stopped, St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson told reporters.

What should be said is that the officers also saved the lives of all those people who would have been killed by this person if he had not been stopped. Tec 9, not for sport or target shooting, killing is what its for. The people of St Louis should award these two officers a medal, thank God they walked away unharmed.

The world is better off without the person who was killed. He made a very poor decision when he didn't drop the weapon.

T_O_B

Officers were tailing the car, which was reported stolen in December, when it struck a wall the engine stopped, St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson told reporters.

What should be said is that the officers also saved the lives of all those people who would have been killed by this person if he had not been stopped. Tec 9, not for sport or target shooting, killing is what its for. The people of St Louis should award these two officers a medal, thank God they walked away unharmed.

The world is better off without the person who was killed. He made a very poor decision when he didn't drop the weapon.

T_O_B

Fixed my typo. Sorry you guys couldn't figure it out.

T_O_B

I think I'll just leave this here.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/01/15/miami-police-target-practice-mug-shots-blacks/21834491/

North Miami Beach police are facing criticism for using mug shots of black suspects for target practice.

One of the six bullet-riddled faces was the brother of a Florida National Guard sergeant, who was shocked when she arrived at the gun range after police snipers last month, according to WTVJ-TV. Her brother had served four years in prison for a fatal drag race as a teenager, but turned his life around after his release in 2004.

North Miami Beach Police J. Scott Dennis defended his sniper team, which he said includes minority officers. No policies were violated, no racial profiling was involved and none of the officers would be disciplined, he said.

I saw that story, too. I didn't post it because the headline was misleading: That PD uses White and Hispanic mugshots, too. It's part of their facial-recognition training.

If they ONLY shot at Black mugshots, that would be a story. But shooting at all races.... that headline won't get you any clicks.

A little late, and it's possible I'm wrong, but I think in this specific instance it WAS only black mugshots.

That link is the only one I've seen mention other races, and it doesn't say they were used, just that their faces exist in the database. Every single other place I have seen has either not mentioned any other races or explicitly stated that in regards to this story, only black faces were used.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the general population is pretty hurt, scared, pissed, and hesitant too. The difference with your regular citizen is that we don't carry legal authority and a lethal weapon. When I screw up at my job, customers receive incorrect data. When police officers screw up at their job, people end up hurt and dead. That's why there's a demand for justice. And you should want justice and accountability too, BRI, in order to help make your fellow officers better at their job.

I do, and if you have any concern for your own safety, then you should as well.

T_O_B

Is that particular weapon banned in St. Louis? If not, then why is what type of weapon he had in question?