New, True Pro Style Offense Vs. Gimmicky Offense Run Now?

I think we ran an offense like Oregon with the spread but with just less tempo and of course did not execute like Oregon does. I think the pro set with Riley is going to benefit Nebraska with good quarterback play.

Ask Bucky what they think of their offense. Their QB was horrendous yesterday (cept for the last two possessions they had). And they still won the game.

If Cardale Jones has a terrible game, the Buckeyes don't win that game.

I guess I'm having a hard time following you in this thread.

An offensive system isn't gimmicky if you know how to run it and see successful. It's gimmicky if you try to run a system but don't have the success of others.

It's gimmicky if it's based on the QB being really good and is successful. OSUs offense isn't gimmicky because it is a power run system but last night they would have never won in the QB didn't have good game even though you said he was horrendous.

I think we ran an offense like Oregon with the spread but with just less tempo and of course did not execute like Oregon does. I think the pro set with Riley is going to benefit Nebraska with good quarterback play.

Ask Bucky what they think of their offense. Their QB was horrendous yesterday (cept for the last two possessions they had). And they still won the game.

If Cardale Jones has a terrible game, the Buckeyes don't win that game.

I guess I'm having a hard time following you in this thread.

An offensive system isn't gimmicky if you know how to run it and see successful. It's gimmicky if you try to run a system but don't have the success of others.

It's gimmicky if it's based on the QB being really good and is successful. OSUs offense isn't gimmicky because it is a power run system but last night they would have never won in the QB didn't have good game even though you said he was horrendous.

Okay friend - here's basically what I'm saying:

Spread:

1. If you are a team that uses this spread and you lack a certain level of execution - maybe you shouldn't be running it. (See Nebraska)

2. If you are a team that uses this spread and your QB lacks a certain level of discipline - maybe you shouldn't be running it. (See Nebraska)

3. If you are a team that uses this spread and you can't recruit the most top level talent - maybe you shouldn't be running it. (See Nebraska)

4. If you are a team that uses this spread and you aren't physical off the ball 100% of the time on offense - maybe you shouldn't be running it (See Nebraska)

A pro-style offense can erase most of a QB's deficiencies (cept yesterday in the case of Winston, LOLZ). The reason why both Bammer and Free Shoes got to the championship (even though both their QBs played like garbage at different times during the year) is because of the level of true multiple sets they run out of their pro style offenses. It doesn't get guys recruited (unless you live in Ohio or you give out free shoes like Oregon) to your school in an area that isn't talent rich traditionally (see Baylor).

The offense that both Bucky and Sparty played yesterday kept both their QBs in the game, even though both of their QBs had moments where they went full retard (Stave and his picks and that GAWD AWFUL pick by Shaw yesterday). If the wheels fall off when running the spread, they're off.

When Bo, on the day he got hired, said he wanted to run an offense like Florida's, I cringed.

P.S. - was watching both the playoff games yesterday. The difference between what Meyer/Helfrich does and other teams that run the spread (see Baylor yesterday) do? They don't run that check-with-me BS EVERY DAMN PLAY.

Baylor ran it with a 32 year old new coordinator and we see what happened.

They scored 41 points and ran up 583 yards of offense against the team that is#12 in the country in scoring defense and #7 in the nation in total defense?

My god

Define "pro style"

Ill wait.

Pro style offense, IMHO, is a scheme run at the professional level that uses a balanced attack of run and pass. Utilizes multiple formations and schemes based on match-ups and ball control. It does NOT, however, concentrate NOR funnel all execution through one player. You have to have more than one option.

Also, a pro-style offense must have a QB that can read defenses on the field (not from the sidelines), and must manage the game. This comes with experience and teaching.

How many times do you see a 'check with me' college style in the pros?

Also - other than a fortunate escape against McNeese, and him being hurt against Purdue, how many times did the Huskers win when Ameer had less than 100 yards - in the last two seasons?

I'll do the math for ya. Twice.

2013:

UCLA - 98 Yards. Loss.

Varmints - 165 yards. Loss.

Sparty - 123 yards. Loss.

Chicken Hawks - 85 yards. Loss.

2014:

Sparty - 45 yards. Loss.

Bucky - 69 yards. Loss.

Varmints - 98 yards. Loss.

USC - 88 yards. Loss.

2-6.

Shut one dude down, don't let the QB beat you. Doesn't make for good juju.

Oregon lost their #1 receiver on the opening kickoff, was missing a TE to injury. Didn't miss a beat. They got the depth and talent for it (because they're Free Shoes New, lol).

Buckeyes lost two Heisman trophy candidate QBs. Didn't miss a beat. They got the talent and depth AND coaching for it.

Not the same for the Huskers.

P.S. - was watching both the playoff games yesterday. The difference between what Meyer/Helfrich does and other teams that run the spread (see Baylor yesterday) do? They don't run that check-with-me BS EVERY DAMN PLAY.

Baylor ran it with a 32 year old new coordinator and we see what happened.

They scored 41 points and ran up 583 yards of offense against the team that is#12 in the country in scoring defense and #7 in the nation in total defense?

Yep, then they went full retard and couldn't finish out the game. Look at their last 4 possessions:

01:49 3 02:31 BAY 38 8 33 Missed FG

11:18 4 02:03 BAY 43 6 18 Downs

04:55 4 03:50 BAY 25 10 48 Missed FG

00:17 4 00:15 BAY 25 3 -13 Interception

Now, look at Sparty's:

14:18 4 02:09 MSU 29 5 71 Touchdown

12:09 4 00:51 MSU 47 2 39 Interception

09:15 4 04:20 MSU 40 9 60 Touchdown

01:05 4 00:48 MSU 19 8 81 Touchdown

Cook screwed up with that pick. He knew it. He was distraught over on the sidelines. Then, Sparty blocks a FG, kills a kicker (lolz), and they pro-style their way to victory.

You should definitely keep cherry-picking the parts of certain games that support your position.

Look, it's my position. It is my opinion. I just don't think that Nebraska should run a spread. That's my opinion.

I'm hearing a bunch of bluster on this thread of why I'm wrong, but no facts/evidence to back it up.

I'm a grown man, willing to admit mistakes. Folks want me to support their opinion - give me a reason other than "You're wrong."

You should definitely keep cherry-picking the parts of certain games that support your position.

Look, it's my position. It is my opinion. I just don't think that Nebraska should run a spread. That's my opinion.I'm hearing a bunch of bluster on this thread of why I'm wrong, but no facts/evidence to back it up.I'm a grown man, willing to admit mistakes. Folks want me to support their opinion - give me a reason other than "You're wrong."

I agree with you. I have always been of the opinion that it is insane for Nebraska to run a system that pretty much requires upper tier recruits to have it function at a high level and then expect to compete with those schools that don't have that issue. Find a system that fits our geographical challenges and then religiously stick to it.

Your opinion on what you think we should or shouldn't run can't be proven wrong any more than you can prove it right.

But you seem to be discounting that type of offense as valid despite plenty if not overwhelming evidence to the contrary that it can be very successful in college.

Your opinion on what you think we should or shouldn't run can't be proven wrong any more than you can prove it right.

But you seem to be discounting that type of offense as valid despite plenty if not overwhelming evidence to the contrary that it can be very successful in college.

Not so. Not my argument. My argument is that if you have the right hosses, you can run it. It is also my opinion that it takes a lot of the decisions out of the QB hands.

For example...as I type this Houston has scored something like 28 unanswered points. And Pitt has no answer right now.

They've been running it for years now...even when Summin was their head coach. It's unstoppable....only if you have the right pieces in place to run it. And, you have to have a disciplined quarterback to run it.