Where do you see Nebraska Football in five years?

NUpolo8

In five years, I see us hoping we get that sixth win so we can be toilet bowl eligible. Mike Riley would have made a fortune off the back of Nebraskans and he will chew his gum happily as he rides into a blissful and rich retirement.

We will be wondering and arguing what if we hired Tom Harman or Scott Frost or Mark Richt who will be celebrating his third ACC championship.

How about that for a picture to counteract the abundance of Kool-aid drinkers on this blog.

I don't think I know of a true Kool-aid drinker on here. The most optimistic posters post wt a conditional understanding that this experiment could very easily fall apart in year 2 or 3. After this past year, I don't think there are many "All In for Mike" posters. At best there is a 'nervous optimism' by some. I prediction above of one good year of winning the conference and getting to the playoff POB senior year, is based more on POB hype & hope than confidence in MR's coaches. That confidence will have to be earned next year now that this 'rebuilding' transition year is completed (funny how Florida, Mich's transition year did not include rebuilding) I think the benefit of the doubt is resting on POB's shoulders. Unfortunately that is a very heavy weight for a young man to carry. Let's face it, if TA starts the majority of games next year. we will not be much better off than this year. I have zero hope that he can improve - unless the coaches change and run a 'run' first pass 2nd O that allows Tommie to hurt the D wt his legs and not his arms. That is why, I'd rather POB begin his learning curve early and fast by starting next year if the hype is actually real. If the hype ends up just being hype (another dud) then we are to be the most pitied among all football fans. We'll be in one heck of a hole.

The bold needs addressed. From the 2011 recruiting cycle through the 2014 recruiting cycle, Florida per rivals had top 10 recruiting classes 75% of the time, Michigan had top 10 recruiting classes 50% of the time, and Nebraska had 0% top 10 recruiting classes. Do you suppose this had anything at all to do with rebuilding? The only team Michigan beat that is still ranked at seasons end is Northwestern. They are ranked 13th. We beat the 4th ranked team. Hoke went 11-2 his first year at Michigan.

Recruiting results will be roughly the same, though the improved facilities may help a bit.

We'll be ranging between maybe 7 and 10 wins a year. I'd be very surprised if conference championship is in the pocket.

We'll be arguing over whether a coach who wins .666 of his games, produces great student athletes and is a generally nice guy should be fired/force retired.

Maybe we'll have a new offensive coordinator (or preferably HC) who understands better how to stress defenses produce consistently winning teams.

In five years, I see us hoping we get that sixth win so we can be toilet bowl eligible. Mike Riley would have made a fortune off the back of Nebraskans and he will chew his gum happily as he rides into a blissful and rich retirement.

We will be wondering and arguing what if we hired Tom Harman or Scott Frost or Mark Richt who will be celebrating his third ACC championship.

How about that for a picture to counteract the abundance of Kool-aid drinkers on this blog.

I don't think I know of a true Kool-aid drinker on here. The most optimistic posters post wt a conditional understanding that this experiment could very easily fall apart in year 2 or 3. After this past year, I don't think there are many "All In for Mike" posters. At best there is a 'nervous optimism' by some. I prediction above of one good year of winning the conference and getting to the playoff POB senior year, is based more on POB hype & hope than confidence in MR's coaches. That confidence will have to be earned next year now that this 'rebuilding' transition year is completed (funny how Florida, Mich's transition year did not include rebuilding) I think the benefit of the doubt is resting on POB's shoulders. Unfortunately that is a very heavy weight for a young man to carry. Let's face it, if TA starts the majority of games next year. we will not be much better off than this year. I have zero hope that he can improve - unless the coaches change and run a 'run' first pass 2nd O that allows Tommie to hurt the D wt his legs and not his arms. That is why, I'd rather POB begin his learning curve early and fast by starting next year if the hype is actually real. If the hype ends up just being hype (another dud) then we are to be the most pitied among all football fans. We'll be in one heck of a hole.

The bold needs addressed. From the 2011 recruiting cycle through the 2014 recruiting cycle, Florida per rivals had top 10 recruiting classes 75% of the time, Michigan had top 10 recruiting classes 50% of the time, and Nebraska had 0% top 10 recruiting classes. Do you suppose this had anything at all to do with rebuilding? The only team Michigan beat that is still ranked at seasons end is Northwestern. They are ranked 13th. We beat the 4th ranked team. Hoke went 11-2 his first year at Michigan.

What were MSU's rankings during that period?

If you're hanging your hat on recruiting rankings, do you honestly think NU will ever register 75% of any rolling 4 year recruiting cycle in the top 10? Or even 50%?

I didn't realize MSU had a first year coach. No, we will probably never have 50-75% of a four year cycle in top 10 recruiting classes. Instead of continually rotating coaches, we need to be implementing a staff with a plan and mimicking what MSU is doing. Dantonio is in his 9th season at MSU. TO was the last coach we had that made it that long. Of the four playoff teams, all HCs have been at their respective programs at least eight years. With the exception of Solich, the coaches we let go needed to be let go. But, dang it at some time we need to pick a guy and stick with him.

I didn't realize MSU had a first year coach. No, we will probably never have 50-75% of a four year cycle in top 10 recruiting classes. Instead of continually rotating coaches, we need to be implementing a staff with a plan and mimicking what MSU is doing. Dantonio is in his 9th season at MSU. TO was the last coach we had that made it that long. Of the four playoff teams, all HCs have been at their respective programs at least eight years. With the exception of Solich, the coaches we let go needed to be let go. But, dang it at some time we need to pick a guy and stick with him.

At least we agree on it being a mistake that we fired Solich.

I disagree that NU's path to consistent success lies along the road that MSU has taken.

Because the talking point of the past few weeks has been "Bo is gone, let's move on.." (Yet inexplicably there are four threads where you can argue which Bo Pelini era player was your favorite), I thought we could all lay our bold, smoking hot, renewable energy takes on where we all see the Riley era taking us in the near to semi-far future.

I'll go first!!!!

After the 2020 we will have seen:

-zero 4+ loss seasons

-2 11+ win seasons.

-3 CCG's

-1-2 conf championships

-1 season where there's playoff discussion.

I hope your eyes aren't flash burnt by those white hot takes.

-put your uv protection on and make your takes be strong.

Hahahahahahaha really? We have the potential to drop another for a total of 8 losses. How on earth do we NOT lose 4+ next year? I love your optimism. I predict 0 CCG, and 0 conf championships and 0 playoff discussion with this current staff. 11+ wins? Nope.

I disagree that NU's path to consistent success lies along the road that MSU has taken.

What exactly is our path to consistent success? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say having four different coaches in the past 15 years isn't the correct path. For various reasons, we will not be able to recruit top 10 or probably even top 15 recruiting classes year in and year out. There are several programs that will out recruit us year in and year out.

One of the reasons we were able to keep it rolling for so long under TO was because rarely did we lose someone from the staff. We need to pick a staff and stick with them.

• Fire 1

What exactly is our path to consistent success? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say having four different coaches in the past 15 years isn't the correct path. For various reasons, we will not be able to recruit top 10 or probably even top 15 recruiting classes year in and year out. There are several programs that will out recruit us year in and year out.

One of the reasons we were able to keep it rolling for so long under TO was because rarely did we lose someone from the staff. We need to pick a staff and stick with them.

I want one coach for a long time. But he has to be the right coach.

With Riley reaching retirement age, we should just pull the trigger now on the inevitable.

I hate that we dismantled (twice) what Osborne built. I'd like to see frost return at this point. I'd rather "suffer" through his "on the job training" than continue down this true road to averageness.

Because you know how there are those signs "last exist before bridge"? I feel like one is coming up during the next season or so.

With Riley reaching retirement age, we should just pull the trigger now on the inevitable.

I hate that we dismantled (twice) what Osborne built. I'd like to see frost return at this point. I'd rather "suffer" through his "on the job training" than continue down this true road to averageness.

Because you know how there are those signs "last exist before bridge"? I feel like one is coming up during the next season or so.

I'd rather suffer through OJT with a young and upcoming coach as opposed to suffering through OJT with an experienced staff who is on a downward trajectory.

What was dismantled twice?? You really lost me there.

100% agree that part of our winning ways were due to the same stable staff. Another was we ran a different style of offense where we were not competing against other schools for the best recruits. We did not need the best QB or receivers. No matter what though, you do need stars on both lines... What ever happened to the local pipeline of O-line talent?

What was dismantled twice?? You really lost me there.

h64B06720_zps96e60b36.jpg