When Life was Magical

I've talked to Taylor several times. He was never anything but pleasant, down-to-earth and engaging.

I have a really, REALLY hard time believing Shatel's story about Martinez snubbing his daughter as Shatel describes it. I've watched Taylor give autographs before, and he was not stingy with his time. I've watched him go out of his way to make sure he treated fans right.

I've also watched Shatel spew garbage from his bully pulpit at the OWH for umpteen years. When it comes to credibility, I'll take Taylor Martinez over Tom Shatel eight days a week.

I'm not a scientist, but I think there's only 7 days in a week.

When I met him he just seemed really shy. So from my perspective I might understand Shatel mistaking that shyness as "snubbing" her or whatever. Although, this is my first time hearing about this. I'm not ruling out the possibility he (Shatel) was just talking out his ass.

Yo bro, you sure about them days of the week?

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/how-many-days-are-in-a-week-internet-steakheads-go-to-1677492703

The autograph story is Shatel being Shatel.

Here's his description of that flight from a piece written on 11/25/13:

This happened last June, as my family and I were flying back from San Diego. We boarded a Southwest plane in Phoenix for Omaha and guess who had the passengers buzzing. Martinez walked to a seat in the back, armed with head phones and a video game. To my daughters, this was their first up-close glimpse of a celebrity, a Nebraska rock star. My oldest wanted to go back and get his autograph. She was told by the flight attendant that Martinez wasn't to be disturbed.

She walked back for a peek anyway. She later reported that Martinez was playing “Angry Birds.”

And here's his description of that same flight from a piece written on 7/24/13:

Back in early June, Martinez was on my family's flight back to Omaha from California. The entire plane buzzed — including my three daughters — as No. 3 walked on.

Most people left Martinez alone, but when he was approached, he was cordial and polite.

Just like the time recently when Martinez went shopping at the mall in Lincoln and ended up signing autographs for well over an hour.

• Fire 2

Was this thread created solely so you could crack on the personal life of Taylor Martinez?

No not really. I am glad he and Bo are gone.

I doubt Riley would ever force a guy like him on Nebraska for four years. The fact he is not even close to pro football says a little why NU was so erratic. The fact that our former QBs do not get a sniff of the NFL is one reason we are also rans in the top 10.

Was this thread created solely so you could crack on the personal life of Taylor Martinez?

No not really. I am glad he and Bo are gone.

I doubt Riley would ever force a guy like him on Nebraska for four years. The fact he is not even close to pro football says a little why NU was so erratic. The fact that our former QBs do not get a sniff of the NFL is one reason we are also rans in the top 10.

18io8jbx3iyr9gif.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a dumb question. (Here we go!)

Someone at my office asked me: "Did Martinez get drafted by someone or something?"

I immediately answered:

"He went undrafted, but signed with the Eagles after the draft. But he never had a chance since he failed his physical, his bones were still broken..."

But then I sort of had an epiphany of sorts...

So the Eagles ended up being stuck with Mark Sanchez for the rest of the season. They did pretty good despite this fact, and I find myself crediting Chip Kelly's system for that success. They really missed the playoffs because of Sanchez.

Does anyone think, judging by this season went, injury to Folz, that Taylor may have had at least a position to play some valuable snaps as QB (wildcat QB, as everyone would have called it) to run some zone option plays for Sanchez? I think Sanchez still takes most of the snaps, but Taylor becomes quite the threat running the ZR.

Or am I just dreaming for T-Magic (the OP started calling him Magic...)? I know we make fun of him, and all, but I still believe the kid had some ability at the QB position, not the best, but maybe a bit better at running the system than Sanchez?

the kid is a great kid, I have been around him some. He is polite, quiet, and very introverted it seemed to me. Humble beyond what anyone would expect from any power 5 QB.

Gave everything he had for this program, maybe even a future in the NFL. Should not have played in half the game he played, crippled and hurting, but still took the hits, got back up and did it again. never a negative word, just nose to the grindstone, get it done at all cost.

For those that have never fought in combat, trust is a very important thing. I would gladly go into combat with this kid. It is so sad there is so much hate for a kid that loves Nebraska so much.

Truly the greatest college football fans on earth.

• Fire 4

Good for him he was a great player who set quite a few records at Nebraska. Good to hear he has formed his own company and is making video game apps. I think we lose perspective of the value of getting an education and becoming a good citizen as opposed to being an NFL player. Sounds like Taylor Martinez is becoming successful off the Football field. That's what it's all about it.!!!!!

Don't worry skersfan the majority need a scapegoat to blame. Taylor was the perfect scapegoat. Currently it's Bo and his former staff and how none of them had any knowledge. This is usually coming from a core of posters that are all mushy over our new coaches, They don't want to talk about the 29-33 record over the last five years in the Pac 12. They don't want to talk about losing 8 out of the last 9 PAC 12 conference games. But if you're a Husker fan who wants to bash on Taylor Martinez you have no football knowledge or any type of knowledge regarding athletic ability. I hope his foot heals up because with that type of speed he has a shot at playing in the NFL not as a QB. But like I stated earlier he has a degree, his own business and he's stayed out of trouble. I call that a success.

Don't worry skersfan the majority need a scapegoat to blame...

Currently it's Bo and his former staff and how none of them had any knowledge.

So... the scapegoat for the football team's performance is the head coach.

I'm not sure you know what a scapegoat is.

Go team? I like mike riley

Don't worry skersfan the majority need a scapegoat to blame...

Currently it's Bo and his former staff and how none of them had any knowledge.

So... the scapegoat for the football team's performance is the head coach.

I'm not sure you know what a scapegoat is.

he dont like mike riley cuz riley doesnt have a great record at oregon st. But his name is NWHuskerfan so were supposed to assume hes from Oregon and knows sooo much more about it than everyone else.