Protestors Shut Down Freeway; Ambulance Carrying Seriously Injured Forced To Detour

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/USA-Update/2015/0115/Activists-shut-down-Boston-area-highway-Protests-too-reckless

I found it hypocritical that the mostly white women, and some men, who are protesting "white supremacy", as they put it, have the time to take off work and spend a day protesting when many black and brown people cannot afford to take off work and chain themselves together in the middle of a freeway. White privilege for liberals.

• Fire 1

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/USA-Update/2015/0115/Activists-shut-down-Boston-area-highway-Protests-too-reckless

I found it hypocritical that the mostly white women, and some men, who are protesting "white supremacy", as they put it, have the time to take off work and spend a day protesting when many black and brown people cannot afford to take off work and chain themselves together in the middle of a freeway. White privilege for liberals.

What makes you find it hypocritical?

Misguided and poor methodology possibly, sure, but I don't see the hypocrisy. The definition of privilege means you have something that others don't - if it's privilege at the expense of oppression of others, then you have a moral obligation to use your privilege towards the end of equality.

• Fire 2

if it's privilege at the expense of oppression of others, then you have a moral obligation to use your privilege towards the end of equality.

Yes, how dare they do something - however ineptly executed - to try to help those less privileged than them? They should just sit back and be uselessly elite so we can continue to mock them in conformation with our worldview.

It totally sucks when someone we want to crap on does something that doesn't fit my stereotype. People just need to behave as the caricature I need them to be.

• Fire 2

This country will continue to fail while lines like this still exist.

This country will continue to fail while lines like this still exist.

What can I say? Sometimes the truth hurts.

Actually as long as terms like white privilege exist, this country will continue to fail

Explain.

And, just to be fair, I'll explain my rationale. Anytime we have to label add the qualifier liberal or conservative, left or right, dem or pub, and so on, we drive a stake between groups of people who should be working together to better the country. A country that thrives is good for everyone. The impoverished have more opportunity and yes even the wealthy benefit.

Qualifying statements creates an "us vs them" mentality that we know, due to the previous head man for the Huskers, produces a toxic, unsuccessful atmosphere.

• Fire 1

Actually as long as terms like white privilege exist, this country will continue to fail

Explain.

And, just to be fair, I'll explain my rationale. Anytime we have to label add the qualifier liberal or conservative, left or right, dem or pub, and so on, we drive a stake between groups of people who should be working together to better the country. A country that thrives is good for everyone. The impoverished have more opportunity and yes even the wealthy benefit.

Qualifying statements creates an "us vs them" mentality that we know, due to the previous head man for the Huskers, produces a toxic, unsuccessful atmosphere.

I would argue using the phrase "white privilege" drives a stake between people.

Because the term represents an unequal balance in our country, right?

I would argue that white privilege as an actual thing, rather than words, drives a stake between people.

• Fire 1

Because the term represents an unequal balance in our country, right?

I would argue that white privilege as an actual thing, rather than words, drives a stake between people.

yep