do you think neals dad overreacted?

My question is, if he is committed to N then why is Michigan even in his home...???

Dont do this.

He's a 17 year old. And it's a huge decision. And the staff he committed to is no longer here. There's nothing wrong with the "looking around" in order to insure youre making the right choice.

He tweeted about Notre Dame, USC and had an unofficial to Rutgers well before pelini was let go..??

My question is, if he is committed to N then why is Michigan even in his home...???

Dont do this.

He's a 17 year old. And it's a huge decision. And the staff he committed to is no longer here. There's nothing wrong with the "looking around" in order to insure youre making the right choice.

He tweeted about Notre Dame, USC and had an unofficial to Rutgers well before pelini was let go..??

Dude, get over it and go listen to his interview. Also, get over it.

When a very old white guy is going into a minority family house, and makes a very snobbish remark about grades, it's never going to come off well.

I mean, could he not say something like ..

"At Michigan, we take academics very seriously. To give you an idea of how hard it is to get into Michigan, only X percent (because I don't know the exact amount) of out of state applicants even get in every year. You have the opportunity to be with a select few individuals to get to enjoy Michigan academics."

I'm not a salesman, so it can definitely even be said better than I did. But there are so many ways Mattison could have went, but instead came off like a *insert other word for jerk here* ..

That statement wouldn't have gone over well either. If a kid is trying to get into college and his grades won't meet your academic requirements for enrollment, don't waste a trip just to get a warm body on the roster.

Not unless you're willing to help him get to where he wants to go.

Dont do this.

Ok.

So is it no ok for him to explore and make sure he's making the right choice?

Also, just cuz he's from Omaha doesnt mean he's got this ungodly tie to the Nebraska program. He lived in Texas a lot of his life. His dad went to Purdue I believe it's been said. Honestly, he's got no more ties to Nebraska than anyone else already in the program.

Getting anxious over the decision-making process of where to play college football and get your education of a 17-18 year old is borderline creepy.

Lastly, it's not against any rules to look around while "committed (whatever the hell that even means anyway). Dont blame the player. Dont blame the coaches. Blame the joke of a system. And dont forget, we got a few pretty talented young guys on the docket we're tryin to flip from other schools as we speak that we're drooling over. So this things goes both ways. But some only want to embrace it when it's convenient for us.

I think a couple of reporters covering Nebraska have mentioned this, but this was always going to be a total recruitment battle for the new staff. They alluded to the way the last staff recruited, and there's maybe some of that, but it's broadly true with any change in coaching staffs. You got to re recruit those guys again. A few of the Husker commits took the view of "Nebraska will always be Nebraska", but can't blame any of them for completely identifying Nebraska with Bo Pelini, and when that's shattered, well...

Dont do this.

Dude, get over it and go listen to his interview. Also, get over it.

"dude" it was a question, maybe you should get over the need to over react..!!

Ok.

Also, just cuz he's from Omaha doesnt mean he's got this ungodly tie to the Nebraska program. He lived in Texas a lot of his life. His dad went to Purdue I believe it's been said. Honestly, he's got no more ties to Nebraska than anyone else already in the program.

Getting anxious over the decision-making process of where to play college football and get your education of a 17-18 year old is borderline creepy.

Lastly, it's not against any rules to look around while "committed (whatever the hell that even means anyway). Dont blame the player. Dont blame the coaches. Blame the joke of a system. And dont forget, we got a few pretty talented young guys on the docket we're tryin to flip from other schools as we speak that we're drooling over. So this things goes both ways. But some only want to embrace it when it's convenient for us.

I think we're all missing the big picture here of WHAT was said, and WHO said it....LOL.....

So, a man with ties to Michigan....

Played at Michigan.....

Coaches AT Michigan.....

Comes to the home of a kid who they want to flip TO Michigan.....

Tells the kid, basically, "Hey, if you wanna come here, you gotta be smarter to get in."

Maybe the coach should check his facts, huh?

IN the B1G.....by rank....graduation rates for FOOTBALL players by team:

(2004 - 2007)

Northwestern Football 97%

Penn State Football 87%

Nebraska Football 81%

Ohio State Football 78%

Indiana Football 72%

Illinois Football 72%

Purdue Football 71%

Minnesota Football 71%

Wisconsin Football 69%

Michigan Football 69%

Michigan State Football 69%

Look at who is 2nd to last....

Maybe the coach should think through what he's going to say to players about academics. Instead of saying how smart you have to be to come play there - when your school ranks in the bottom half of the conference in graduating football players - why not sell the academics another way?

EDIT:

Not to mention that the president of the school just said last year that he was concerned about academics in the athletic department, and that it would play a part in who the next AD was.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2014/11/12/u-m-schlissel-brady-hoke-remarks/18901767/

• Fire 1

Ok.

I think we're all missing the big picture here of WHAT was said, and WHO said it....LOL.....

So, a man with ties to Michigan....

Played at Michigan.....

Coaches AT Michigan.....

Comes to the home of a kid who they want to flip TO Michigan.....

Tells the kid, basically, "Hey, if you wanna come here, you gotta be smarter to get in."

Maybe the coach should check his facts, huh?

IN the B1G.....by rank....graduation rates for FOOTBALL players by team:

(2004 - 2007)

Northwestern Football 97%

Penn State Football 87%

Nebraska Football 81%

Ohio State Football 78%

Indiana Football 72%

Illinois Football 72%

Purdue Football 71%

Minnesota Football 71%

Wisconsin Football 69%

Michigan Football 69%

Michigan State Football 69%

Look at who is 2nd to last....

Maybe the coach should think through what he's going to say to players about academics. Instead of saying how smart you have to be to come play there - when your school ranks in the bottom half of the conference in graduating football players - why not sell the academics another way?

That's some good research. But with all due respect, football player graduation rates really have nothing to do with the academic and admission standards of those not receiving athletic scholarships.

But I agree, the approach by Mattison is those were the exact words are rather mind boggling. Personally, I understand the message he's trying to send, but he just didnt pick the right words.

And I said this earlier in tthis thread and still feel it. I think some of us are overreacting to the fathers alledged overreaction. While he talked about how it went down, I seriously doubt it was as kneejerk and classless (i guess you would say?) as what theyre making it sound.

Dont do this.

Ok.

First, who said anything about a tie to Nebraska because he lives here..?? Second, its GREAT to look around and make informative decisions, but lets look at the word commitment...I say committing THEN looking seems a bit backwards... Third AND MOST IMPORTANT, asking a single question on a message board for most sane people would not constitute "anxiety" and to call someone "creepy" for it make me wonder about your state of mind.. but hey, thanks for reading SOOOOOOOO much into my single post

That's some good research. But with all due respect, football player graduation rates really have nothing to do with the academic and admission standards of those not receiving athletic scholarships.

But I agree, the approach by Mattison is those were the exact words are rather mind boggling. Personally, I understand the message he's trying to send, but he just didnt pick the right words.

And I said this earlier in tthis thread and still feel it. I think some of us are overreacting to the fathers alledged overreaction. While he talked about how it went down, I seriously doubt it was as kneejerk and classless (i guess you would say?) as what theyre making it sound.

No, no doubt that the academic and admission standards don't have to do with each other. That being said - it does play a part in the living room of a young man's parents (as obviously demonstrated by Neal).

I'd agree that some of this is media hype as well. I saw one article that said that they 'threw him out of the house'.....had to LOL at that one.

I think after Mattison left, they sat down, asked what he thought, he may or may not have thought about this (cause kids in this day and age are quite naïve about prejudice today and can't identify it as openly), and they made a decision about his future.

Do I think Mattison did it intentionally? No, not for a second. He could have worded some things differently, yes. But it shows how out of touch he is with the way you deal with minorities today as well.

It is worth noting that Dad was doing what dad's should do, considering his son's life without football, the statistical liklihood of a professional career being extremely low.

Mattison may have been ham-handed and condescending, but it still leaves the fact that Michigan was able to enter the picture because it could offer signficantly better education and career networking than UNL.

It's not quite as easy as counting up the academic All-Americans. Academic reputations go a lot deeper than that, unfairly or not. Perhaps the single biggest reason for joining the Big 10 was to access its pipleline to scientific/medical/engineering funding from major corporations. Maybe we'll start seeing a little benefit from that.