Rand Paul is a douchebag

Part of this has been fostered by the right's general distrust of science. The "They have a financial interest in it!" nonsense that we see in global warming is the same BS you see from some anti-vaxxer conspiracy theorists. Also, no more with the phrase "anti-vaxxer" They are quite clearly "pro-disease".

That might be part of it. I think for a lot of parents, it is just something to blame.

One parent of an autistic child I know had multiple graduate & doctoral degrees in human biology/medical science. He believed in the vaccine cause to the point he lost his job at a pharma company AND was sued by his former employer. In his mind, it was vaccines & their evil that caused ALL of this misery for his family & autistic child. Very smart, very talented, highly educated but ultimately not rational. This isn't a blanket statement for all, only an example of how this type of idea crosses so many social/cultural/educational/income/intelligence boundaries

I find the idea of pumping babies, who have just been born, full of drugs unsettling. At the end of the day, they are drugs, whether you want to admit it or not. A baby's immune system is so weak...I guess I just have a problem flooding it with drugs.

I agree in part. What is unfortunate is that so many parents never get the vaccination for their kids that we NEED to vaccinate babies. If everyone got vaccinated, we could wait a year or even more to get babies their vaccines. But people are f'ing stupid, so we can't.

• Fire 1

I guess history does repeat itself.. This was on the front page of reddit today. Apparently it's from the 40's.

I guess it shouldn't surprise me that this sort of stuff, namely willful ignorance, can be timeless

BZQgGq0.jpg

Here is a piece from a guy who's daughter died from Measles before vaccines were common, I guess

https://roalddahl.com/roald-dahl/timeline/1960s/november-1962

• Fire 1

I find the idea of pumping babies, who have just been born, full of drugs unsettling. At the end of the day, they are drugs, whether you want to admit it or not. A baby's immune system is so weak...I guess I just have a problem flooding it with drugs.

From what I understand, the idea behind vaccines is to teach your immune system how to fight these diseases. Working on that premise, it's actually beneficial for the immune system, no?

That and I'm not sure using the term drug and vaccine interchangeably is all that responsible. They have different implied meanings.

• Fire 3

From what I understand, the idea behind vaccines is to teach your immune system how to fight these diseases. Working on that premise, it's actually beneficial for the immune system, no?

That and I'm not sure using the term drug and vaccine interchangeably is all that responsible. They have different implied meanings.

DaveH - Thank you! I was wondering if anyone else would catch that. :)

Part of the problem is also the lack of information about what is actually causing autism. There have been a number of studies put out about the link between vitamin D deficiencies and autism but for some reason they aren't making their way into the general public.

And there are new studies with links between Glyphosate and autism. And just off the bad the correlation between that chemical's entry into the market and the rise of autism makes a better argument than vaccinations. Now the Monsanto monster is going to try to keep more of those from being investigated, as that might well end them.

Dang. I can tell True is pretty fired up about this particular issue. Perhaps because it's such a short walk from discussing vaccination risks to parental decision making and responsibility. I get the feeling the latter is what you're more vested in.

Anyway, if there's confusion and Rand Paul DOES have some questions regarding science, he could always ask his buddy in charge of science, that Ted Cruz fella...

Yea. Like I said, I vaccinated my own two kids so my stance is pretty clear. Just trying to see all sides of it.

The issue is that THERE ARE NOT SIDES to this. This is no different than if someone wanted to come out and argue about the Sun revolving around the Earth. Vaccinations work, they work very, very well. People who have any other(idiotic) opinion are the children of vaccinations. The media is committing a travesty by giving these halfwits a pulpit. They grew up where the greatest fear of a childhood disease was chickenpox, which honestly was mostly an annoyance to most people. History is so poorly taught that people have of idea of the horrors these diseases subjected people to. These preventable diseases are the top reason why historical life expectancy rates were so low. When they show eras where the average was 35, this did not mean adults died by 35. 50s and 60s were going to be very common. But getting to adulthood was a rough road. Most people expected to have multiple children die of all the things we vaccinate for now. Its a large reason why people had 5 and 6 kids, that way you could have 3 become adults.

• Fire 2

Part of the problem is also the lack of information about what is actually causing autism. There have been a number of studies put out about the link between vitamin D deficiencies and autism but for some reason they aren't making their way into the general public.

Autism Spectrum Disorder is such a broad category of neurodevelopmental disorders finding a cause or causes is difficult. You can correlate it to anything and everything if you have a large enough data set. ASD has become a catch-all for developmental disorders not fitting another category. Clinically, the industry needs to continue to better define autism and the other Neurodevelopmental conditions.

The Vitamin D "possible link" being researched is conjecture. It is based on possible higher incidence in areas with lower level of sunshine (cloudy days) or times of year (spring/fall) when sunshine is less. In most of these areas, humidity increases during those times as well. Molds/spores/fungus propagate during these conditions. Could it be a mold or fungus causing it? Who knows but the research just started and is a hypothesis the media is selling irresponsibly.

The strongest support for the Vitamin D link was a study where a few dozen children diagnosed autistic had their vitamin D levels compared to a smaller number of children diagnosed NOT autistic. Something like 1/3 (or slightly more) of the autistic children had a vitamin D deficiency where none of the non-autistic children tested were vitamin D deficient.

Is it possible the children diagnosed autistic spent less time in the sun? Is it a stretch for an autistic child to NOT be allowed outside by him/herself and the caregivers keep the child indoors more than is healthy for the child? I don't know but these Dr's know that Sun exposure affects vitamin D levels and did not quantify/compare time spent outside between the groups....

• Fire 1

And there are new studies with links between Glyphosate and autism. And just off the bad the correlation between that chemical's entry into the market and the rise of autism makes a better argument than vaccinations. Now the Monsanto monster is going to try to keep more of those from being investigated, as that might well end them.

Monsanto will never be ended. They have too much money, and money is all that matters. If there were ever lawsuits they'd win them. If scientists found out Monsanto was killing all the bees, they'd just buy off those scientists. Oh wait, that already happened.

Monsanto will never be ended. They have too much money, and money is all that matters. If there were ever lawsuits they'd win them. If scientists found out Monsanto was killing all the bees, they'd just buy off those scientists. Oh wait, that already happened.

And a very large part of their empire right now is built around Glyphosate (Roundup) both the seeds and the chemical. Now say that gets outlawed, that money all drys up. Then the class action lawsuits start. If the link is proven, the billions and billions in settlements would do damage beyond belief. We are talking worse than Asbestos or Tobacco settlements. As the stock price tanks, the company sinks.

And a very large part of their empire right now is built around Glyphosate (Roundup) both the seeds and the chemical. Now say that gets outlawed, that money all drys up. Then the class action lawsuits start. If the link is proven, the billions and billions in settlements would do damage beyond belief. We are talking worse than Asbestos or Tobacco settlements. As the stock price tanks, the company sinks.

They'll stop it from getting outlawed. All they have to do is pay off the politicians/judges. But it won't even get that far. They'll pay off the people researching it first.

They'll stop it from getting outlawed. All they have to do is pay off the politicians/judges. But it won't even get that far. They'll pay off the people researching it first.

Not everyone has a price. If I remember right, the lead on this is a professor from MIT. Politicians will cave if a link is found. The "Wont's someone think of the children" angle will trump a company the public has a very bad view of. Politicians tend to be worried about getting reelected beyond all else.