Story Time with Joe Ganz

Joe Ganz has joined the OWH's online radio show The Bottom Line, as a co-host. Yesterday, he had a funny story about the real reason why Josh Freeman de-committed from NU and went to Kansas State.

Freeman was on his recruiting visit early in the season in 2006. Joe Ganz got in a game during mop-up duty and ended up throwing a TD pass. Later that night, Ganz, Nate Swift, and their housemates hosted a party at their house. Freeman and his dad showed up at this party and were just hanging out. The guys were watching highlights from the Lincoln TV station, and the TD pass by Ganz was shown. Freeman made a comment like "well, that guy won't be throwing any more TD's when I show up here". Ganz heard it, might have been a little drunk, and flipped out. He got in Freeman's face and was ready to knock him out. Freeman was eventually told to leave the party, and later the next week he changed his commitment to Kansas State.

I am not sure how much Ganz will be on TBL going forward, maybe 2-3 days a week. I think these stories are funny, and show that these guys are normal college kids, outside of playing football.

• Fire 7

Joe Ganz has joined the OWH's online radio show The Bottom Line, as a co-host. Yesterday, he had a funny story about the real reason why Josh Freeman de-committed from NU and went to Kansas State.

Freeman was on his recruiting visit early in the season in 2006. Joe Ganz got in a game during mop-up duty and ended up throwing a TD pass. Later that night, Ganz, Nate Swift, and their housemates hosted a party at their house. Freeman and his dad showed up at this party and were just hanging out. The guys were watching highlights from the Lincoln TV station, and the TD pass by Ganz was shown. Freeman made a comment like "well, that guy won't be throwing any more TD's when I show up here". Ganz heard it, might have been a little drunk, and flipped out. He got in Freeman's face and was ready to knock him out. Freeman was eventually told to leave the party, and later the next week he changed his commitment to Kansas State.

I am not sure how much Ganz will be on TBL going forward, maybe 2-3 days a week. I think these stories are funny, and show that these guys are normal college kids, outside of playing football.

Yes, because that's the kind of stuff we never hear about. Guys being drunk idiots at off campus parties.

So, Joe personally ran off a highly touted recruit at his position who would go on to become a 1st round NFL quarterback, because he was drunk and mad?

Huh. But we did get serve extremely enjoyable butt-kickings to Freeman and the Wildcats while he was there, so ...

Freeman was being an ass to the guy who's house he was at. Do you usually go into someone's house and tell the guy he sucks and you are way better than he is?

• Fire 6

Freeman was being an ass to the guy who's house he was at. Do you usually go into someone's house and tell the guy he sucks and you are way better than he is?

Yeah, I guess so, but he probably had no idea who Ganz was. And Ganz could have said "Oh yeah? Good luck beating me out" instead of going loco.

Sorry for getting sidetracked. Ganz fits in very well with this radio program. He definitely tells some good stories.

• Fire 1

I've told this before, but it's always been an interesting personal anecdotal experience.

After the (I think) Oklahoma State game in 2007, when the program was in full-blown meltdown mode, I was at a party in Lincoln where Joe and a handful of other offensive players showed up. They were all wearing shirts that said, "Got Ganz?"

Not that that means anything for sure or that I'm implying anything. But it was interesting.

Because 19 year old kids rarely have good heads on them. Especially that far away from home.

some of you guys....sheesh, who cares how Ganz reacted. Look at the situation. Freeman (in HS) and his DAD showed up to the party? That's more concerning than how Ganz acted.

I am pretty sure Freeman was taken there by the player that was hosting him that weekend. I think it's pretty normal for those guys to go to parties off-campus. Now, it's a little odd that his dad didn't Josh just hang out with other players that night, but maybe he was just making sure Josh didn't get into any trouble.

I've told this before, but it's always been an interesting personal anecdotal experience.

After the (I think) Oklahoma State game in 2007, when the program was in full-blown meltdown mode, I was at a party in Lincoln where Joe and a handful of other offensive players showed up. They were all wearing shirts that said, "Got Ganz?"

Not that that means anything for sure or that I'm implying anything. But it was interesting.

Ganz had an air of confidence that bordered on cockiness, but I think you need that from a QB and a team leader.