Big Ten Considering Ineligibility for Freshman

cg_8

Also, you know that coaches in the southern part of the country are going to use this for negative recruiting beginning this year, even though there is no way this goes through.

"You know that Nebraska/Wisconsin/Michigan are pushing to get freshmen ineligible for their 1st year. You don't want to go there and then have the rules changed and have to sit out a year..."

I don't think it will happen, but it's maybe not as stupid as it sounds. How many players would have been better served if they had been required to take a redshirt? Not just as football players.

And of course, there are a number of true freshman contributors. If they had to wait a year, and perhaps more seasoned and better-adjusted redshirted guys from the previous class had to play in their stead, would teams be that much worse off?

Also, for football, it does not affect a guy's time-to-pros. It's still three years.

I don't think it will happen, but it's maybe not as stupid as it sounds. How many players would have been better served if they had been required to take a redshirt? Not just as football players.

And of course, there are a number of true freshman contributors. If they had to wait a year, and perhaps more seasoned and better-adjusted redshirted guys from the previous class had to play in their stead, would teams be that much worse off?

Also, for football, it does not affect a guy's time-to-pros. It's still three years.

Maybe but it would have to be a NCAA wide rule. Not a conference by conference thing. No freshman can play right away in the B1G will push them to the S$C and ACC in my opinion.

I don't think it will happen, but it's maybe not as stupid as it sounds. How many players would have been better served if they had been required to take a redshirt? Not just as football players.And of course, there are a number of true freshman contributors. If they had to wait a year, and perhaps more seasoned and better-adjusted redshirted guys from the previous class had to play in their stead, would teams be that much worse off?Also, for football, it does not affect a guy's time-to-pros. It's still three years.

With the nature of the business, it's stupid. Incredibly. Honestly, I'm not so sure not having something to work for (getting on the field) in that first year that you wouldn't see an increase in the amount of kids getting in trouble off the field, as they know they're not going to get a shot anyway.

So I read the whole article and I have yet to see the explanation as to the reasoning for wanting the change?

You don't just propose things like this, or changes to any system, unless you have evidence of the current system failing.

So is there a problem right now with freshman failing to adjust to college life? What are the issues they aren't overcoming? Are graduation rates down? If so, is it a direct result of their inability to adjust during their freshman year? Why is it not improving through the other three years?

Either this is a poorly written article once again by ESPN, or this is a half baked idea by a commissioner who seems to be intent on rocking the boat without even justifying a reason to do so?

• Fire 1

I don't know............. How many?