The problem with this country is ... (fill in the blank)

For me the biggest problem politically is that nothing gets done because the far right and far left have too much control and are unwilling to compromise. I know most here think it is the far right, but it is both sides. There is no middle ground on anything. So nothing gets done.

This is America, we don't have a far left or a far right.

We have two ideologically similar parties who are pitted against each other and they've proven quite good at perpetuating this "slugging it out".

The whiny PR folks. I'm so tired of this is offensive or that is offensive BS. MERRY F'N CHRISTMAS for Christ sake, not happy holidays.

Then perhaps Christians should remember the true reason for the season and save Merry Christmas for Jesus' birthday, and not the awesome amalgam of Viking, Druid, and Roman holiday celebrations and symbolism that was co-opted for modern day "Christmas"? :dunno

Still doesn't make the term offensive.

No, just ill-timed and willfully ignorant is all.

And? It's not an offensive statement

The whiny PR folks. I'm so tired of this is offensive or that is offensive BS. MERRY F'N CHRISTMAS for Christ sake, not happy holidays.

Then perhaps Christians should remember the true reason for the season and save Merry Christmas for Jesus' birthday, and not the awesome amalgam of Viking, Druid, and Roman holiday celebrations and symbolism that was co-opted for modern day "Christmas"? :dunno

You have yourself a Merry Christmas Victor. Tough cookies if you prefer "holiday season", I say Merry Christmas because I don't really care about Hannakah, Kwanza, or any other mid to late December happenings. And it's a frigging Christmas tree too. Not having any of this holiday tree/bush crap. Deal with it.

You have yourself a Merry Christmas Victor. Tough cookies if you prefer "holiday season", I say Merry Christmas because I don't really care about Hannakah, Kwanza, or any other mid to late December happenings. And it's a frigging Christmas tree too. Not having any of this holiday tree/bush crap. Deal with it.

I have a holiday tree and send out holiday cards. Deal with it ;)

Touche. That doesn't bother me. I just don't like being told that Merry Christmas isn't politically correct. If I want to convey Merry Christmas to somebody, that's what I'm gonna do. If you prefer to say happy holidays or call your tree some f'd up name like "holiday tree" that's your business ;-)

Touche. That doesn't bother me. I just don't like being told that Merry Christmas isn't politically correct. If I want to convey Merry Christmas to somebody, that's what I'm gonna do. If you prefer to say happy holidays or call your tree some f'd up name like "holiday tree" that's your business ;-)

In all seriousness, I think the backlash is coming from people like Fox News, who are out to make some sort of war on Christmas into a news story. It's good for business. No one is telling you not to say Merry Christmas (or if they are, they are a very small minority). What is happening, is businesses and public sector agencies are trying to be inclusive and are using the phrase happy holidays to hit all the season's participants. This pisses off Fox News, because JESUS AND 'MURICA, so they are making something up about people being forced to say happy holidays. But that just isn't the case. People are choosing to say Happy Holidays and they want people to be forced to say Merry Christmas.

• Fire 1

In all seriousness, I think the backlash is coming from people like Fox News, who are out to make some sort of war on Christmas into a news story. It's good for business. No one is telling you not to say Merry Christmas (or if they are, they are a very small minority). What is happening, is businesses and public sector agencies are trying to be inclusive and are using the phrase happy holidays to hit all the season's participants. This pisses off Fox News, because JESUS AND 'MURICA, so they are making something up about people being forced to say happy holidays. But that just isn't the case. People are choosing to say Happy Holidays and they want people to be forced to say Merry Christmas.

I knew it was a Fox News conspiracy. :ahhhhhhhh

I knew it was a Fox News conspiracy. :ahhhhhhhh

It really is.

I honestly don't understand why anyone is offended by any of the "Merry Christmas", "Happy Hollidays", Happy Chanukah, Merry Kwanzaa, or what ever Holiday someone celebrates. If a jewish person wishes me a Happy Chanukah, its simply a friendly gesture where they are conveying that on their religious holiday, they hope I have a nice day. They aren't trying to indoctrinate me in their religion. Simple as that. I really don't care what holiday you celebrate. I'm just delighted you wished me a good day on that date.

What I do get really sick and tired of is people who think THEY know more than anyone else what should be said and celebrated. That goes all the way from atheists who act like they get so offended if they have to experience something from the Christian religion to Christians who are offended by someone saying "Happy Holidays" and all the way to people who try to "educate" Christians into claiming THEIR Christmas is the real Christmas and it has nothing to do with Christianity.

Everyone involved in this entire issue is irritating as hell.

And....to take this full circle....this entire issue is just one prime example of a major issue this country has in that everyone thinks THEY know everything and anyone who doesn't think the same way they do is either stupid, horrible, ignorant or just plain evil. And, they are offended if anyone even tries to express something different and the public should get involved because nobody should ever be offended.

• Fire 1

I honestly don't understand why anyone is offended by any of the "Merry Christmas", "Happy Hollidays", Happy Chanukah, Merry Kwanzaa, or what ever Holiday someone celebrates. If a jewish person wishes me a Happy Chanukah, its simply a friendly gesture where they are conveying that on their religious holiday, they hope I have a nice day. They aren't trying to indoctrinate me in their religion. Simple as that. I really don't care what holiday you celebrate. I'm just delighted you wished me a good day on that date.

What I do get really sick and tired of is people who think THEY know more than anyone else what should be said and celebrated. That goes all the way from atheists who act like they get so offended if they have to experience something from the Christian religion to Christians who are offended by someone saying "Happy Holidays" and all the way to people who try to "educate" Christians into claiming THEIR Christmas is the real Christmas and it has nothing to do with Christianity.

And....to take this full circle....this entire issue is just one prime example of a major issue this country has in that everyone thinks THEY know everything and anyone who doesn't think the same way they do is either stupid, horrible, ignorant or just plain evil. And, they are offended if anyone even tries to express something different and the public should get involved because nobody should ever be offended.

great post +1 chuckleshuffle

Well you don't know crap and I do so you're wrong and that pisses me off. :P

I actually have no problem whatsoever with people wishing me happy holidays, happy Chanukah, or whatever either. It only bothers me when people seem to take offense to Merry Christmas or when retailers seem to go beyond being all inclusive with their happy holidays and start trying to purge any and all mention of Christmas. I realize that Christmas is really about the birth of Christ and not some steroid fueled shopping season but, it annoys me a bit when retailers bite the hand that is feeding their sales. We don't have a very big population of people who would celebrate Chanukah or Kwanzaa around here but Target (for example) sure does seem to act like any reference to Christmas needs to be sanitized from the shopping experience. And who knows, maybe that would be for the best, the season has gotten WAY too commercialized anyway. IDK, maybe it's just that darned Fox News (that I haven't watched in 3 years....).

buddy_christ.jpg