The problem with this country is ... (fill in the blank)

I don't think it's that, I think maybe it's just a push to get big public proclamations to be more encompassing of eeeeeverything going on that time of year - and there's a lot. I think the perception that it's because people are offended by Christmas is off base, but maybe I'm the wrong one here. I mean, you still see giant Christmas trees and Santas everywhere, plenty of room for everything. But given that there *is* *everything*, doesn't it make sense to refer to it as not solely "Christmas" season, for example?

That moderate thought, working for the greater good, and cooperation and respect in spite of differences are now anathema to the political process.

Got to agree with this :thumbs Maybe all of us on huskerboard should lead the way and take over govt

I can understand that one. It's not like anyone is being stopped from celebrating Christmas, but for the mass public, it's an entire holiday season with a variety of different holidays going on at the same time. Plus New Years. Christmas stuff is everywhere, but representing that as *just* Christmas season maybe doesn't reflect the diversity we have here.

I agree with money in politics. I think we have a pretty good, pretty stable setup overall. And part of the trade off is stability for efficiency. Feels like there has to be a better way to make sure we are having the right kinds of people become politicians.

I have no problem telling people who wish me a happy Chanukah and responding merry christmas. I would never take offense to someone saying merry whatever holiday they have, while others are just whiny and assume they are trying to convert them. I just find it to be a bunch of BS.

The phrase Merry Christmas is not offensive. It is basically saying Happy Birthday.

Just because it doesn't reflect your religious beliefs or lack thereof make it offensive.

Money in politics.

By this I mean the gargantuan (and now anonymous) sums of money can be spent on electing candidates; those candidates will statistically speaking almost never have to worry about losing their seat again; and should they miraculously lose their seat, the revolving door policy in Washington is well documented. You will be taken care of. Note: anyone who is not already exorbitantly wealthy need not apply.

When you consider that the same cabal of donors that can direct unlimited sums of money towards elections can also purchase unchecked influence in the media, the problem gets worse.

And when you consider the gridlock that can be imposed on the entire system by one radical, obstructionist wing of one party––to the point where we are either having or talking about government shutdowns on a regular basis––the problem becomes terrifying. We the People don't get a pass for this. I didn't vote in the midterms (I should have, and regret the choice, though it would have made no difference in my state). But the narrative of a disengaged, powerless electorate, while a self-fulfilling prophecy in one sense, is difficult to overcome when the system itself is so corrupt and unworthy of our hopes and dreams. It alters our entire thought process about citizenship. Instead of talking about introducing a more fluid democratic system that harnesses the power of the internet, for example, we are stuck with an endless stream of media-fed narratives that prey on baseless fears (like voter fraud being the real problem rather than our access to our representatives or polling places).

The agree with this statement more and more. This also lends it self to VectorVictor's statement about moderation. With all of the money in politics, no one politician can hardly afford to be compromising, to be moderate in some areas, conservative in others and liberal in others - they have to be "all in' one camp or another otherwise the money stops. With all of the money buying off candidates instead of being put to 'real good' in the society, I wonder if we'd be better off if we could remove all of the 'franking' privileges of Congress as well as all foreign 'fact finding' trips, etc and that money used to somehow equally finance federal campaigns. That may be an impossibility and a mess to manage but perhaps a spending cap. Then that get's into 'free speech' issue like the Corp free speech issue ruled on by the SC a few years ago. I don't know what the answer is but the status quo is a problem

Sense of entitlement. The thought that somebody else needs to provide for your needs. The thought that things should be easy and require no effort. Too many people don't know what "work" is or why it is even required.

I would agree with this to an extent, unfortunately my own children have a little of this problem.

For me the biggest problem politically is that nothing gets done because the far right and far left have too much control and are unwilling to compromise. I know most here think it is the far right, but it is both sides. There is no middle ground on anything. So nothing gets done.

Sense of entitlement. The thought that somebody else needs to provide for your needs. The thought that things should be easy and require no effort. Too many people don't know what "work" is or why it is even required.

I would agree with this to an extent, unfortunately my own children have a little of this problem.

For me the biggest problem politically is that nothing gets done because the far right and far left have too much control and are unwilling to compromise. I know most here think it is the far right, but it is both sides. There is no middle ground on anything. So nothing gets done.

I agree with both of you. However, I have a question. How does the far right and far left acting like power hungry idiots and not getting anything done affect people not understanding what work is and thinking they are entitled to everything?

To me, that's a societal thing and doesn't have much to do with politicians. On the other hand, you have politicians constantly telling the country we should vote for them because they will give us stuff. Maybe that's what the problem is.

I agree with both of you. However, I have a question. How does the far right and far left acting like power hungry idiots and not getting anything done affect people not understanding what work is and thinking they are entitled to everything?

To me, that's a societal thing and doesn't have much to do with politicians. On the other hand, you have politicians constantly telling the country we should vote for them because they will give us stuff. Maybe that's what the problem is.

The sense of entitlement is a societal thing. It is our fault. It all goes back to the Middle School concept of trying to make everyone have high self esteem and feel good about themselves. Everyone gets a ribbon and gets told "Good Job" even when they didn't do a good job. Education has backed off of this a little but it is still there. Our government has just picked up on the concept and is running with it.

Call me a Dick, I don't care, but the world is not fair and the people that do work hard in this world will more than likely come out ahead of the game. Our government can give out all the free "stuff" they can but that is not going to improve the situation of the people on government assistance until they really won't to move out of that situation.

The whiny PR folks. I'm so tired of this is offensive or that is offensive BS. MERRY F'N CHRISTMAS for Christ sake, not happy holidays.

Then perhaps Christians should remember the true reason for the season and save Merry Christmas for Jesus' birthday, and not the awesome amalgam of Viking, Druid, and Roman holiday celebrations and symbolism that was co-opted for modern day "Christmas"? :dunno

• Fire 1

The whiny PR folks. I'm so tired of this is offensive or that is offensive BS. MERRY F'N CHRISTMAS for Christ sake, not happy holidays.

Then perhaps Christians should remember the true reason for the season and save Merry Christmas for Jesus' birthday, and not the awesome amalgam of Viking, Druid, and Roman holiday celebrations and symbolism that was co-opted for modern day "Christmas"? :dunno

Still doesn't make the term offensive.

Still doesn't make the term offensive.

No, just ill-timed and willfully ignorant is all.