home/garage gyms

If I had the money and the space I would have one.

The company I work for pays for the majority of my yearly gym membership. All but 40 bucks I put in on my own dime.

I do have a bunch of loose weights and two dumbbell bars, obviously I can change the weight. Then I have an EZ - bar as well. That's all I've got at home. I only really ever use em if I'm feeling crappy for missing a workout and I just want to get the blood flowing, or if I'm pissed off and want to slam someones face into a wall, I'll grab the weights- throw on some music and just but out some quick sets. A punching bag would be even better, but I don't have space to hang one.

-Certified Non-Kazinski here. I take my anger out on weights, not women.

same here. My wife's workplace pays a portion of a family membership to the local Y. Which in Hastings, the Y also owns what is hte former Champions Sports/Rec. with a really nice cardio/cybex weight deck and free weights room. They have everything. She gets it taken out of her paycheck in it's like 15$ a week that we literally dont even notice.

While we were visiting the in-laws in Hastings around Xmas time, we took our kids to play at the Y to kill some time. It was pretty fun for the kids to play at for a couple hours and it seemed like it had a nice workout area.

The Champions building I take it? If so, yes. There's quite a bit there for kids. The old original Y is more of what you think of as far as perception of a typical YMCA goes. Champions was opened and owned by a local doctor up until about 8 years or so I think.

The company I work for pays for the majority of my yearly gym membership. All but 40 bucks I put in on my own dime.

I do have a bunch of loose weights and two dumbbell bars, obviously I can change the weight. Then I have an EZ - bar as well. That's all I've got at home. I only really ever use em if I'm feeling crappy for missing a workout and I just want to get the blood flowing, or if I'm pissed off and want to slam someones face into a wall, I'll grab the weights- throw on some music and just but out some quick sets. A punching bag would be even better, but I don't have space to hang one.

same here. My wife's workplace pays a portion of a family membership to the local Y. Which in Hastings, the Y also owns what is hte former Champions Sports/Rec. with a really nice cardio/cybex weight deck and free weights room. They have everything. She gets it taken out of her paycheck in it's like 15$ a week that we literally dont even notice.

While we were visiting the in-laws in Hastings around Xmas time, we took our kids to play at the Y to kill some time. It was pretty fun for the kids to play at for a couple hours and it seemed like it had a nice workout area.

The Champions building I take it? If so, yes. There's quite a bit there for kids. The old original Y is more of what you think of as far as perception of a typical YMCA goes. Champions was opened and owned by a local doctor up until about 8 years or so I think.

Yeah, this was this past Christmas, so it was the new Champions building. My father-in-law was telling me how this huge place was opened and one of the reasons was the local teams could do a lot of sports training there. There seemed to be plenty of space there, but I don't know if a town like Hastings can support that big of a rec-center and it's monthly operating costs.

Yeah, this was this past Christmas, so it was the new Champions building. My father-in-law was telling me how this huge place was opened and one of the reasons was the local teams could do a lot of sports training there. There seemed to be plenty of space there, but I don't know if a town like Hastings can support that big of a rec-center and it's monthly operating costs.

Well it does. Like I said, both are owned by the Y now. And on any given night, the parking lot at each building is pretty much full. And they do a lot of things like youth and adult leagues for all sorts of sports.

• 3 weeks later...

If your still looking for a home gym set up, there are a many good companies. Some I have dealt with and had great luck are the following:

Fringe Sports- great prices and free shipping AND FREE RETURNS

Get RXD- Great customer service as well. Need rack called the guillotine. Great price and allows pull ups, dips etc...

Rogue Fitness- Cadillac equipment

I have the Rogue S2 squat rack with spotter arms and dip attachment

Fringe bar and bumpers

Rogue Bench

Lifeline bands (great dumbbell substitute ad much cheaper) Also check out Gorilla Strength bands

Misc DB's from craigslist

KB's from Fringe

Rubber mats from Tractor supply

Craigs list has great stuff. I've gotten REALLY good deals on some stuff

Used tires (free again) for flips, dragging and hitting with sledge

Some really good DIY stuff as well.

Gave up the gym membership about 3 years ago. Workout anytime. My sweat on the equipment. If I want to yell, scream or pass out, no one to complain. I can drop stuff, leave stuff laying around etc.... Really glad I saved and built one. Little by little and piece by piece.

Good luck

If your still looking for a home gym set up, there are a many good companies. Some I have dealt with and had great luck are the following:

Get RXD- Great customer service as well. Need rack called the guillotine. Great price and allows pull ups, dips etc...

Fringe bar and bumpers

Rogue Bench

Lifeline bands (great dumbbell substitute ad much cheaper) Also check out Gorilla Strength bands

KB's from Fringe

Gave up the gym membership about 3 years ago. Workout anytime. My sweat on the equipment. If I want to yell, scream or pass out, no one to complain. I can drop stuff, leave stuff laying around etc.... Really glad I saved and built one. Little by little and piece by piece.

Good luck

Got my hands on some bars and a bunch of different lb plates. Got an adjustable bench from a local goodwill for 15 bucks too. Luckily this summer there is a stupid amount of garage sales in my area. The highway 141 garage sale is literally hundreds of sales on the same weekend. Going to save up and grab everything I can find

Fringe bar and bumpers

Rogue Bench

KB's from Fringe

Good luck

Got my hands on some bars and a bunch of different lb plates. Got an adjustable bench from a local goodwill for 15 bucks too. Luckily this summer there is a stupid amount of garage sales in my area. The highway 141 garage sale is literally hundreds of sales on the same weekend. Going to save up and grab everything I can find

It's amazing what you can find by looking and being patient. Gym equipment is a lot like a new car IMO. The first buyer eats a lot of depreciation. The stuff is metal and made to be abused. Hard to wear it out. I'll have to hit the Goodwills. We have them on like every block it seems.

Fringe bar and bumpers

Rogue Bench

KB's from Fringe

Good luck

It's amazing what you can find by looking and being patient. Gym equipment is a lot like a new car IMO. The first buyer eats a lot of depreciation. The stuff is metal and made to be abused. Hard to wear it out. I'll have to hit the Goodwills. We have them on like every block it seems.

Or salvation army, you can come across some things occasionally.