America Reaches Deal with Iran

So according to this deal, Iran can deny requests to inspect, which then has to be over rode by a board. I could be misunderstanding this, as I only am seeing an article, not the actually document. But that kind of sounds like it gives them some time to put stuff away until the coast is clear?

"overridden"

Uhm, "OMFG Ali, the inspectors are coming, quick, hide the nuclear reactor back behind that dune, for Allah's sake!" Yeah, I could see that happening...

This whole Iran hype is the exact same script they used for Iraq. Oh, Libya, same deal, then Syria, in fact, all the way back to Nicaraqua or Guatamala or freaking Grenada, the Central American "Axis of Evil" that were a "grave national and regional threat!" Same ol' script and the ones who should be the most fearful are the Iranians, because when USA Corp roles out that propaganda on a country, it usually spells doom for the targeted country. USA Corp has wanted control of Iranian oil for decades and the fact that the Iranians won't play ball--as in, they want to control their own oil--means they are the "threat"(as per the script). And the Muricans keep falling for it, tragically. Fortunately there is a growing number of informed Americans that will hopefully put up enough resistance before USA Corp decides they've had enough and try to bomb Iran back to Stone Age(as in Iraq, etc)

I fear for the Iranian people in the up coming years...

Don't send your precious sons and daughters to go and fight for USA Corp and the Dick Cheneys of the world in the name of "defending freedom". Wake the F up! No more blood for oil!

The sanctions were not going to continue credibly ad infinitum -- that was not up to the U.S. alone.

We're not ready for another war with only token international backing. Relative to the status quo, this cuts the Iranian path to a bomb -- and that's big. It could open up Iran, or it might not. If war is going to come eventually, there would be more credible cause.

It's not about getting everything we want -- indeed, I'd love to hear how that was ever going to be realized. But we're in a stronger position relative to Iran than we were before, and I think that's important. Obviously, this is not the endpoint of US-Iran relations. The story continues from here.

Yep. Even with the sanctions, Iran was moving toward an end goal of having nuclear weapons capability - and the U.S. had no other means left (short of war) that would halt it. On top of that, the sanctions are hurting the Iranian people far more than the ruling class. So, the sanctions weren't deterring the conduct we wanted to stop and they were turning an entire population against the U.S. With this deal, we at least have some degree of visibility over what happens. We seem to be far more effective in advancing our interests by opening up cultures than we are in sanctioning those other cultures or waging war.

The end result without this deal was inevitable. With the deal, there is at least some possibility of changing the course. It can be argued that it is small or negligible, but it's certainly better than what was taking place.

With Obamas promises about this great deal, if we find out that the terrorist who killed 4 marines today is linked or inspired by Isis, I fully expect that the Iranian leadership will come out and condemn Isis and killing Americans on behalf of Isis.

Fat chance of that happening.

With Obamas promises about this great deal, if we find out that the terrorist who killed 4 marines today is linked or inspired by Isis, I fully expect that the Iranian leadership will come out and condemn Isis and killing Americans on behalf of Isis.

But....but....his administration said it is the most significant agreement in decades. :)

But....but....his administration said it is the most significant agreement in decades. :)

You realize Iran has been fighting ISIS with boots on the ground for months, right?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/on-the-front-line-of-the-war-against-isis-joint-action-by-us-and-iran-has-never-felt-closer-10391625.html

I mean, this Iran hatred is fun and all, but it's completely misguided. It shows a complete lack of understanding of history, and the motivations of Iran and the US. Here's a tip - in this story, the US has mostly been the bad guy. Of the two, the country with the most reason to hate the other is Iran.

• Fire 4

You realize Iran has been fighting ISIS with boots on the ground for months, right?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/on-the-front-line-of-the-war-against-isis-joint-action-by-us-and-iran-has-never-felt-closer-10391625.html

I mean, this Iran hatred is fun and all, but it's completely misguided. It shows a complete lack of understanding of history, and the motivations of Iran and the US. Here's a tip - in this story, the US has mostly been the bad guy. Of the two, the country with the most reason to hate the other is Iran.

For starters, the Independent leans to the left on most political topics, so I would not identify that as being a strong source. WIth that said, I'm sure both sides have been at fault historically, but in the past 14 years, I have not heard Iran come forward once and condemn the 9/11 attacks, or any other attacks on Americans, whether its via Isis or Al Qaeda. There has been mounting evidence that they have contributed to the destabilization in Iraq since that war has begun, sending in their own fighters. Israel has always been a strong ally for the US (in the same way as Great Britain), and Iran's leader has called for the eradication of Israel. There have been marches and gathering as recently as a few months ago with hundreds of thousands chanting "Death to America." All of these behaviors do not make me have any faith or trust in the Iranian regime, but that must be where we disagree.

Just refer to Obama's comments that echo your sentiments about Iran and its behaviors.

After that, you expect them to cozy up to America publicly? Without which this deal is a failure?

The point of the deal was to cut their pathway to a nuclear weapon. It was not to transform them instantly into a close ally, a subservient puppet state, or to effect a regime capitulation. None of those were options remotely on the table, and it's usually the case in diplomacy. Negotiation is not bulldozing the opponent into submission. It's getting a deal that both sides can accept.

Just refer to Obama's comments that echo your sentiments about Iran and its behaviors.

After that, you expect them to cozy up to America publicly? Without which this deal is a failure?

The point of the deal was to cut their pathway to a nuclear weapon. It was not to transform them instantly into a close ally, a subservient puppet state, or to effect a regime capitulation. None of those were options remotely on the table, and it's usually the case in diplomacy. Negotiation is not bulldozing the opponent into submission. It's getting a deal that both sides can accept.

I think you are missing the point. Iran has not had a history of being open and honest when it comes to weapons inspections, whether its through the US or UN. They have openly lead chants "Death to America" as well as the desire to eradicate Israel. Unless they have new leadership through fair elections, its complete naive to expect that their behaviors and intent will change. If Iran truly desires to be more accepted by the US and throughout the world, it will have to show more willingness to condemn Muslin extremists and terrorists both within Iran and in the region. They will understand that America is NOT a bad country who intends to do harm to others for no reason. For a century the US has used its resources to help promote peace throughout the world and make it a safer place. If Iran wanted to show goodwill, it would have released 4 prisoners it still holds as part of this deal, and the Obama administration should have made this part of the deal. That was a big mistake.

Do you view Iran as an ally or an enemy? Do you think its plausible that they will change their behaviors and actions and truly become a long-term strategic partner in the Middle East similar to Jordan?

For starters, the Independent leans to the left on most political topics, so I would not identify that as being a strong source.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/64360-wealth-inequality-in-america/?view=findpost&p=1556047

You failed to also show that I pointed out the Huffington Post has also commented on how income inequality has gotten worse under the Obama administration. If you can provide some hard data points or trend lines showing its improved, or stabilized, please share with us all.