Urb bout to get paid

How are these guys who make $2+ million a year for a number of years not retired and relaxing by the time they are 60?

My thoughts exactly. I'm a competitive SOB but if I'm banking like that im done at 50 without a doubt.

I think if you've got the drive to succeed like he has, you've got a different mindset than retiring when you've made enough. Or put the opposite way, someone who is the type to leave when they've got enough bucks probably isn't the type of person to succeed in such a competitive arena.

Don't get me wrong--I'm in the "retire when I have enough" camp. But I'm pretty sure guys like him have entirely different motivations.

And IF you take him at face value, he did step away once, and missed it, so he came back and isn't likely to repeat that path again. Yes, I know there are other stories about why he left Florida. But in any case, he has had a taste of what it's like to not be a major head football coach.

How are these guys who make $2+ million a year for a number of years not retired and relaxing by the time they are 60?

Its more than a job for most coaches. If you are in a job like this, it is closer to a calling and an identity than the crap jobs most of us go to on a daily basis. Even the money can be more of a competitive angle than a practical angle. Their wives probably enjoy the cash flow more than they do themselves.

• Plus1 1

Its more than a job for most coaches. If you are in a job like this, it is closer to a calling and an identity than the crap jobs most of us go to on a daily basis. Even the money can be more of a competitive angle than a practical angle. Their wives probably enjoy the cash flow more than they do themselves.

I guess that must be true. I mean Lou Holtz is almost friggin 80 and he was still working (at least thru last season). He had to be making a couple hundred K at ESPN and throw in all his speaking fees. He has to have solid bank that he could have retired 20 years ago after the ND gig.