Ron Brown to Liberty (FCS)

“Every single day was a battle for me — my will vs. God’s will,” said Brown, a devout evangelical Christian who officially left YSU last week to join Liberty’s staff as an associate head coach under Turner Gill, a close friend and former Husker quarterback.

It wasn’t a battle because of the YSU football players or the Penguin head coach, Bo Pelini, whom Brown followed from NU after both were fired. Brown on Monday said he “loved” Pelini and praised his “public courage.” But coaching in Youngstown, even for a few months, was a sharp change from more than two decades of life in Nebraska, where Brown was an assistant under three head coaches, helped win three national titles and worked in Christian ministries.
Just weeks after his arrival at YSU, the Jambar, Youngstown State’s student newspaper, published an editorial calling Brown’s views on homosexuality “neolithic.” In March, an LGBT advisory committee at the school publicly requested Brown, Pelini and university President Jim Tressel attend sensitivity training.
“I hadn’t even met anybody, really, at the university,” Brown said. “They just kind of went on my reputation at Nebraska.”
The real difficulty, Brown said, was being away from his family. He missed his daughters, Sojourner, a sophomore at New York University, and Bronwyn, a sophomore in high school. More than that, he missed his wife, Molvina Carter. And Brown said he had a revelation about her while in Youngstown.
“I realized that my wife had carried so much of our family and so much of my career with her and I had not given her the time to really appreciate her,” Brown said. “... When you’re in coaching this long, sometimes you overlook how important your wife is. And she’s helped me to see things from a much clearer perspective.”

OWH

• Fire 1

Yesterday must have been Interview Ron Brown Day. The LJS has a story on him as well:

Brown said it was a very difficult decision to leave Youngstown State. He said he loves Pelini — particularly his "guts to stand up for his beliefs" — and became close to the running backs there. He said he spent time with Carl Pelini and liked the vibe in the program. Bo has been "very laid back" this offseason, Brown said.

Brown, though, saw a larger picture. Liberty has invested an "incredible amount of money into communicating what it believes" as a Christian university through use of various media, including TV and radio. He compares his new job to having a powerful snowblower. He can cut a much wider swath instead of being confined to a relatively small area.

"Liberty can advance the chains spiritually," Brown said.

LINK

• Fire 1

“I hadn’t even met anybody, really, at the university,” Brown said. “They just kind of went on my reputation at Nebraska.”

Poor guy. Imagine being judged on the reputation for jackassery you've created for yourself.

• Fire 4

Poor guy. Imagine being judged on the reputation for jackassery you've created for yourself.

Should fit right in @ Jerry Falwell U.

jerry_falwell.jpg

AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals.

Jerry Falwell

Honestly, this is the thing that actually surprises me most about the move. I would have thought he'd be more interested in working somewhere that he had the opportunity to evangelize rather than preaching to the choir.

As for Falwell, I had the great displeasure of meeting the guy on a couple of occasions in the early 80s. That guy has always been a major scumbag. He was a frequent visitor to the church with which my high school was affiliated (coincidentally, a good friend and former teammate (at Brown) of Ron Brown was the head pastor there until earlier this year).

Honestly, this is the thing that actually surprises me most about the move. I would have thought he'd be more interested in working somewhere that he had the opportunity to evangelize rather than preaching to the choir.

As for Falwell, I had the great displeasure of meeting the guy on a couple of occasions in the early 80s. That guy has always been a major scumbag. He was a frequent visitor to the church with which my high school was affiliated (coincidentally, a good friend and former teammate (at Brown) of Ron Brown was the head pastor there until earlier this year).

The Falwell thing really tarnishes it, yeah. But evangelical Christianity isn't my cup of tea, anyway. Are Christians allowed to wear tats now?

Wait. Ron Brown just now had a revelation about how much his wife has sacrificed for his 25 year coaching career?

Tom Osborne came to that exact same revelation very very late in his coaching career, he has spoken and written about both

Sometimes it takes a jolt like changing jobs or seeing the end of the journey for some to come to that conclusion

The media opportunities Liberty offers was one of the main reasons Brown took the job according to the articles I read, they are supposed to be very modern and outreaching. Of course being at Liberty would mean he wouldnt be muzzled or fired for his beliefs or be required to go to a reeducation/sensititvity camp.

• Fire 1