Ron Brown to Liberty (FCS)

The Safe Zone Advisory Council is a faculty council (link) and I think the name is pretty apt. For most people, that "safe zone" exists as a default, but for LGBTI individuals it does not.

These people have very real, probably lifelong struggles about identity and acceptance. Saying "Well, I don't discriminate" is all well and good for someone personally...until they have say, a son or daughter come out. Then one way or another they will get to an awareness level about what these people go through, and their needs, etc, that far exceeds where they were previously.(Everyone has needs, but some people's needs are more commonly understood than others'.)

A university has a great many sons and daughters who may have those needs, and they are only scratching the surface of being well equipped to handle this. A great way to start is education programs for administrators, sponsored by groups such as this. I'm sure some administrators won't need it. Others will probably learn a great deal and their students will benefit for it. As the article knapplc originally linked points out, annual diversity training is mandatory for administrators anyway.

• Fire 3

The Safe Zone Advisory Council is a faculty council (link) and I think the name is pretty apt. For most people, that "safe zone" exists as a default, but for LGBTI individuals it does not.These people have very real, probably lifelong struggles about identity and acceptance. Saying "Well, I don't discriminate" is all well and good for someone personally...until they have say, a son or daughter come out. Then one way or another they will get to an awareness level about what these people go through, and their needs, etc, that far exceeds where they were previously.(Everyone has needs, but some people's needs are more commonly understood than others'.)A university has a great many sons and daughters who may have those needs, and they are only scratching the surface of being well equipped to handle this. A great way to start is education programs for administrators, sponsored by groups such as this. I'm sure some administrators won't need it. Others will probably learn a great deal and their students will benefit for it. As the article knapplc originally linked points out, annual diversity training is mandatory for administrators anyway.

Of course you are correct and I'm just a dick. Sorry. Just not feeling very touchy feely lately. I'll bow out of the discussion.

Of course you are correct and I'm just a dick. Sorry. Just not feeling very touchy feely lately. I'll bow out of the discussion.

Oh no I don't think you are being a dick at all, sorry. I've never attended anything like this either -- we're probably at the same starting point of "oh okay, well I don't discriminate" there and that's good enough for me. But hopefully you see why it might be a good idea for a college president, or football coach, or teacher to have access to some of these programs.

What the hell does QIA stand for?

Queer, Intersex, Asexual.

Look, my comment was not meant to bash LBGT efforts for acceptance. It's just some of the names of these groups and councils and the fact that they're treated as being so important. It's probably just me being a dick but don't people have better things to do? I guess I come off a little callous because I already accept these people and I just feel many of these things hold back their cause and treat them as being unequal. If everyone would ignore the differences, there wouldn't be the need to recognize differences....I guess that's where I'm at with it.

And you can spare me the lecture about how they are still discriminated against. I realize there are still people that just don't get it. I just happen to be for ignoring them rather than empowering their narrow mindedness by having to address it. Surely aren't those people in the minority today?

You're not an ass or anything like that, but you are definitely speaking from a privileged position because you don't have to deal with nor are you affected by the realities of inequality towards LBGT people. EVERYBODY says "just ignore it" as advice for dealing with bully mentalities...until they're the one that's subject to it. The reality is that these people are unequal - not in their essence, but in the way they are practically treated and in the lives that they are forced to live by our society. That means they need more effort towards protection and towards progress bringing them up to the same level.

tl;dr you're for ignoring those people because you CAN ignore them. The LGBT community doesn't really have the luxury of ignoring, and if they don't have the luxury of ignoring, then systems and institutions have an obligation to work towards that end on their behalf.

• Fire 2

¯\(°_o)/¯[/size]
Ok, I have to ask, at the risk of opening myself up for more deserved abuse.

1- Is that really what QIA stands for?

2- if it is, how does "queer" differ from the other 6 letters represented?

3- WTF does intersex mean?

4- Do we really have people who identify with being asexual? I thought that was some kind of organism that multiplied without having sex. Are there people who can do that?

Nvm, I looked it up.

Q is for questioning

I is intersexed (aka hermaphrodite)

A is ally

Thanks for the misinformation LoMS.

http://tahoesafealliance.org/for-lgbqtia/what-does-lgbtqia-mean/

All these terms and acronyms are a little overwhelming. I guess today I learned the difference between transgender (anatomically one gender, but identifying as another one) and intersex (anatomically between genders). Queer just seems derogatory. I'm uncomfortable using it and don't really understand it being used in the acronym. On the other hand, maybe just saying "LGBT" like in the old days is not inclusive enough? But then, we should come up with a better phrase. You can't keep tacking on letters. Gets unwieldy :P

A does mean asexual, but I guess it can also be used as 'ally'. So in that sense, one would hope that we are all LGBTQIAA. Maybe that's what they're going for? Kind of a nice tear-down-the-boundaries thing.

¯\(°_o)/¯[/size]

4- Do we really have people who identify with being asexual? I thought that was some kind of organism that multiplied without having sex. Are there people who can do that?

Nvm, I looked it up.

Q is for questioning

A is ally

Traditionally, the QIA stand for what I said, but there is no 'official' definition.

L - lesbian - female sexually/romantically attracted to females

G - gay - male sexually/romantically attracted to males

B - bisexual - sexually/romantically attracted to both sexes

T - transgender - member of a gender other than what is expected of their anatomical sex

Q - queer - umbrella term for anything that doesn't adhere to heterosexual/cisgender norms

I - intersex - physical/anatomical sex does not categorize as exclusively male or female

A - asexual - someone not attracted to anyone

A - ally - heterosexual/cisgender person that is a friend of the cause

There are plenty of people who identify as asexual. I am friends with a number of asexual people. Whether you think Q stands for queer or for questioning, they essentially mean the same thing, which is someone who doesn't fit into sexual/gender categories that our society considers default and normal.

• Fire 1

¯\(°_o)/¯[/size]

Nvm, I looked it up.

Q is for questioning

A is ally

Sounds to me like you need to sign up for one of the BS PC classes.

I don't think anyone sees you as a bad guy. But when you are part of the status quo (or majority or whatever you prefer) and you say these things aren't a problem or don't matter- well how would you even know?

That is why those groups exist. Progress has been made but there is in no way shape or form an even playing field.

• Fire 1