Ron Brown to Liberty (FCS)

Turner Gill fired his WR Coach, Juan Taylor, on 4/2/15, right in the middle of Spring football. Taylor had been with Gill at Buffalo for five years, so they had quite a history together.

I checked out a Liberty Flames fan site. Found this:

icon_post_target.gifby From the class of 09 » April 2nd, 2015, 1:49 pm

I know it would be tough to steal him now because of timing but, he would fit in very well.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... -ron-brown

That is a man with an exceedingly sharp crystal ball.

So, reading the tea leaves, it would seem that Brown went to YSU intending to stay there. But, something happened with Gill's WR coach, Gill had to make a move, and called his buddy Ron Brown.

I'm betting this has less to do with Ron Brown's ministry and a lot more to do with Turner Gill's short list of coaches he wants to work with.

I agree with this assessment by Knapp. RB would have continued his ministry regardless of location - it can happen anywhere. But there are few opportunities to coach with and under a very good friend. This switch makes perfect sense to me. Coach under Bo or under a friend - Turner. Not a hard choice. The last video exchange between Bo and RB that I saw was of Bo spitting all over RB has he walked by yelling on the side lines. On the ministry side, Liberty, Gill and RB is a good match. On the football side, the school will be on the rise with coaches like these.

• Fire 1

Well... maybe I'm wrong. Hard to say if this had anything to do with Brown's decision. It isn't coming from the administration, but who knows how it's been handled internally.

LINK

Responding to criticism over the Youngstown State University athletics department’s hiring of Ron Brown as assistant head coach, YSU’s Safe Zone Advisory Council is calling for top administrators to attend the LGBTQIA-focused Safe Zone Ally Program.

Brown has been criticized for expressing faith-based views condemning homosexuality while working for a state institution. In response to Brown’s hiring, Brian Wells, academic adviser and member of YSU’s Safe Zone Advisory Council, sent President Jim Tressel, head coach Bo Pelini and Brown a memo inviting them to participate in Safe Zone training.

Well... maybe I'm wrong. Hard to say if this had anything to do with Brown's decision. It isn't coming from the administration, but who knows how it's been handled internally.

LINK

Responding to criticism over the Youngstown State University athletics department’s hiring of Ron Brown as assistant head coach, YSU’s Safe Zone Advisory Council is calling for top administrators to attend the LGBTQIA-focused Safe Zone Ally Program.

Brown has been criticized for expressing faith-based views condemning homosexuality while working for a state institution. In response to Brown’s hiring, Brian Wells, academic adviser and member of YSU’s Safe Zone Advisory Council, sent President Jim Tressel, head coach Bo Pelini and Brown a memo inviting them to participate in Safe Zone training.

Political correctness running amok -- regardless, the timing worked out for RB when Turner fired the WR coach.

Alright. All my jokes aside. Like some others have said, now this makes sense. Yes, we know why-in his own words even-why Brown chose Youngstown St to begin with, but it was still a head scratcher to many including me. This decision to join Turner Gill at a churchy school like Liberty makes all the sense in the world to me and completely eases any angst I had towards Brown as part of our history caused by following Bo to YSU. Let's face it, he was starting to become a punch line to many, myself included at times, and that was really uncomfortable. I'm glad he did this, and frankly, I bet when he got the call, it was probably a no brainer decision.

Ron Brown doesn't care about your angst or that you're glad.

Wow. Thats a revelation. Dont give a sh#t if he cares or not. But I do.

What's with self riteous bullsh#t lately?

....YSU’s Safe Zone Advisory Council is calling for top administrators to attend the LGBTQIA-focused Safe Zone Ally Program.....

This excerpt is what is wrong with society, and colleges in particular, today. What kind of PC BS is this? Maybe we should convene a roundtable discussion. :ahhhhhhhh:laughpound

Safe Zone Advisory Council....

LGBTQIA- focused.....

and it's important by George.

....YSU’s Safe Zone Advisory Council is calling for top administrators to attend the LGBTQIA-focused Safe Zone Ally Program.....

This excerpt is what is wrong with society, and colleges in particular, today. What kind of PC BS is this? Maybe we should convene a roundtable discussion. :ahhhhhhhh:laughpound

LGBTQIA- focused.....

I can't tell if this is serious, but of course it is important. Even people who fall under one of those designations are people, but they obviously are not treated like it in many ways, and the challenges posed by their being stigmatized is something that is poorly understood by those of us who haven't experienced it. God forbid university administrators make an effort to serve all of their students, right?

• Fire 3

LGBTQIA- focused.....

Yes, because it would be better if they just stayed in the closet.

• Fire 1

Look, my comment was not meant to bash LBGT efforts for acceptance. It's just some of the names of these groups and councils and the fact that they're treated as being so important. It's probably just me being a dick but don't people have better things to do? I guess I come off a little callous because I already accept these people and I just feel many of these things hold back their cause and treat them as being unequal. If everyone would ignore the differences, there wouldn't be the need to recognize differences....I guess that's where I'm at with it.

And you can spare me the lecture about how they are still discriminated against. I realize there are still people that just don't get it. I just happen to be for ignoring them rather than empowering their narrow mindedness by having to address it. Surely aren't those people in the minority today?

• Fire 1

I was disappointed in Ron Brown when he followed Bo to Youngstown. In my view, that amounted to a sort of endorsement of Pelini's actions...as Pelini basically tried to burn the place down on his way out the door. I found it hypocritical that Brown preaches Christian values and then turns a blind eye toward Pelini's deplorable behavior. I'm a fan of Coach Brown, but found that choice to be inexplicable and indefensible.

How do you know he turned a blind eye? You're putting RB on a pedestal that is unjust. What does Christian values have to do with Pelini deplorable behavior and his decision to coach under him? Also, Why is it bad for him to coach under Bo at a program that would allow him to speak his mind, but it's not even worth mentioning that a university, that you follow, shut him up because he is an outspoken Christian? The same one that allows professors to preach their agnostic, atheist, etc. views on students?
Do you recall Coach Brown publicly disagreeing with the way Bo conducted himself? Me neither.

There's nothing wrong with asking why a preacher's actions are completely inconsistent with what he claims to believe. Pelini is a psychotic douchebag who tried to burn the place down on his way out of town. Rather than objecting to that and distancing himself from Pelini, Brown talked about what a great and loyal guy he is and followed him to his next gig. In my view that makes Coach Brown a complete hypocrite. I like the guy...but it is what it is.