Ron Brown to Liberty (FCS)

Brown said on Sharp and Benning that the reason he chose to go with Bo was becuase Bo would let him do whatever in regards to religion etc. Taking into account who's he's leaving for and Turner's obvious beliefs, I would bet it has something to do with that situation or along the religious/preaching lines.

• Fire 1

I don't see how this is a "controversial" move?

Brown is going to coach with an old friend at a school where he won't be persecuted for having certain religious beliefs. In fact, Brown's beliefs and evangelizing of those beliefs will be encouraged at Liberty.

This seems like a good place for Brown to end his coaching career.

• Fire 2

And here's Brown's words about his departure from Nebraska, from an interview with Sipple:

LINK

A man of faith, Brown said he feels God's energy when he coaches. He has no plans to slow down. No offense to retirees, he said, but he really doesn't believe in retirement.

In other words, he could be at Youngstown State for a long time.

Brown told the Journal Star on Wednesday night that he'll continue his career as an associate head coach and running backs coach, under new Penguins head coach Bo Pelini, under whom Brown coached at Nebraska from 2008-14.

"I thought that this is where the Lord was leading me," Brown said from Youngstown, Ohio.

Brown said he wasn't granted an interview by new Nebraska head coach Mike Riley, even though Brown thinks he could've learned a new offense.

"I wanted to stay — I love Nebraska," Brown said.

When Brown's move to YSU under the fiery Pelini was questioned by us here, the common wisdom was that Brown would have time & understanding at Youngstown State to continue his ministry. Pelini is a devout Catholic, and Jim Tressel is big into the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

If we're thinking now that Brown is going to Liberty where he'll be free to work on his ministry... what the heck was the YSU stint for?

From the same article, for what it's worth:

"I know there are people who will say, 'What are you doing going with Bo after all that he did, particularly with that supposedly closed-door meeting with the players?'" said Brown, referring to Pelini's expletive-laced talk Dec. 2 at Lincoln North Star High School, in which Pelini expressed disdain for NU athletic director Shawn Eichorst.

"I don't condone the use of the language Bo used — I'm not condoning that whatsoever," Brown said. "What I am saying is, there was a spirit behind that, and that I've evaluated things for the eight years I've been with Bo."

In Pelini (and Tressel), Brown has bosses who will allow him, as well as the players, to be open about their faith. Bo doesn't try to muzzle him, he said. What's more, Brown appreciates another chance to expend his abundant energy in a place where he clearly belongs — on the gridiron.

And here's Brown's words about his departure from Nebraska, from an interview with Sipple:

LINK

A man of faith, Brown said he feels God's energy when he coaches. He has no plans to slow down. No offense to retirees, he said, but he really doesn't believe in retirement.

Brown told the Journal Star on Wednesday night that he'll continue his career as an associate head coach and running backs coach, under new Penguins head coach Bo Pelini, under whom Brown coached at Nebraska from 2008-14.

"I thought that this is where the Lord was leading me," Brown said from Youngstown, Ohio.

Brown said he wasn't granted an interview by new Nebraska head coach Mike Riley, even though Brown thinks he could've learned a new offense.

When Brown's move to YSU under the fiery Pelini was questioned by us here, the common wisdom was that Brown would have time & understanding at Youngstown State to continue his ministry. Pelini is a devout Catholic, and Jim Tressel is big into the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

If we're thinking now that Brown is going to Liberty where he'll be free to work on his ministry... what the heck was the YSU stint for?

That's what's interesting.

But he is joining Turner. And he's going to a church school to do so instead of a public university. It's really right up his alley.

LINK

Does there have to be a conspiracy theory for everything? Maybe Gill just talked to Brown recently and asked if he would want to come to Liberty. Coaches leave places for a number of reasons. No reason to get our panties in a bunch over every little thing a former NU head or assistant coach does.

Turner Gill fired his WR Coach, Juan Taylor, on 4/2/15, right in the middle of Spring football. Taylor had been with Gill at Buffalo for five years, so they had quite a history together.

I checked out a Liberty Flames fan site. Found this:

icon_post_target.gifby From the class of 09 » April 2nd, 2015, 1:49 pm
I know it would be tough to steal him now because of timing but, he would fit in very well.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... -ron-brown

That is a man with an exceedingly sharp crystal ball.

So, reading the tea leaves, it would seem that Brown went to YSU intending to stay there. But, something happened with Gill's WR coach, Gill had to make a move, and called his buddy Ron Brown.

I'm betting this has less to do with Ron Brown's ministry and a lot more to do with Turner Gill's short list of coaches he wants to work with.

• Fire 1

Does there have to be a conspiracy theory for everything? Maybe Gill just talked to Brown recently and asked if he would want to come to Liberty. Coaches leave places for a number of reasons. No reason to get our panties in a bunch over every little thing a former NU head or assistant coach does.

Easy there, compadre. I'm a Ron Brown fan, I'm curious, and this is an unusual set of moves. Nobody's throwing out conspiracies and nobody's out to get Ron Brown.

Liberty makes so much more sense for Ron Brown, from the beginning.

Bo renting Ron Brown for Spring ball? That sounds odd. But perhaps! It's not the worst arrangement in the world, I suppose. It's not like Youngstown State is bigtime football and they are being left high and dry.

Best of luck to RB. It's great that two former Huskers are reuniting here.

• Fire 1

Liberty makes so much more sense for Ron Brown, from the beginning.

Bo renting Ron Brown for Spring ball? That sounds odd. But perhaps! It's not the worst arrangement in the world, I suppose. It's not like Youngstown State is bigtime football and they are being left high and dry.

Best of luck to RB. It's great that two former Huskers are reuniting here.

Yeah, it seems like a perfect fit. In fact, Liberty is one of a handful of schools that might embrace Ron Brown as head coach someday. That is, if Turner ever decides to move on.

I was disappointed in Ron Brown when he followed Bo to Youngstown. In my view, that amounted to a sort of endorsement of Pelini's actions...as Pelini basically tried to burn the place down on his way out the door. I found it hypocritical that Brown preaches Christian values and then turns a blind eye toward Pelini's deplorable behavior. I'm a fan of Coach Brown, but found that choice to be inexplicable and indefensible.

• Fire 2