Isn't Golson just a more-hyped Tommy Armstrong? Yeah, he got to a national title game his freshman year, but that was mainly due to ND's defense that year.

Golson had diddly squat around him and I still thought he played well. . He's faster and has better accuracy imo.

How does Golson have "diddly squat" around him? Isn't ND consistently ahead of NU in recruiting rankings? I would think there is more talent around him. Plus, I would think most NU fans think Brian Kelly is a better offensive-mind than Beck.

Nebraska has had more players drafted at skill positions than notre dame.

Here are stats for Golson and Armstrong. To me, not a huge difference, except for completion percentage. Armstrong's rushing yardage helps make up for a difference in passing yardage.

STATS AND STUFF

I'll take a higher completion percentage and more passing yardage any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

• Fire 1

Year one for MR is going to be all about evaluating. And I am good with that. Don't get me wrong, I want to win games, lots of them. But, at the end of the day, I want MR and staff to know exactly what we have at each position and have a leg up on recruiting to improve the weak spots. At quarterback we've got a bunch of possibilities, but we don't know if we have THE GUY on the roster at this point. Let's find out. Bringing in Golson at this point would only muddy the waters, plus he has a lot of baggage.

With the right coaching, maybe Tommy can improve. I know one thing about him, the guy is a ball-faking man-child. With the right coaching he might develop the vision that will allow him to locate open guys off those fakes. And when he gains confidence off of that, he can add the QB run now and again.... and away we go.

I get the frustration with TA because he seems to have stalled, but I still like the kid and think he's got some possibilities. I wouldn't mind one of those other guys stepping up their game with the right coaching push as well.

But we have to find out. And that takes patience. At least a year of patience.

Here are stats for Golson and Armstrong. To me, not a huge difference, except for completion percentage. Armstrong's rushing yardage helps make up for a difference in passing yardage.

STATS AND STUFF

I'll take a higher completion percentage and more passing yardage any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Why do people always discount rushing stats when looking at QB's? To me, a yard gained is a yard gained.

Why is everyone so down on Tommy? I wouldn't take Golson over TA. The measurables are similar and I think Tommy actually has a stronger arm. Our past coaching staff has proven that they weren't great at developing QBs so let's see what he can do with better coaching. I'm not willing to throw away 3 years of experience and leadership for a 1 year transfer. He also has 2 years of eligibility remaining to learn from this staff. Maybe I'm still hurt from the Sam Keller situation.

• Fire 3

STATS AND STUFF

Why do people always discount rushing stats when looking at QB's? To me, a yard gained is a yard gained.

When we have an extremely inefficient passing game and teams can key on the run, that makes it so much harder to gain yards on the ground. We saw a lot of that last year when they stacked up against the run and we couldn't move the ball. Maybe Langsdorf's offensive scheme have more versatility in the run game and he won't try to send our RBs into a brick wall every time they get the football, but even with a more versatile running game, a more efficient passing game will open up the run even more.

STATS AND STUFF

When we have an extremely inefficient passing game and teams can key on the run, that makes it so much harder to gain yards on the ground. We saw a lot of that last year when they stacked up against the run and we couldn't move the ball. Maybe Langsdorf's offensive scheme have more versatility in the run game and he won't try to send our RBs into a brick wall every time they get the football, but even with a more versatile running game, a more efficient passing game will open up the run even more.

But, I could argue that a QB that can run forces the defense to play 11 on 11 and takes away a possible defender against the running back and possible receivers? I am not trying to argue that it has to be one or the other, but I don't like it when people discount rushing yards from a QB. It's only one play, but if a QB takes a shotgun snap and tosses it forward to a WR running a jet-sweep action, that QB gets credit for passing yards. All the QB did was stand there, take the snap, and basically hand it to the WR running by.

Why is everyone so down on Tommy? I wouldn't take Golson over TA. The measurables are similar and I think Tommy actually has a stronger arm. Our past coaching staff has proven that they weren't great at developing QBs so let's see what he can do with better coaching. I'm not willing to throw away 3 years of experience and leadership for a 1 year transfer. He also has 2 years of eligibility remaining to learn from this staff. Maybe I'm still hurt from the Sam Keller situation.

+1

If Golson was smart he'd transfer to the school that offers the best graduate program and most valuable masters degree. He won't be playing Sundays. Might as well enhance his career with a free $50k or so of education. Maybe a school like Northwestern or UCLA, if they'd have him.

+1

+1 (except I actually gave you a +1 :lol:)

• Fire 1

STATS AND STUFF

But, I could argue that a QB that can run forces the defense to play 11 on 11 and takes away a possible defender against the running back and possible receivers? I am not trying to argue that it has to be one or the other, but I don't like it when people discount rushing yards from a QB. It's only one play, but if a QB takes a shotgun snap and tosses it forward to a WR running a jet-sweep action, that QB gets credit for passing yards. All the QB did was stand there, take the snap, and basically hand it to the WR running by.

Valid point. It's nice to have a mobile QB, but considering our less-than-stellar history of recruiting "dual threat" QBs, I can't help but be a bit jaded on that concept. Maybe the new coaching staff will change my mind.

"Russell Wilson, who needs him?"

Sometimes they're great. Sometimes they're not.

We do not have that great of a QB situation right now. That said, plenty of high profile schools don't even have a solid returning starter (Texas??? Florida? FSU?), so I'd be very surprised if he gives us a look. But after what we saw from the QB position last year, I think it's silly to think we couldn't use a jolt there.

That said, I think the plan is to aggressively turn over the position to new recruits -- starting with 2 in the new class. If Golson were willing, and Riley thought he would fit what they are trying to do...it would make sense. He's not that much behind the others in the system at this point and at the very least upgrades the #2 spot significantly.

• Fire 1