Why is everyone so down on Tommy? I wouldn't take Golson over TA. The measurables are similar and I think Tommy actually has a stronger arm. Our past coaching staff has proven that they weren't great at developing QBs so let's see what he can do with better coaching. I'm not willing to throw away 3 years of experience and leadership for a 1 year transfer. He also has 2 years of eligibility remaining to learn from this staff. Maybe I'm still hurt from the Sam Keller situation.

borat-letterman-high-five.gif

+1

Armstrong has the potential. The talent and the skills are all there. Now he's got the coaching and the system that will help him take the next step. I've been high on the kid from day one and I still think he can be the next great Husker Qb.

"Russell Wilson, who needs him?"

Sometimes they're great. Sometimes they're not.

We do not have that great of a QB situation right now. That said, plenty of high profile schools don't even have a solid returning starter (Texas??? Florida? FSU?), so I'd be very surprised if he gives us a look. But after what we saw from the QB position last year, I think it's silly to think we couldn't use a jolt there.

That said, I think the plan is to aggressively turn over the position to new recruits -- starting with 2 in the new class. If Golson were willing, and Riley thought he would fit what they are trying to do...it would make sense. He's not that much behind the others in the system at this point and at the very least upgrades the #2 spot significantly.

Man, Dalington looked super impressive in that spring game. I would think he's in the conversation for the future of the position after Armstrong graduates. Darlington is only a redshirt freshman correct?

Golson started the year as a Heisman Trophy candidate. I remember wishing we could have a quarterback like that.

But the two Notre Dame games I watched last year -- can't remember which, but one was a horrible loss -- I came away thinking he was no better than Tommy Armstrong.

Not sure I want Nebraska to seem like safe haven for guys who wash out on their own team.

Man, Dalington looked super impressive in that spring game. I would think he's in the conversation for the future of the position after Armstrong graduates. Darlington is only a redshirt freshman correct?

I think so too, but let's temper the expectations on Darlington a little bit for this year. Can he be the #2? He may have to be, but he's also a redshirt freshman with no experience, so what's the rush?

It looked amazing to us, because frankly we haven't seen competent quarterbacking at Nebraska for a long time, just athletes in a run-first system. I believe there's a quote attributed to Tim Beck how he told them they were "RBs who throw." This thing where a QB goes through two progressions or utilizes a checkdown is not revolutionary or extremely rare elsewhere, especially in a Spring Game against a vanilla 2nd-string defense and pass rush.

So, Darlington's prospects are pretty bright. But if Tommy goes down this year or can't put it together in the new offense, I'd be pretty worried to have him learn on the job, rather than behind the scenes. If we truly have an opportunity at a very seasoned QB who can throw, then I think we should get him and have him duke it out with Tommy. We won't get that opportunity, though, because again, such a QB will go somewhere where he doesn't even need to duke it out.

Right now our QB2 position is a toss-up between two guys who might be better off really learning behind the scenes this year. I don't know understand the argument that shoring up that spot is unnecessary...but of course, we'll make do.

Grabbing Sam Keller seemed like a coup at the time, and he was a decent quarterback.

In hindsight, it would have been smarter to promote Ganz.

Do your teammates want to follow a mercenary who comes in for a single season? Is there potential dissention when your hard-working two year starter is benched and a sizable contingent of the team doesn't see the upgrade?

Here are stats for Golson and Armstrong. To me, not a huge difference, except for completion percentage. Armstrong's rushing yardage helps make up for a difference in passing yardage.

STATS AND STUFF

I'll take a higher completion percentage and more passing yardage any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

And the coaches have stated repeatly that completion percentage is one of most important things they want in a qb.

He has more than double the turnovers than Armstrong last year. Anytime I saw a Notre Dame game, he was fumbling/throwing an interception.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12841334/quarterback-everett-golson-transferring-notre-dame-fighting-irish

"Last year Golson led the Irish to a 6-0 start before they lost at Florida State on a last-minute offensive pass interference call. The Irish then dropped five of their next six games with Golson finishing with 22 turnovers on the season. In the regular-season finale against USC, Golson was benched in the 49-14 loss."

A couple thoughts:

having a qb whose was discussed as a hiesman candidate come in for one year is a very good thing.

Our passing has not been great, and this would add valuable competition to the group. Potential is not the same as results.

What happens if Armstrong goes down? If Bush is second, as a number of people thought prior to the spring game, would you be comfortable with him?

If Armstrong is better, then great let him start. The point is that competition and a quality depth in the most important position is very valuable.

It would create a buzz for NU and bloster its recruiting efforts.

And lastly, may be most importantly, it's only a scholarship for one year!

I think so too, but let's temper the expectations on Darlington a little bit for this year. Can he be the #2? He may have to be, but he's also a redshirt freshman with no experience, so what's the rush?It looked amazing to us, because frankly we haven't seen competent quarterbacking at Nebraska for a long time, just athletes in a run-first system. I believe there's a quote attributed to Tim Beck how he told them they were "RBs who throw." This thing where a QB goes through two progressions or utilizes a checkdown is not revolutionary or extremely rare elsewhere, especially in a Spring Game against a vanilla 2nd-string defense and pass rush.So, Darlington's prospects are pretty bright. But if Tommy goes down this year or can't put it together in the new offense, I'd be pretty worried to have him learn on the job, rather than behind the scenes. If we truly have an opportunity at a very seasoned QB who can throw, then I think we should get him and have him duke it out with Tommy. We won't get that opportunity, though, because again, such a QB will go somewhere where he doesn't even need to duke it out.Right now our QB2 position is a toss-up between two guys who might be better off really learning behind the scenes this year. I don't know understand the argument that shoring up that spot is unnecessary...but of course, we'll make do.

No doubt. Tommy is the man this year. I'm really high on Armstrong, always have been. I think Tommy really pulls it all together this year and converts some of you doubters. Of course, I hoped for the same last season but let's face it, this is the first time Tommy will be seeing a lot of time with a true QB coach.

I definitely like what I saw from Darlington in the spring game. The guy clearly gets it mentally. I think Darlington does take over that backup role for this season. I trust these coaches to prepare him and finally have a guy ready in case the starter would struggle or go down with an injury. Much unlike the prior staff.

I'm excited to see what these guys put together on offense this season. I'm especially excited to see something different. Even if there are some wrinkles of the former offense, I want to see how Tommy executes some more traditional aspects of the game. I think the number one difference for Tommy will be that he and his WR's won't both be making reads all the time. The WR's running read routes definitely resulted in a lot of miscommunication and mistakes. Settle Tommy down a bit, make his job a bit less complicated, and let him play ball. I think he will be a natural when he becomes comfortable again. Of coure, the offensive line can help this whole "comfort level" in a big way. Or they can destroy it.

We don't really have a QB with Armstrong or Golson, we have athletes that can throw the ball.

Mike Riley needs a QB. Golson is the same thing we have. I doubt there is any interest in him.

He will be at South Carolina is my guess, maybe Georgia. Close to home.

No need in popping someone new into the system. He is not good enough to make a giant difference and then you would have the team thinking what happens next year. Loyalty goes both ways.

Darlington looks like he can play, but still major concerns about the concussions.

I'm thinking all of the discussion on Golson is going to be moot, because I don't see his chances of coming here being any more than a snowball's chance in hell. I wouldn't mind at least having a little more competition at the QB position. It's kinda like a decent looking single girl at a party. You don't really expect to take her to bed at the end of the night, but you certainly wouldn't kick her out if she gave you the chance.

Wait...

You guys are serious about wanting Golson?

If you are already down on Tommy, and were down on Martinez, get ready to be majorly let down by Golson... Because you guys that would want him, would hype him up, and in no way will we see an upgrade. If anything, we'd probably see him being benched, like he was benched for ND at the end of last season.

I am stumped sometimes. I truly am stumped by this...

Last 4 games last year: He was 66/123 for a completion percentage around 53%. OK, not bad, not great. I can live with that. But he had 8 TD's to 7 INTs. They were also 0-4...

That is FAR from an upgrade... You might not like Tommy, but get ready to hate Golson...